Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Will Black & Blue ever be a Vault/Special Edition release?
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 17, 2023 21:46

Of the handful of 1970s Golden Age/Rolling Stones Records left, I can only imagine Black and Blue being worthy of a special edition. IORR is kind of middling, and I don't think it would generate much interest. I'd be interested to know if the GHS special edition sold decently.

Black and Blue should have tons of unreleased tracks, due to the guitarist tryouts with Perkins, Mandel and Jeff Beck. (There might have been others I'm not aware of.) Plus the group seemed in a funky mood, with Hot Stuff and Hey Negrita being appreciated more as time has passed. They also seem to be experimenting with more reggae. (At least Keith was).

I remember thinking the original album was skint on tracks (8) when I bought it in '76. And I thought it an odd mix, though I enjoyed the entire album in time. Other than Tattoo You, I don't think any of the 80s albums will see a special edition with bonus cuts.

Re: Will Black & Blue ever be a Vault/Special Edition release?
Date: March 17, 2023 22:14

NO.

Date: March 17, 2023 23:07

Wouldn't mind that. Built That Way, Slave with Ronnie and other gems.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-18 10:55 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: March 18, 2023 09:53

Definitely!

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: March 18, 2023 10:54

That would be an interesting one.
And if the figure out the copyright issues with Paris76,
they could even include a live video in the box.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 18, 2023 13:52

Honestly I think I'm passed these mega packaged album re-releases.

I want the songs, but let's do a vault clear out a la the 90s Beatles 3 volume Anthology series.

I think the expanded album stuff has past its zenith and they just don't sell in the numbers that make them any real money. And that's with the marquee albums thinking about Tattoo You being the most recent.

Making us buy the original material over and over again is like, 'enough already'...let's focus on a really nicely packaged anthology of unreleased material, that would create excitement.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: March 18, 2023 13:58

They already 'spoiled' Black And Blue Deluxe with separate edition of El Mocambo (well if you can call that 'spoiled', because it was El Mocambo)

Thus, if they figure out copyrights, as falo01 mentioned, we might get Paris 76 as 'From The Vault' release.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: March 18, 2023 17:39

Something sacred like El Mocambo that fans have been asking for decades has barely passed 50.000 copies sold worldwide, a deluxe edition of Black and Blue, an album that the public barely remembers and doesn't have a single song that is very well known would be in the same numbers or even less.

Tattoo You has already sold very little and that was 2 years ago, the interest in old outtakes is less and less with the old fans dying, the only thing that can generate a little interest is an anthology-type collection and time has passed for that too, an anthology of the Stones in 1995-2005 would have sold very well but today there's not much public left to sell that material and for new/casual fans the only thing that matters is the hits on Hot Rocks or a Spotify playlist.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: March 18, 2023 18:13

georgelicks
Something sacred like El Mocambo that fans have been asking for decades has barely passed 50.000 copies sold worldwide, a deluxe edition of Black and Blue, an album that the public barely remembers and doesn't have a single song that is very well known would be in the same numbers or even less.

Tattoo You has already sold very little and that was 2 years ago, the interest in old outtakes is less and less with the old fans dying, the only thing that can generate a little interest is an anthology-type collection and time has passed for that too, an anthology of the Stones in 1995-2005 would have sold very well but today there's not much public left to sell that material and for new/casual fans the only thing that matters is the hits on Hot Rocks or a Spotify playlist.

My god, that is depressing to hear.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 18, 2023 18:25

GetYerAngie
georgelicks

My god, that is depressing to hear.

In recent spell in hospital, I was attended to by a female 26 year old British nurse who didn't know one song, all warhorses, that I asked her if she liked. ... she promised me she would "ask Alexa".

I'd definitely 'vote' for more Black & Blue

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-19 04:00 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 18, 2023 18:56

24FPS
Of the handful of 1970s Golden Age/Rolling Stones Records left, I can only imagine Black and Blue being worthy of a special edition. IORR is kind of middling, and I don't think it would generate much interest. I'd be interested to know if the GHS special edition sold decently.

Black and Blue should have tons of unreleased tracks, due to the guitarist tryouts with Perkins, Mandel and Jeff Beck. (There might have been others I'm not aware of.) Plus the group seemed in a funky mood, with Hot Stuff and Hey Negrita being appreciated more as time has passed. They also seem to be experimenting with more reggae. (At least Keith was).

I remember thinking the original album was skint on tracks (8) when I bought it in '76. And I thought it an odd mix, though I enjoyed the entire album in time. Other than Tattoo You, I don't think any of the 80s albums will see a special edition with bonus cuts.

I see what you mean, but it should be remembered that the tracks were all relatively long. Black & Blue’s running-time is pretty standard. Any more tracks, and it’d have had to have been a double-LP.

It’s not an album I have a particular connection to, personally. It’s not a ‘classic’ and it’s one of theirs that I came to discover when I was going through my completist phase. I do quite like some of the album, though. I should give it a proper listen one day soon! It’s been a while.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1937
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home