Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: 2013 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame nominees
Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: October 4, 2012 23:27

How can Joan Jett get in before the great Jim Croce? She only had two or three really big hits.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 4, 2012 23:36

FrankM
How can Joan Jett get in before the great Jim Croce? She only had two or three really big hits.

Mainly because it is NOT A REAL HOF, it should honestly be called
(not that people in charge of this have anything to do with honesty)
"The (mostly N. American) music, and rap, tourist attraction in Cleveland designed to bolster the ego of Jann Wenner"

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 5, 2012 00:30

The Meters Nominated for Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame

Posted Thursday, October 4th, 2012

The Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame might be getting some more New Orleans inductees.

Funk deities and Crescent City natives The Meters are among a group of 15 acts on a list of nominees for next spring's enshrinement.

Up in Cleveland, there's no secretive Academy. The only way the foursome will make the final cut is by getting the most votes from fans.

For all those times you've put them on during a crawfish boil or Carnival party, throw George, Art, Leo and Ziggy a bone by voting for them here: [rockhall.com]

[www.noladefender.com]

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 5, 2012 01:01

At this point they might just as well induct everyone who's ever had a record on the charts and be done with it.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 5, 2012 01:14

tatters
At this point they might just as well induct everyone who's ever had a record on the charts and be done with it.
Pretty much yeah. The only reason I like watching these anymore is for the bands that I like reuniting and saying some nice stuff. Its nice to see the people we like get inducted, but it means absolutely nothing at this point. I really wouldn't be surprised if they changed the name of it in a few years. Its drifted so far from Rock And Roll its a joke to be calling it that.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 5, 2012 01:35

Ridiculous and a sham. This is not a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. More like a music tourist trap.

Posted by: fredlynn19 ()
Date: October 5, 2012 02:00

if you do not know who the Meters are, I feel bad for you. If you are a Stones fan, you should know them , bc the Meters opened for the Stones. FUNK IT UP ART NEVILLE, LEO NOCENTELLI, GEORGE PORTER, ZIGABOO MODELISTE

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 5, 2012 02:03

don't forget "Zigaboo's" time with New Barbarians

ROCKMAN

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: October 5, 2012 02:17

rush and deep purple are worthy IMO

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: October 5, 2012 02:52

Any guitar player worth his salt will tell you Albert King should be in.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 5, 2012 02:58

Yeah there a a few that should be in from the recent batch. The Meters, Deep Purple, and a few others. But all the rap crap. Donna Summers? Please. Rock and Roll Hall of Shame.

Posted by: stonesriff ()
Date: October 5, 2012 04:11

Joan Jett? Seriously people. Rock n roll hall of fame? Ridiculous

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 5, 2012 05:25

None of these artists are what I would consider great except Albert King he should have been in years ago. The rest should not be in the hall. Rush is pure solid crap and Joan Jett come on!!!!! Please!!! What a joke. Public Enemy Rock and Roll?? WTF????

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: October 5, 2012 06:09

Well, despite all these "Rock" radio people being passed up (some of which I wish were in, and others I hope never make it), I do think Heart should make it on merit.

Apart from that and accepting that the "Rock and Roll" HOF is not really what the name suggests, in that context I think Donna Summer was overlooked and I should add I felt that way before she passed away recently. Yeah, it's disco but she really made her mark and in retrospect her songs hold up fairly well these days.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 5, 2012 06:10

Ever since its inception, I've always detested the very notion of "Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame". Taking a creative, once rebellious art form and institutionalizing it like it's a dumb sports museum, I mean really! And just like the sports Halls of Lame, artists are nominated and chosen by people who have not distinguished themselves in music: the media. Why don't they just have Rolling Stone magazine hand out Most Valuable [band] Member awards for each genre of music, and just be done with it?

Say, has anyone ever heard of the Blues Hall of Fame? It was started in 1980 by The Blues Foundation.

www.blues.org/halloffame/#ref=halloffame_index

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blues_Hall_of_Fame

How about the several Jazz Halls of Fame, too numerous to mention?

Did you know there's even a Hip Hop Hall of Fame?

hiphophof.tv/

There's a Folk Music Hall of Fame, too.

folkmusichalloffame.org

There's a Punk Hall of Fame, but it's officially Unofficial and only on Facebook, with only 15 likes (so far).

I still don't like the idea of a Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame... the various Hard Rock Cafes, that's museum enough for rock-n-roll...

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 5, 2012 06:16

StonesNow - You are probably right about RNR HOF but the baseball Hall of Fame is a great place to visit.

Date: October 5, 2012 06:17

whats with the hate for joan jett? she influenced pretty much every female rocker that came after her. isn't that what the HOF is about? influence? look at buffalo springfield. 1 hit and only 1.5 million albums sold in america yet they are in due to influence

Date: October 5, 2012 06:39

slew
StonesNow - You are probably right about RNR HOF but the baseball Hall of Fame is a great place to visit.

It's also very hard to get into. Only 295 inductees since it opened in 1936. That's roughly four people per year. Some years, only one or two get in. If the rock hall made it harder to get into, and inducted fewer people, there might be more of a consensus about who those people should be. It's too late now, of course. They've already screwed it up beyond the point of no return.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-05 13:29 by tatters.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 5, 2012 08:15

The thing about the Baseball Hall of Fame is that it's based on stats and hard numbers.

RnR HoF is pretty subjective, and based on the whims of critics who are more concerned about looking hip.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: October 5, 2012 08:20

keefriffhard4life
whats with the hate for joan jett? she influenced pretty much every female rocker that came after her. isn't that what the HOF is about? influence? look at buffalo springfield. 1 hit and only 1.5 million albums sold in america yet they are in due to influence

I agree.

New York Dolls - great band,huge influence- never had a hit,record sales are poor
The MC5 - great band,huge influence -never had a hit,record sales are poor
Iggy & The Stooges - well, at least they are in Hall of Fame - but the same thing, no hits, poor record sales, but the influence is huge, - and I could say the same thing about Public Enemy, N.W.A - those guys had a huge influence in what they were doing...and the Meters deserve to be there too, for sure..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-05 08:22 by seitan.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: October 5, 2012 09:14

DandelionPowderman
RollingFreak
I believe they choose 6 or 7 of these people:

[www.latimes.com]

-Rush
-Paul Butterfield Blues Band
-Deep Purple
-Albert King
-Procol Harum
-Heart
-Joan Jett And The Blackhearts
-Randy Newman
-Public Enemy
-N.W.A.
-Donna Summer
-Chic
-Kraftwerk
-The Marvelettes
-The Meters

No one really Hall Of Fame worthy is up this year IMO. But then again the Hall has become a joke anyway so who really cares. If forced to choose, I would take the first 7 from Rush to Joan Jett. The rest aren't rock or influential enough to be in.

Those were my exact 5

--oops, no I said Heart instead of Deep Purple tho it was a toss-up because they both deserve it.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 5, 2012 09:26

Nile Rodgers' co-production of SHE'S THE BOSS warrants Chic's induction.

Date: October 5, 2012 11:01

I'm absolutely serious in my curiosity. Some people are picking Public Enemy as one of their picks if they were given the choice. I'm honestly curious as to how you guys think they fit in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame? They don't even strike me as someone remotely connected with the genre, unlike Run DMC who essentially got in because of their connection to Aerosmith for one song.

Date: October 5, 2012 11:09

RollingFreak
I'm absolutely serious in my curiosity. Some people are picking Public Enemy as one of their picks if they were given the choice. I'm honestly curious as to how you guys think they fit in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame? They don't even strike me as someone remotely connected with the genre, unlike Run DMC who essentially got in because of their connection to Aerosmith for one song.

i think even without the aerosmith tune run dmc would be in. they sample and played a lot rock beats behind their rapping.

public enemy has done the same with rock beats but not as many plus the members appeared on songs by several rock artists (meat loaf and anthrax off the top on my head)

Date: October 5, 2012 11:30

keefriffhard4life
RollingFreak

i think even without the aerosmith tune run dmc would be in. they sample and played a lot rock beats behind their rapping.

public enemy has done the same with rock beats but not as many plus the members appeared on songs by several rock artists (meat loaf and anthrax off the top on my head)
Eh, doesn't really seem enough to be inducted into a Hall specifically for Rock. They haven't really furthered or influenced rock in any way. It has just appeared sometimes within their music. Its as if the Hall tries to find these technicalities to broaden those that get in. Not trying to pick on them or you, they just happen to the punching bag this year that I don't understand.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 5, 2012 11:42

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: October 5, 2012 12:26

the saucepan is almost empty.. r'n'r' is in bad shape.
any news from willy deville? is he always out of hall of fame?

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 5, 2012 13:26

loog droog
The thing about the Baseball Hall of Fame is that it's based on stats and hard numbers.

RnR HoF is pretty subjective, and based on the whims of critics who are more concerned about looking hip.

And social politics, from Enos Slaughter to Pete Rose. If it really were based on stats and hard numbers, then Pete Rose would have been inducted in 1990.

Date: October 5, 2012 13:38

loog droog

Not entirely. Ray Schalk, a catcher with a lifetime batting average of only .253, was inducted primarily because he was known as an outstanding defensive catcher and handler of pitchers. The slugger Dave Kingman, on the other hand, was never even seriously considered for induction, despite hitting 442 career home runs.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: October 5, 2012 14:48

tatters
loog droog

Not entirely. Ray Schalk, a catcher with a lifetime batting average of only .253, was inducted primarily because he was known as an outstanding defensive catcher and handler of pitchers. The slugger Dave Kingman, on the other hand, was never even seriously considered for induction, despite hitting 442 career home runs.

Yeah, that's entirely true. Add politics to the "fickle finger of fate" and you have a case like Dave Kingman.

I am not saying he actually belongs in the Baseball HOF, but not only did he have what was considered a very poor attitude at the time (practically a nice guy compared to some of the characters in more recent years), and read part of that as just not being compliant with the media, but he was on the wrong teams in the wrong years. He is considered the quintessential " bum " - a strikeout artist with little talent for anything but hitting long homeruns.

But in reality, despite not being a particular good fielder, he actually was willing to bunt runners over, and able to bunt for a base hit, but he could also steal a base, was willing to dive for balls in the outfield, not shy away from collisions at the plate etc. He also played 1B and 3B (not particularly well in either case, it's true) as well as the outfield. Compare this to his contemporaries. Compared to Reggie Jackson, Kingman was nearly Willie Mays in the outfield. Plug him into the lineup of the early dynastic lineup of the Oakland A's as Reggie was, or into the Big Red Machine in George Foster's spot or Jack Clark's spot on the Championship Cardinals, and he would have outdone them watching a steady diet of fastballs with men on base nearly everytime he came to bat. His Homerun to At Bat ratio was actually exceeding that of Babe Ruth well into his early career when he was routinely benched.

But so it goes...

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1992
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home