Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Are most fans of The Stones fans of The Doors?
Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: September 7, 2012 23:56

Just curious smoking smiley

Re: Are most fans of The Stones fans of The Doors?
Posted by: The Wick ()
Date: September 7, 2012 23:58

Not this one. Can't stand the music and Bill Wyman said it well when he went to see them at the Whiskey I think. He said, about Jim Morrison, we went and saw him try to be Mick for half an hour and then left.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: September 8, 2012 00:04

I certainly am, but I know there are a few in this forum who certainly are not. Musically, they seem to be two very different kettles of fish, as the Stones approached music with a more traditional rock lineup whereas the Doors through in all different arrangements with that keyboard bass and flamenco-flavored guitar, plus Morrison's low crooning voice--the first of its kind in rock. As for Morrison and Jagger, there definitely was some sort of mutual competitive professional jealousy thing going on there. Myself, I have all the Doors albums, even the two post-Morrison releases from the early 70s as well as the hour-long Rock Is Dead studio collection that was never released officially. Love their unique sound and style, their unforgettable songs--two strong songwriters in that group--and Robbie Krieger is definitely the most underrated guitarist in the history of rock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-10 02:21 by stonesnow.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: September 8, 2012 00:08

I am. Especially the versions on The Doors Are Open film are absolutely fantastic. It would be great to have those Roundhouse gigs as soundboards...

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 8, 2012 00:14

No....I dig some old songs and love "Riders on The Storm"

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 8, 2012 00:15

i love some of the doors stuff.

hadnt heard of them till 1989.

got into them in 1991.

great band, but morrison was an idiot.

Date: September 8, 2012 00:18

Single Malt
I am. Especially the versions on The Doors Are Open film are absolutely fantastic. It would be great to have those Roundhouse gigs as soundboards...

I wish that too... and maybe someday Granada Tv will provide us a complete footage of at least one of the Roundhouse gigs.

And the European 68 tour of The Doors are great.

We have the early and late Stockholm concert on soundboard taped by the Sverige Radio. thumbs up

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: September 8, 2012 00:23

I listened to my older brother's records when they were around, then went through a Doors period in the early 80's when there was revival in interest after the book "No One Here Gets Out Alive" came out. I listened to everything they did and eventually visited JM's grave. But with a deceased lead singer, little new material it's hard to maintain a high level of interest. I still like them though and glad to hear them on the radio once in a while.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-09-08 00:27 by Angus MacBagpipe.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: September 8, 2012 00:24

People compared Morrison to Jagger but other than a kind of peacock frontman thing there isn't much in common. But even there Morrison was obnoxiously disengaged while Jagger is often obnoxiously overengaged. And of course vocally Morrison had that rich baritone that is very different than Jagger's singing voice, and lyrically Morrison was far more poetically inclined (for better or worse) than Jagger ever aspired to being. You could also say Morrison never had a visual henchman like Keith, though both Krieger and Manzarek were huge contributors musically. Densmore can be mentioned as a great band drummer in the same breath with Charlie Watts, which is extremely high praise!

Musically, I've always felt the Doors final 2 (full group) LPs, "Morrison Hotel" and "LA Woman", were akin to the Stones circa "Beggars Banquet"/"Let it Bleed"/"Sticky Fingers". More "American", blues-based with cool lyrical flights. To me, this was the Doors' real peak, and think they were capable of a lot more great music, as were the Stones.

Oh -- loved the Doors!

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: September 8, 2012 00:25

yes! LOVE the Doors. Got way into them before the Stones actually. A pity there is not more music from them. (though the "Other Voices" album the did after Jim's death was terrible!!!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 8, 2012 00:26

They had a few great songs, but I wouldn't say I am a fan, but it depends on your definition.smiling smiley

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: September 8, 2012 00:36

Their first two albums are probably in my all-time top 10, but find the rest of their stuff somewhat hit-or-miss, though they rebounded pretty nicely with L.A. Woman. Though even their weaker tracks usually have something interesting in them.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: September 8, 2012 00:40

Oh yes. No-brainer.

Date: September 8, 2012 00:52

As The Stones, The Doors also covered the Little Red Rooster..

video: [www.dailymotion.com]

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: September 8, 2012 01:03

I'm not anyway. A couple of cool tunes, but that's all.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: September 8, 2012 01:04

Never could get into the Doors. I don't hate their music or anything. I could never see the appeal. Of course, some would say the same for the Stones, but they're crazy.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: September 8, 2012 01:06

Wry Cooter
People compared Morrison to Jagger but other than a kind of peacock frontman thing there isn't much in common. But even there Morrison was obnoxiously disengaged while Jagger is often obnoxiously overengaged. And of course vocally Morrison had that rich baritone that is very different than Jagger's singing voice, and lyrically Morrison was far more poetically inclined (for better or worse) than Jagger ever aspired to being. You could also say Morrison never had a visual henchman like Keith, though both Krieger and Manzarek were huge contributors musically. Densmore can be mentioned as a great band drummer in the same breath with Charlie Watts, which is extremely high praise!

Musically, I've always felt the Doors final 2 (full group) LPs, "Morrison Hotel" and "LA Woman", were akin to the Stones circa "Beggars Banquet"/"Let it Bleed"/"Sticky Fingers". More "American", blues-based with cool lyrical flights. To me, this was the Doors' real peak, and think they were capable of a lot more great music, as were the Stones.

Oh -- loved the Doors!

thumbs up I agree, no need for me to comment - you've said it just like it is.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 8, 2012 01:21

For me personally, the first (Doors) album was great, then all downhill from there...(except When The Music's Over)

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: September 8, 2012 01:24

Why does every IORR thread about the Doors spiral into a "Morrison sucks, Jagger's better" shoutfest?

Come to think of it, it happens with the Beatles threads too. Replacing "Morrison" with "McCartney", of course.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 8, 2012 01:56

Love the Doors, like I do Zeppelin.

But I need to be in a certain mood to listen to either band.

For the Stones, I just need to be awake to listen to them.

(...although I used to play side two Tattoo You to fall asleep to)

Posted by: The Wick ()
Date: September 8, 2012 01:57

MILKYWAY
Why does every IORR thread about the Doors spiral into a "Morrison sucks, Jagger's better" shoutfest?

Come to think of it, it happens with the Beatles threads too. Replacing "Morrison" with "McCartney", of course.

You hear shouting? Where? I gave my opinion on Bill Wyman's take which was a good one and others gave their take. It all seems very civil to me. It seems like a normal discussion.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 8, 2012 02:00

The Wick
MILKYWAY

You hear shouting? Where? I gave my opinion on Bill Wyman's take which was a good one and others gave their take. It all seems very civil to me. It seems like a normal discussion.

You didn't even use capital letters...it was more like you were whispering.

SPEAK UP!

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: September 8, 2012 02:10

absolutely. I like them better than the who, zeppelin, or pink floyd.

Date: September 8, 2012 02:15

In the sixties I liked the Doors (their music) better than the Stones, if that answers your question?

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: September 8, 2012 02:25

No. While a few songs are ok, I never could stand the Doors. Just my opinion of course.

Date: September 8, 2012 03:36

Love The Doors.

Date: September 8, 2012 04:01

i love the doors

Posted by: tkl7 ()
Date: September 8, 2012 04:03

When it comes to American bands, I prefer Creedence...

Posted by: stones1962 ()
Date: September 8, 2012 04:24

The Doors are my second favorite band behind the Stones. Love em.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: September 8, 2012 04:30

Love Stones, hate Doors. Just my 2 cents - to each their own.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1720
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home