Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

New YouTube video: Were The Rolling Stones the First band to stream on the Internet?
Posted by: IsakSun ()
Date: October 6, 2022 15:17

What is this? Any guess?
[www.youtube.com]

Re: New YouTube video: Were The Rolling Stones the First band to stream on the Internet?
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 6, 2022 16:31

they "webcast live" a couple songs from dallas in 1994 for the three people who had the VERY expensive hardware to watch it

pretty sure they released the tracks on the ineractive voodoo lounge cd-rom

from nico's site

941118A 18th November: Dallas, Texas, Cotton Bowl (Not Fade Away/Tumbling Dice/You Got Me Rocking/Shattered/Rocks Off/ Sparks Will Fly/Satisfaction/Beast Of Burden/Far Away Eyes/Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo/Love Is Strong/It’s All Over Now/I Go Wild/Miss You/Band introduction/Honky Tonk Women/Before They Make Me Run/The Worst/ Sympathy For The Devil/Monkey Man/Street Fighting Man/Start Me Up/ It’s Only Rock’n Roll/Brown Sugar/Jumping Jack Flash) Note: The following five songs were webcast live through the internet: (Not Fade Away/Tumbling Dice/You Got Me Rocking/Rocks Off/ Sparks Will Fly)

seems they might have very well have been the first

who would have thought they would have been the ones to pioneer this

did anyone on here watch it live in 94?

what kind of hardware did you use?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-06 16:34 by ProfessorWolf.

Re: New YouTube video: Were The Rolling Stones the First band to stream on the Internet?
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 6, 2022 18:05

ProfessorWolf

what kind of hardware did you use?

Not sure about the hardware, but:

22-May-1993: Movie streamed via Internet - 2 frames per second - [en.Wikipedia.org] .

04-Nov-1994: Internet Video-Stream with 200×150 pixels and 1-2 frames per second, no audio - [25yearsstreaming.com] .

History of Live-Streaming (incl. RS 1994): [api.video] .

At least 3 little-known Bands streamed their live-performances in 1993/94 before the Rolling Stones. 1994 RS' picture-size was ~1.5x1.5 inch with 1-10 frames p. second and very choppy sound - [www.NYTimes.com] .

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-06 19:35 by Irix.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: October 6, 2022 18:34

I knew about this broadcast back then, but didn't have internet back then. I have never seen anything from this broadcast.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 6, 2022 20:09

Boo, I was expecting a little more than that. Maybe some of the concert footage at least.

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: October 6, 2022 20:38

just a @#$%& docu....

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: October 7, 2022 00:10

The Rolling Stones absolutely were NOT the first band to stream live on the World Wide Web..

There seems to have been a bit of a scramble at that time to try out the technology (multicasting etc), but the Stones were beaten to it by a few weeks.

I recall trying to get a friend who at that time was very close to the inner circle of the Stones to go to a lab at a university in London so that he could see what I was raving about. Didn't happen, but the invite was there.

Very early on the only kit that could be used was stuff like top end Sun Workstations running Un*x.

I wish I could remember the name of the band and when it was done, but perhaps someone else who was Undercover at the time may recall it.

1994 puts it very early in the chronology of the growth of the Web - younger readers may not realise that The Internet (as a connection of basic networks) long precedes the WWW and has been around since at least the early 1980s.

The explosion of use almost totally resulted from the development of the World Wide Web - something led by Tim Berners-Lee based in CERN in Switzerland. Originally it was conceived as a way for physicists to share experimental results and conclusions. If you read his autobiography you'll see that initially his bosses did not support the development and he sort of did it in defiance of their wishes.

However they redeemed themselves when they allowed Tim B-L to share the protocols openly, thus allowing anyone anywhere to build on his work. And the rest, as they say, is history.

Had he not done that we could have been stuck with rubbish stuff like 'Gopher' which was licensed and constricted in its use.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: October 7, 2022 00:28

I vaguely remember this. I was reading about it in USA today I believe, and I talked to my wife who had an Internet connection back then for work. Needless to say, it was dial-up only and it didn't work out, but I do remember some kind of Stones Newsgroup way back then which was my first foray into the internet. I remained not convinced that anything was going to be awesome about the Internet but I was quickly convinced otherwise when she showed me Napster a few years later. I immediately signed up for broad-based service after that!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 7, 2022 00:33

I will say that the first time I ever stepped foot in YouTube was to watch an upload of their super bowl performance in 2005 a few hours it happened.

Date: October 7, 2022 01:25

Justin
I will say that the first time I ever stepped foot in YouTube was to watch an upload of their super bowl performance in 2005 a few hours it happened.

Clever trick.

Superbowl XXXIX was on Feb 6th 2005 and Youtube was launched on Feb 14th 2005.

Memory can play some strange tricks. <grin>

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 7, 2022 02:28

frankotero
Boo, I was expecting a little more than that. Maybe some of the concert footage at least.

this is a little more interesting with some concert footage for all you "internaughts"

so come on everyone let's log onto the "mbone" and rock out at 10fps!grinning smiley

Date: October 7, 2022 06:47

ProfessorWolf
frankotero

this is a little more interesting with some concert footage for all you "internaughts"

so come on everyone let's log onto the "mbone" and rock out at 10fps!grinning smiley

A HUGELY interesting video, thanks - quite a time capsule in a way.

We've come a VERY long way since 1994. Streaming services anyone? :-)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 7, 2022 07:52

The stream that blew my mind happened a few years later in August 97, the B2B PC in New-York. I think it was a Real Video stream and it was pretty watchable on 56K ! Also that day I remember downloading some Oasis MP3s (64kbps I think) and finding the sound to be great compared to what was previously available.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: October 7, 2022 10:00

I can remember that Dallas 94 internet broadcast. It was not only streamed live but also available afterwards for a certain time. I managed to record the audio back then but unfortunately I do not have it anymore. The quality was also far from good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1886
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home