Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Backstage at TOTP (July 1969)
Posted by: slane82 ()
Date: November 18, 2022 17:57

[bbcphotosales.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-18 18:28 by slane82.

Backstage at TOTP (January 1967)
Date: November 18, 2022 18:12

[bbcphotosales.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-18 18:37 by slane82.

Re: Backstage at TOTP (July 1969)
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 18, 2022 19:39

Surprised the pictures featuring Jimmy Saville are up!

This was the first of the Stones’ two appearances on TOTP in ‘69, I believe. I’m fact, these backstage shots are from the first appearance, of which, the footage only quite recently surfaced; it’s been posted here on Tell Me before, of course.

On a side note: this may have been the Stones’ final appearance on U.K. television in B&W, as their second appearance on TOTP that year is in colour. Of course, many households had only B&W sets for a good few years to come, I’d imagine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-18 19:40 by Big Al.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 18, 2022 22:47

Big Al

This was the first of the Stones’ two appearances on TOTP in ‘69, I believe. I’m fact, these backstage shots are from the first appearance, of which, the footage only quite recently surfaced; it’s been posted here on Tell Me before, of course.

Hang on there! Are you saying that footage of the FIRST Stones appearance has been found and a link posted on IORR? I can't find it! Point me to it PLEASE! :-))

AFIK their first appearance was on the very FIRST TOTP and the fact that there are no recordings of that first show (which turned into something more than important) has been bugging many people for a very long time.

WOW!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 18, 2022 23:17

CaptainCorella
Big Al

Hang on there! Are you saying that footage of the FIRST Stones appearance has been found and a link posted on IORR? I can't find it! Point me to it PLEASE! :-))

AFIK their first appearance was on the very FIRST TOTP and the fact that there are no recordings of that first show (which turned into something more than important) has been bugging many people for a very long time.

WOW!

I think he meant 1969. Honky Tonk Women, and what else? Gimme Shelter?

Date: November 18, 2022 23:23

No, I meant the first of their two appearances in 1969 was unearthed a little while back. I think their first TOTP performance is inexjstsnce though, isn’t it? I’m sure it’s from early ‘64 and features them mining to Not Fade Away.

Date: November 18, 2022 23:26

I’ve always thought this was a snippet from their first-ever TOTP appearance. I’ve never seen the whole sequence available anywhere.

[m.youtube.com]

Date: November 19, 2022 03:07

Big Al
I’ve always thought this was a snippet from their first-ever TOTP appearance. I’ve never seen the whole sequence available anywhere.

[m.youtube.com]

The Stones did "I Wanna Be Your Man" at the first TOTP, so this recording can't be from the first show. (Source Wyman : Rolling With The Stones).

As well noted & known, the BBC deleted TV recordings fairly swiftly - and in all fairness AT THE TIME each recorded item was expensive in media costs. 60 years later that's hard to understand.

But, from time to time, stuff emerges. Sometimes from people who (literally) filmed their TV - although this is unlikely for the first episode of a brand new show. Sometimes from staff on a show who sneakily had another recording running. But most often from another TV station (UK or overseas) to whom a copy may have been sent for broadcast overseas or in another part of the UK.

The First Episode of TOTP would be an absolutely sensational find.

(Not unlike some recordings of The Beatles "Pop Go The Beatles" (radio show) that were deleted by the BBC but made off air (VHF) by a fan and handed over to the BBC a few years ago.)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 19, 2022 03:20

ROCKMAN

Date: November 19, 2022 07:45

Rockman's post shows intriguing PROOF that the performance aired on Jan 2 was recorded, and likely kept for 3 months.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: November 19, 2022 07:59

[bbcphotosales.co.uk]

The footage of the first TOTP could have survived, but it's very unlikely. The BBC didn't even keep recordings of the moon landing in 1969.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: November 19, 2022 10:38

Rockman

hey i got that book too

but it would seem that clip must be from the march 12, 1964 appearance

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: November 19, 2022 10:46

Big Al
Surprised the pictures featuring Jimmy Saville are up!

On a side note: this may have been the Stones’ final appearance on U.K. television in B&W, as their second appearance on TOTP that year is in colour. Of course, many households had only B&W sets for a good few years to come, I’d imagine.

it might actually very well could have been

i never thought about that but your probably right

Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: November 19, 2022 11:03

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: November 20, 2022 04:28

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: November 20, 2022 19:02

exilestones

[bbcphotosales.co.uk]

Wow these pictures are amazing!!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 21, 2022 01:42

So, after a decade of airbrushing Jimmy Savile out of the BBC's history, they're now actually offering photos which feature him for sale for hundreds of pounds?

Bloody hell.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2080
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home