Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

First Stones song Keith liked
Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: November 28, 2022 17:51

Cool, short read. Many of you may already know this. Sorry if posted previously.

[www.msn.com]

Re: First Stones song Keith liked
Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: November 28, 2022 21:09

Didn't know this but love the info. The Last Time is the song that first turned me onto the Stones and hooked me for life (I bought High Tides Green Grass age 12 for a quarter at a garage sale.)

I've yet to hear it live though, keep going to shows hoping for it!

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: November 28, 2022 21:13

snoopy2
Didn't know this but love the info. The Last Time is the song that first turned me onto the Stones and hooked me for life (I bought High Tides Green Grass age 12 for a quarter at a garage sale.)

Considering the uncertainty of when their last show may be, they should play it.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 29, 2022 13:50

snoopy2

What a coincidence !

That was the album that first hooked me too at the age of 12 ...bought mine from a local junk shop ...and I still have it grinning smiley

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: November 29, 2022 15:46

Keith has obviously forgotten about "Tell Me" and "Little By Little" which totally contradict what he said in the interview.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: November 29, 2022 16:37

Kingbeebuzz
Keith has obviously forgotten about "Tell Me" and "Little By Little" which totally contradict what he said in the interview.

A lot of mythology around the Jagger/Richards songwriting origin story.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 29, 2022 16:52

A lot of mythology ?

...more like a lot of total nonsense !

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: November 29, 2022 17:08

I think that this story was originally mentioned in Tony Sanchez's book Up And Down With The Rolling Stones. To me it does make sense, personally I think that The Last Time is way above their earlier compositions, their first self-written smash hit record, pointing out the 'definitive' Stones sound, confirmed a short while later by I Can't Get No.

Apparently Keith remembered this, too smiling smiley

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: November 29, 2022 17:32

The Last Time is indeed a great, catchy, radio friendly song.......made a hit imo due to Brian’s riff throughout. However, it can be well argued that it is not an entirely self penned Jagger/Richards song. It is in fact a clever interpretation or rewrite of an existing song.....which is what they did with ALL their hits up to that time. The first genuine self penned hit was Satisfaction. IMO.

Date: November 29, 2022 17:46

Kingbeebuzz
The Last Time is indeed a great, catchy, radio friendly song.......made a hit imo due to Brian’s riff throughout. However, it can be well argued that it is not an entirely self penned Jagger/Richards song. It is in fact a clever interpretation or rewrite of an existing song.....which is what they did with ALL their hits up to that time. The first genuine self penned hit was Satisfaction. IMO.

I'm curious to know what original song they used for The Last Time (not that I doubt this by any means), and also to which songs the "ALL their hits up to that time" refers to, unless, by "interpretations" you mean covers of course.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: November 29, 2022 23:57

I hear traces of Everybody needs somebody to love" (1964) in "The last Time" (1965).

Posted by: Zotz ()
Date: November 30, 2022 00:27

The Staple Singers 'This May Be The Last Time'

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 30, 2022 00:27

SomeGuy
Kingbeebuzz

I'm curious to know what original song they used for The Last Time (not that I doubt this by any means), and also to which songs the "ALL their hits up to that time" refers to, unless, by "interpretations" you mean covers of course.

Staples Singers This May Be The Last Time. When Mick was on SNL and played The Last Time with Arcade Fire, they began with the gospel singing like on the original.

Date: November 30, 2022 20:14

Zotz

Thanks. There is some degree of similarity.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 1, 2022 02:02

As Tears Go By and Play with Fire are classics

Date: December 1, 2022 12:05

<made a hit imo due to Brian’s riff throughout>

An important part, indeed. However, the lyrics and the chorus grabbed me just as much, if not more.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 1, 2022 18:22

SomeGuy
Zotz

Other than the lyrics and melody they're totally different.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: December 1, 2022 19:09

Spud
snoopy2

What a coincidence !

That was the album that first hooked me too at the age of 12 ...bought mine from a local junk shop ...and I still have it grinning smiley

Love it

Date: December 1, 2022 20:55

treaclefingers
SomeGuy
Zotz

I would say the song is entirely different except a small part of the lyrics and melody

Date: December 1, 2022 23:49

SomeGuy
treaclefingers
SomeGuy
Zotz

I would say the song is entirely different except a small part of the lyrics and melody

Yeah but who are you? You're just someguy.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 2, 2022 00:26

treaclefingers
SomeGuy
treaclefingers
SomeGuy
Zotz

I'm still puzzled over the Stones giving kd lang a songwriting credit on Anybody Seen My Baby because the chorus sounds a bit like her song Constant Craving. She didn't even lodge a complaint about it!

Date: December 2, 2022 01:09

treaclefingers
SomeGuy
treaclefingers
SomeGuy
Zotz

You don't say

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-02 01:17 by SomeGuy.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: December 2, 2022 02:56

In the 2003 book According to the Rolling Stones, Keith Richards wrote: "We didn't find it difficult to write pop songs, but it was VERY difficult - and I think Mick will agree - to write one for the Stones. It seemed to us it took months and months and in the end we came up with The Last Time, which was basically re-adapting a traditional gospel song that had been sung by the Staple Singers, but luckily the song itself goes back into the mists of time. I think I was trying to learn it on the guitar just to get the chords, sitting there playing along with the record, no gigs, nothing else to do. At least we put our own stamp on it, as the Staple Singers had done, and as many other people have before and since: they're still singing it in churches today. It gave us something to build on to create the first song that we felt we could decently present to the band to play... The Last Time was kind of a bridge into thinking about writing for the Stones. It gave us a level of confidence; a pathway of how to do it. And once we had done that we were in the game. There was no mercy, because then we had to come up with the next one. We had entered a race without even knowing it." >>

Date: December 2, 2022 22:20

DGA35
treaclefingers
SomeGuy
treaclefingers
SomeGuy
Zotz

I'm still puzzled over the Stones giving kd lang a songwriting credit on Anybody Seen My Baby because the chorus sounds a bit like her song Constant Craving. She didn't even lodge a complaint about it!

I think they were just being pre-emptive and I gotta say, the press was great on it so what the hell.

Way better than releasing it and then the critics pounding on them after the fact.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1994
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home