Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Alive Rockers vs Dead Rockers
Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: January 20, 2023 17:58

Seems like we're getting to the point where it's debatable whether the rockers who are still alive are more influential, better, etc. than those who have died. Not trying to be morbid, just thought this would be a good discussion. Can't wait to hear what you all think...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-20 19:25 by bv.

Re: Alive Rockers vs Dead Rockers
Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: January 20, 2023 18:13

Still have 3 Stones, 2 Beatles, 2 WHO, 3 Led Zeppelin, Angus Young, Ray and Dave. Bet the next decade is going to get really depressing

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 20, 2023 18:33

Whenever one of them died, like recently Beck, I get the feeling that I'm responsible to feel something about it. I am not a fan of old guys I am a fan of the Stones. I get that the Stones feel something about it, they don't have many peers, but do I have to? I was bombarded with links to Beck songs I am supposed to know and it just feels like more homework.

Posted by: Congratulations ()
Date: January 20, 2023 18:36

Jerry Lee Lewis was the last of the main original US rockers (the kinda people who would've influenced the Stones & The Beatles etc). There are a few slightly later ones though, such as Duane Eddy, Brenda Lee, Freddy Cannon, Chubby Checker & Chris Montez.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-20 18:36 by Congratulations.

Date: January 20, 2023 18:37

DrPete
Still have 3 Stones, 2 Beatles, 2 WHO, 3 Led Zeppelin, Angus Young, Ray and Dave. Bet the next decade is going to get really depressing

Don't forget Neil Young, Roger Waters, David Gilmour, Bob Dylan...

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 20, 2023 18:44

Nikkei
Whenever one of them died, like recently Beck, I get the feeling that I'm responsible to feel something about it. I am not a fan of old guys I am a fan of the Stones. I get that the Stones feel something about it, they don't have many peers, but do I have to? I was bombarded with links to Beck songs I am supposed to know and it just feels like more homework.

I understand what you're saying here, and for me, I was aware of Jeff Beck - even have a couple of his early albums with Ronnie, but only because of the tie-in. I don't generally listen to them. Weren't they also released on Apple? That might be another reason why I have them. I'd have to go Google that fact, but I thought they were. Anyway, when he passed, I watched a couple of videos of him playing, and I was completely blown away. I felt like I'd been under a rock all these years, and really missed someone truly great. I have to go listen to his catalog now, one of these days. I did find it remarkable, too that he didn't seem to use a pick - at least in the few vids that I watched.

My point? Sometimes that homework leads us to tremendous rewards!!! thumbs up

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 20, 2023 18:49

You know if we live another 20 years we will will see everybody gone. Page, Dylan, Stevie Wonder etc. My wife and I talk about this from time to time. Its hard to comprehend. Everybody and everything dies.

Date: January 20, 2023 18:54

VoodooLounge13
Nikkei

I understand what you're saying here, and for me, I was aware of Jeff Beck - even have a couple of his early albums with Ronnie, but only because of the tie-in. I don't generally listen to them. Weren't they also released on Apple? That might be another reason why I have them. I'd have to go Google that fact, but I thought they were. Anyway, when he passed, I watched a couple of videos of him playing, and I was completely blown away. I felt like I'd been under a rock all these years, and really missed someone truly great. I have to go listen to his catalog now, one of these days. I did find it remarkable, too that he didn't seem to use a pick - at least in the few vids that I watched.

My point? Sometimes that homework leads us to tremendous rewards!!! thumbs up

OK so it turns out they were not released on Apple - I guess the Apple cover was just playing tricks on me today! drinking smiley

Date: January 20, 2023 18:57

More Hot Rocks
You know if we live another 20 years we will will see everybody gone. Page, Dylan, Stevie Wonder etc. My wife and I talk about this from time to time. It's hard to comprehend. Everybody and everything dies.

Very true! If you go with 20 years, an overwhelming number of the 60's band members will be no more (let's not forget Brian Wilson too). And in addition to that, quite a few members of 70's bands will also have passed.

There's no escaping death that's for sure, but that is indeed an incredibly depressing thought when one considers that there is just no one today to take on a musical legacy of (fill in the blank). It's a whole different industry these days.

Date: January 20, 2023 18:57

Okay so I have a general idea how he blew people away because of his guest performance with the Stones ten years ago. It was immediately obvious how great he was, but to me it also was immediately obvious why the Stones wouldn't have any more of that. In that regard i wonder if they ever asked Jimmy Page on.

Posted by: Congratulations ()
Date: January 20, 2023 19:03

DrPete
Still have 3 Stones, 2 Beatles, 2 WHO, Ray and Dave.

For British Invasion-era groups, I believe we still have at least 50% surviving (albeit, many long retired). Here's a few, based on the original/key line-ups:

The Kinks (3/4) (drummer Mick Avory is also still very much alive)
The Animals (3/5)
Manfred Mann (5/5)
The Yardbirds [Jeff Beck era] (3/5)
The Spencer Davis Group (3/4)
The Searchers (2/4)
The Dave Clark Five (2/5)
Herman's Hermits (4/5)
Gerry & The Pacemakers (1/4)
Cliff Richard/The Shadows (3/5)
Johnny Kidd & The Pirates (1/4)
The Swinging Blues Jeans (3/4)
The Hollies (4/5)
Brian Poole & The Tremeloes (3/5)
The Pretty Things (3/5)
The Small Faces (1/4)

...and in the USA:

The Byrds (2/5)
The Beach Boys (3/5)
The Monkees (1/4)
The Ventures (0/4)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-01-20 21:01 by Congratulations.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 20, 2023 19:39

Nikkei
Okay so I have a general idea how he blew people away because of his guest performance with the Stones ten years ago. It was immediately obvious how great he was, but to me it also was immediately obvious why the Stones wouldn't have any more of that. In that regard i wonder if they ever asked Jimmy Page on.

I've read Charlie interviews where he talked fondly of playing with Beck. They did share the love of jazz & Jeff was very professional. There is tons of music out there where Jeff was a hired gun. A few good examples are "Amused to Death" by Roger Waters & a single of "I Want To Know What Love Is" by Wynnona Judd. Incredible guitar on both of those.

Date: January 20, 2023 19:53

crholmstrom
Nikkei

I've read Charlie interviews where he talked fondly of playing with Beck. They did share the love of jazz & Jeff was very professional. There is tons of music out there where Jeff was a hired gun. A few good examples are "Amused to Death" by Roger Waters & a single of "I Want To Know What Love Is" by Wynnona Judd. Incredible guitar on both of those.

Amused to Death is my favorite Waters solo album. Don Henley and Randy Jackson also play on it.

Re: OT: Alive Rockers vs Dead Rockers
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: January 20, 2023 21:44

yeah its gonna be a rough decade for my musical hero's

iorr's gonna more and more resemble a graveyard of rip pages

but it does seem like boomer artists won't go down without a fight many are still performing and seem like they may continue to for the remainder of there lives

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 20, 2023 21:49

Nikkei

Well...when you're 14 years old that's a lot to put on your plate!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 20, 2023 21:52

Might as well have a Obituary thread. Sorry if it sounds insensitive, but I'm thinking about Keith's comment when he said "some of us don't make it to 70".
Honestly though I haven't lived a fast life/drug abuse but I don't expect 70 for myself. It's a little hard for me to feel sorry for celebs that live into their 80's or 90's. There I've said it for others that might be thinking it. Furthermore, I would like to say I believe death is a reward for a life well lived. That's my perspective.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: January 20, 2023 21:58

treaclefingers
Nikkei

You don't think about this when you are 14...

Date: January 20, 2023 23:08

treaclefingers
Nikkei

Well I think of this as extracurricular RocknRoll School activity. Fridays at two pm. You're supposed to get extra credits for those, not extra homework.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 21, 2023 00:02

Depressing, but to be expected. If you make it to 80, or thereabouts, death can come at any time, and it can come fast. That's what I would prefer. I've seen greatness in my life. I can't complain. It doesn't seem like Jeff Beck suffered much. God, he was good live. Maybe the fact we're all finite, makes it more interesting. I'm a writer. I wanted to get a certain amount of books done before the end. It's what keeps me going. I think it would be strange to retire and just living out the string with no goals or passion to live for.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 21, 2023 00:49

Nikkei
treaclefingers
Nikkei

Well I think of this as extracurricular RocknRoll School activity. Fridays at two pm. You're supposed to get extra credits for those, not extra homework.

I expect your essay on "The effect of Beggar's Banquet on Modern Country Western Music" on my desk by 9 am Monday morning young man.

Date: January 21, 2023 01:33

treaclefingers
Nikkei
treaclefingers
Nikkei

I expect your essay on "The effect of Beggar's Banquet on Modern Country Western Music" on my desk by 9 am Monday morning young man.

Sigh uhm ok does Factory Girl belong into country or can it be mostly about Dear Doctor. Wait does that mean I first have to listen to all Modern Country?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1565
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home