Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Why Did Humans Evolve Such A Love For Music? Theories, in 22 min.
Posted by: TheBluesHadaBaby ()
Date: January 27, 2023 02:53

I've enjoyed sociobiology, at the layman's level, ever since it broke in the 1970s in Edward O. Wilson's book of the same name. The preferred term has since become evolutionary psychology. I'm interested in anthropology overall as well.

And I love music.

The subjects overlap when pondering the matter of just why we human beings love music so much. What is its evolutionary function, or functions, plural? What is its utility to us, its benefit? How did and does it help us survive? What added fitness does it impart to the species?

Books have been written on this subject, some of which I'm sure some of you have read.

Stefan Milo, a Englishman residing in America, is a youtube popularizer of anthropology. He works hard at boiling things down into digestable summaries for us non-scientists, and I've enjoyed a number of his videos. As I recently did this one, in which he summarizes the leading theories on what it is about music that so captivates and holds us. Why, specifically, is it able to?

I thought some Stones fans might appreciate the vid, too. Of course it's not as informative as reading a book, but it does impart a lot in only 22 minutes.

[youtu.be]

I'm down in Virginia
with your Cousin Lou

Re: OT: Why Did Humans Evolve Such A Love For Music? Theories, in 22 min.
Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: January 28, 2023 20:04

Thanks so much for sharing this. Quite intriguing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1477
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home