Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: listen to Bob Dylans new album FOR FREE
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 12, 2012 08:19

jamesjagger
Interesting....for me the album is annoying awful. An old crumpy man. No melodies, no voice anymore, no nothing.
Its hard to even get over the first 25 % of the album.too tough.'Time out of mind' is in comparism another league.

Pitiful.

P.S. "crumpy"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-12 08:41 by Glam Descendant.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 12, 2012 08:55

Dylan the Vocalist is on a whole 'nother level. This critic from The New Yorker grasps it finely:

“Tempest” reminds us what a thrilling and eccentric vocalist he is. He sings with a jazzman’s feel for rhythmic play, laying back behind the beat, rushing ahead of it, bending, distending, and cutting short his raggedy notes. He has dramatic flair that places him in the company of Sinatra, Billie Holiday, and George Jones: an actor’s way with line readings, a knack for making the musical conversational and vice versa. You can hear it in “Soon After Midnight,” a doo-wop-flavored love ballad, where he drops into dulcet coo to threaten a rival lover: “Two-Timing Slim / Who’s ever heard of him? / I’ll drag his corpse through the mud.” Then there’s “Long and Wasted Years,” which finds Dylan talk-singing, in a drawling, taunting tone, over a cascading guitar line: “I wear dark glasses to cover my eyes / There’s secrets in them that I can’t disguise / Come back, baby / Have I hurt your feelings? / I apologize.” Dylan may mean every word of that lyric; every word might be jive. Either way, unreliable narration has rarely sounded so good.

Read more [www.newyorker.com]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 12, 2012 09:40

Finally heard the record. Bobby do it again... Unbelievable... I'm out of words...

- Doxa

Posted by: KillRill ()
Date: September 12, 2012 14:33

Tempest is a brilliant record and as great as L&T

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: September 12, 2012 17:57

After one listen, Tin Angel stands out for me. Incredible.

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: September 12, 2012 17:59

I listened and once more remain puzzled at the adoration. The lyrics are so weak, it takes a lot and a lot of faith to find anything in the title track that is of interest... The Titanic story is so rich in meaning, but Dylan just piles up easy metaphors and platitudes, very disapointing. The rest sounds to me like the rantings of a bitter megalomaniac who used to have a way with words but doesn't anymore, and the voice is terrible, and no, there's no phrasing, it's nowhere near Billie Holiday. To phrase, you still need to articulate which unfortunately BOb cannot do anymore. The melodies and music are so generic I could cry, it could be any pub rock blues band. You gotta be Dylan for generic blues-rock with recycled metaphors to be labelled as "digging deep in the American songbook", "Shakespearean" and what not. Picasso? I think not...

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: September 12, 2012 18:42

who to believe!?

Some say it's great, some say shitty.....quite a gap there.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: September 12, 2012 19:15

I've only given it two plays but I think it's another strong later-day Dylan album.

I think the title track is longer than it needs to be, but otherwise, no complaints here.

Also "Pay In Blood" needs to be covered by a certain Rock 'n' Roll band me thinks!

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: September 12, 2012 23:23

vudicus

Also "Pay In Blood" needs to be covered by a certain Rock 'n' Roll band me thinks!

Excellent track. Love the lyrics

Well I’m grinding my life out, steady and sure
Nothing more wretched than what I must endure
I’m drenched in the light that shines from the sun
I could stone you to death for the wrongs that you done
Sooner or later you make a mistake,
I’ll put you in a chain that you never will break
Legs and arms and body and bone
I pay in blood, but not my own.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1895
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home