Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: R.I.P. Barrett Strong
Posted by: Congratulations ()
Date: January 30, 2023 14:37

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Time to dig out this gem...

Re: OT: R.I.P. Barrett Strong
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 30, 2023 15:26

RIP Strong.

His creative output to his hit "Money" is disputed, but the Motown stuff he did with Norman Whitfield, him being mostly in responsible for lyrics, is simply mind-blowing: "Grapevine", "War", "Just My Imagination", "Papa Was A Rollin' Stone", "Cloud 9", etc. etc... Oh man, the man/men knew how to craft songs.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-30 15:30 by Doxa.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 30, 2023 17:00

Rest in Peace, Barrett Strong.

I often forget about the Stones' rendition of Money, that most earliest of Motown classics, with the Beatles' own legendary cover being one of the most pulsating, exciting releases of 1963. The Stones shouldn't have buried it on an EP!

Date: January 30, 2023 17:08

Big Al

I often forget about the Stones' rendition of Money, that most earliest of Motown classics, with the Beatles' own legendary cover being one of the most pulsating, exciting releases of 1963. The Stones shouldn't have buried it on an EP!

Not sure I'd call being on a UK chart-topping EP "buried"! It only seems like that in retrospect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-30 17:09 by Congratulations.

Date: January 30, 2023 17:13

Congratulations
Big Al

Not sure I'd call being on a UK chart-topping EP "buried"! It only seems like that in retrospect.

No, I'm aware that the EP was a huge success, but it didn't receive a U.S. release until 1973 , and, to this day, is only available - in a widely-availably sense, that is - on Big Hits and Fazed Cookies, a somewhat lesser-known compilation. What I'm getting at, in fact, is that the Stones' recording of Money hasn't had much exposure since the release of that EP in 1964.

Date: January 30, 2023 17:56

Yeah I get to know the Stones version of "Money" in a collection called NO STONE UNTURNED - at the time a handy album for an an amateur collector as me to get rare b-sides and other rare tracks from a Decca era. I guess the album was released initially in early 70's - one of those ABKCO releases the band hated so much at the time.

I bought later the original EP and damn it is a great recording! One of my favourite Stones releases. Catching the band on its early wild, primitive essence. The sound is raw and heavy, continuing the soundscape of "I Wanna Be Your Man". For example, the contrast to Beatles reading of "Money" (that includes I think one of Lennon's best vocals) is incredible. The guitar-heavy Stones version is almost hard rock or punk!

True that outside of "You Better Move On" the material on that EP - an important British release - remained pretty unknown for an international audience. The Americans didn't get to know "Money" and "Bye Bye Johnny" until mentioned MORE HOT ROCKS, and "Poison Ivy" many, many years later. All the songs pl. "Money" did however make a profilic Mid-European 1964 release AROUND AND AROUND, though (one of my earliest Stones albums, circulating a lot here in Finland, so I have known all the tracks pl. "Money" pretty early on).

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-30 18:01 by Doxa.

Date: January 30, 2023 19:14

Doxa
Yeah I get to know the Stones version of "Money" in a collection called NO STONE UNTURNED - at the time a handy album for an an amateur collector as me to get rare b-sides and other rare tracks from a Decca era. I guess the album was released initially in early 70's - one of those ABKCO releases the band hated so much at the time.

I first heard it there too.

It's a shame that the Stones' Decca recordings never had a "tidy up" when reissued on CD, as The Beatles did with their two 'Past Masters' collections.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 30, 2023 19:47

RIP

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 30, 2023 20:23

Damn...very sad news....

RIP BARRET STRONG

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: January 30, 2023 20:45

Just My Imagination

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: January 30, 2023 20:47

Ain’t To Proud To Beg

[youtu.be]

Date: January 30, 2023 20:53

Christiaan
Just My Imagination

[youtu.be]

My favourite version. I hope Barrett didnt mind Mick a bit changing the lyrics. Not just the New York bit, but here that punkish "In reality, she doesn't @#$%&' KNOW ME!.."cool smiley

- Doxa

Date: January 30, 2023 22:42

Congratulations
Doxa

I first heard it there too.

It's a shame that the Stones' Decca recordings never had a "tidy up" when reissued on CD, as The Beatles did with their two 'Past Masters' collections.

This is my view, too. I’ve long thought that the Stones would’ve been better served with having the UK DECCA albums as the global releases, with an equivalent of the Beatles’ Past Masters set to tidy up all those non—album tracks. This ship has long sailed, but at least those original U.K. albums are once more ‘officially available’ on iTunes and box-sets, etc.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 30, 2023 22:54

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dkwalika ()
Date: January 31, 2023 01:00

I heard on NPR that "Money" was the only song covered by both the Stones and Beatles (that wasn't written by one or the other).

That seems had to believe.

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: January 31, 2023 03:48

dkwalika
I heard on NPR that "Money" was the only song covered by both the Stones and Beatles (that wasn't written by one or the other).

They both covered "Roll over Beethoven". I don't think the Stones version was officially released.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 31, 2023 04:26

My favorite version is the Kingsmen. Then the punky version by the Stones. Thirdly John singing on the Beatle version.

Date: January 31, 2023 08:27

MisterO
dkwalika

They both covered "Roll over Beethoven". I don't think the Stones version was officially released.

If we include BBC and live recordings, they also both covered Chuck's 'Carol', 'Little Queenie', 'Memphis, Tennessee' and 'I’m Talking About You' (they were also keen fans of Arthur Alexander, The Coasters and Larry Williams, but surprisingly covered different songs by each of the artists).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-31 10:09 by Congratulations.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1885
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home