Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Robert Fripp Quits Music Business, Says It Has Become An "Exercise In Futility"
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 11, 2012 02:46

His Majesty
Glam Descendant
King Crimson's first live concert was opening for the Stones at Hyde Park. You can see Fripp watching the Stones perform from the side of the stage in the film.

Their first official gig as King Crimson happened on 9th April 1969 at the Speakeasy, but they had played in Newcastle at the 2I's club under the Giles, Giles & Fripp name before that.

I stand corrected. I made the mistake of trusting a bootleg title.

Re: OT: Robert Fripp Quits Music Business, Says It Has Become An "Exercise In Futility"
Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: September 11, 2012 03:57

Edith Grove
It shouldn’t all be about money, says Fripp. “Do you believe that Rostropovich was playing a cello just for a living? Do you believe that Hendrix was playing for money?

I would say it was certainly a motivator.

Date: September 11, 2012 06:17

Hey "Gravityboy", what about Exposure...great LP by Fripp. Featuring Daryl Hall of "Hall and Oates" fame...

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: September 11, 2012 08:56

Gazza
21stcenturystones
great guitar work on Bowies' "Scary Monsters" LP

My favourite guitar playing on any album ever, I think. Its absolutely mental.

"shut up..... SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!"

Yes, I agree.. it's off the radar.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 11, 2012 09:00

Gazza
21stcenturystones

Mmmm just like Brians saxophone on The Beatles 'You know my name, look up the number'...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: September 11, 2012 09:05

21stcenturystones
Hey "Gravityboy", what about Exposure...great LP by Fripp. Featuring Daryl Hall of "Hall and Oates" fame...

I only know some of Fripp's more famous session work with Bowie and Eno.

I need to check his solo album out. I just read the reviews and it sounds interesting.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 13, 2012 04:45

His playing on "Evening Star" is sublime -- and I do mean otherworldly.

Date: November 26, 2015 14:41

King Crimson will do 2 shows in Oslo next year! Finally, I'll see one of my favourite bands in concert thumbs up

It's a long wait, though: September 26 and 27, 2016.

Info about the european tour (in english)

Info about the norwegian shows (in norwegian)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-26 14:44 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 26, 2015 15:38

He's a grumpy old man!

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: November 26, 2015 16:44

Gazza
21stcenturystones

Yes totally crazy guitar ...he's on Heroes as well. Is he on Low?

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: November 26, 2015 17:06

Nice news.
Love this band.
Lark's tongues in aspic is the best progressive rock album ever.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: November 26, 2015 18:05

Depends, when we saw KC in 2014, the front line was three drummers. Incredible show by the way

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: November 26, 2015 18:15

Of course, there is always this
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 26, 2015 18:23

Damn. I thought Edith was back.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 26, 2015 23:52

Naturalust
stonesnow
Perhaps it's time for Star Wars: The Artist Fights Back, the series...

It's already happening, content is easy to make and own these days, the banks that were the old companies are broke and much less necessary for any artist to distribute his product. Like the old days the bands on the road are profiting but most new artists are still giving it away for free.

The booking agents are the ones pulling most the strings for the still huge touring money, imho and distribution deals are all that's left for record companies to do except waste the artists money. Distribution is probably still a good ole boys club, son's of the ones who done what they done before, what it's worth to an artist is hard to quantify. Hard to fight what you can't see. peace

I'm not quite sure what Fripp's beef is, or what has changed.
Musicians (think of the old bluesmen) have been ripped off forever by record companies and Managers.
Plenty of advice around re getting independent legal advice and negotiating deals which give the artist control over recording and publishing rights.
The history of independent and/or artist led record companies is not good (think Apple, Track, Immediate, RSR)

I always think of Fripp and Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull as one. Both emerged around the same time; essentially they ARE the group and both are intelligent enough to know that the music industry is no different to any other, profit motive, sales figures being the bottom line.
Its not stopped Anderson from being a creative force....even in his 70s.

And of course both have acquired a level of personal wealth and lifestyle that most of us could only dream of.

Date: March 2, 2016 11:02

Finally got a ticket for one of the Oslo-shows! This will be a blast thumbs up

I'm going to the September 28-show smileys with beer

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 2, 2016 12:08

exhpart
Gazza
21stcenturystones

Yes totally crazy guitar ...he's on Heroes as well. Is he on Low?

No.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: March 2, 2016 12:49

I'm happy for the tickets I got for the first Stockholm show Sept 30th.
In front of the stage, FIRST row!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1997
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home