Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940...LastNext
Current Page: 35 of 49
Re: Billboard: Rolling Stones To Play London, Brooklyn In November
Date: October 5, 2012 14:05

DandelionPowderman
superrevvy
1) I have no sources whatsoever. My schtick is reading tea leaves. All respected
sources are still maintaining its Barclays and the O2.

2) I'm assuming this is still valid: [www.themarqueeclub.co.uk] But any club
will do.

So they did open again: "as the Marquee is reborn in 2012"! winking smiley

I understand the club was just reborn as an internet platform? Under "history" the website, which calls itself "Marquee Live", says:

"Over half a century since the Marquee began but more relevant and needed in today’s music industry, ‘MARQUEE LIVE’ will provide a platform for the UK’s best new live music."

But I could be wrong.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: October 5, 2012 14:45

Posted by: mrsoandso ()
Date: October 5, 2012 15:52

This article in the NY Times discusses the new Barclays Center.

Barclays has more open dates, lower costs and better profit margins making it attractive to promoters.

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: OneHourPhoto ()
Date: October 5, 2012 16:09

JumpinJeppeFlash
[www.showbiz411.com]

Interesting article

- Barclays dates of December 6 and 7 (though the Nets are playing on the 7th, so that date would be impossible. Unless the author meant NOVEMBER 6th and 7th)
- December 16th and 17th at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-05 16:20 by OneHourPhoto.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 5, 2012 16:26

JumpinJeppeFlash
[www.showbiz411.com]

Prudential Center in Newark? I really don't have too much faith in this article when it's accompanied by an old photograph that includes Bill Wyman in the group...

It would be nice though... Since Prudential Center is nearby

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 5, 2012 16:34

Superevvy,

Are you saying Grregory is you?

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 5, 2012 17:42

mrsoandso

[www.nytimes.com]
Great article , thank you very much thumbs up

In case they ever delete it....

========================================
========================================
Barclays Arena Rivals the Garden’s Glow

By JAMES C. McKINLEY Jr.
Published: September 27, 2012

The arena’s opening is being closely watched in the music business, and perhaps nowhere more so than in Manhattan, at Madison Square Garden, which for generations has been the only game in town for arena acts and has earned a reputation as a career-defining concert hall.

Though Garden officials and Barclays executives are both careful to say that the arenas are not in direct competition for big-name bands, concert promoters and booking agents say such competition is inevitable, and Barclays has already positioned itself as an alternative, booking several marquee performers who have played the Garden in the past.

“Barclays is going to say, ‘Hey, if you want to play New York City, you have two choices,’ ” said Jim Glancy, a partner in the Bowery Presents, a New York concert promoter.

With three professional sports teams and St. John’s basketball, the Garden’s calendar has long been extremely crowded, making it a headache for tour planners seeking an open night in the city; its calendar has been even tighter over the last two years as it has undergone renovations.

And while the Garden is considered a prestigious place to play — a high-profile arena in the media capital of North America — it is not always a lucrative one. The costs of doing a show there are high and profit margins low, promoters say. What’s more, it is hard to get two nights in a row there, even if the band or performer is capable of selling out two dates.

“I consider it a godsend Barclays arena is there,” said Randy Phillips, the chief executive of AEG Live, one of the largest promoters in the country. “Prior to this we were really kind of held hostage on a tour to the availability of Madison Square Garden.”

The new $1 billion arena rises at the intersection of Flatbush and Atlantic Avenues like a modern sculpture, evoking a crashed alien spacecraft with its rusted-steel-and-glass facade and swooping lines. Inside, it is a sleek study in gray and black broken only by bright digital banners, with steeply raked rows of black seats that descend from the street level into the arena’s bowl. With clear sightlines and acoustic panels over hard surfaces to minimize reverb and noise, the space seems intimate yet open. For some, it is a symbol of Brooklyn’s cultural and economic renaissance, a sign the borough has come back from the long slide that started when the Dodgers left in 1957. But it is also a symbol of the borough’s growing stature as center for the arts.

Several big acts have added a night in Brooklyn in addition to planned dates at the Garden, among them Neil Young and Crazy Horse, the Who, Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber and Leonard Cohen. Others who have played the Garden in the past are foregoing it altogether and playing Barclays instead, among them Bob Dylan, Green Day, John Legend, Rihanna and Rush.

Brett Yormark, the chief executive of the Brooklyn Nets, who will call the arena home, and of Barclays Center, said he did not see it in competition with the Garden. He said there was a demand in New York City for far more arena concerts than the Garden could accommodate.

“We knew there was a void, and a new venue in Brooklyn could be supported by a lot of events that weren’t coming here,” he said. “I don’t look at this as cannibalization in any way. I look at it as truly additive to the market.”

Melissa Ormond, the president of Madison Square Garden Entertainment, acknowledged that the Garden’s tight calendar has meant it has few dates to offer artists, and that Barclays has benefited, as have the suburban arenas. But she said in an e-mail statement: “We always respect any competition, but the Garden will always be the Garden. We’ve been privileged to be at the center of New York City for more than 130 years, with 400 annual events, the most of any arena in the country. It’s the pinnacle of an artist’s career to play Madison Square Garden.”

Historically the market for concerts has expanded every time a new arena has been built in the region, a testament to the enormous population within commuting distance of Manhattan. The arrival of the Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale, N.Y; the arena now called the Izod Center in East Rutherford, N.J.; and the Prudential Center in Newark did not damage Madison Square Garden’s profits.

But the new arena is the first challenge to the Garden’s dominance, and it underlines a growing rivalry between Brooklyn and Manhattan as cultural centers, not to mention the competition between the Knicks and the Nets. “The big question is: Will Barclays expand the marketplace?” said John Scher, a veteran New York City promoter.

Mr. Scher said the Garden would remain a steppingstone for young artists who need the prestige of a show there to further their careers, even if it means earning less. One such client of his is Jason Mraz, who is playing his first show there on Dec. 11.

“Not unlike the Yankees, you can’t trade that tradition and that sense of accomplishment for something that’s newer,” Mr. Scher said. “No one can compete on that level with the Garden. But you can compete on cost and efficiency.”

Not surprisingly, Barclays has undercut the Garden’s prices for performers, which are among the highest in the industry. Several promoters said a band stands to earn between $150,000 and $250,000 more for a sold-out show at Barclays than for one at the Garden. For concertgoers that means ticket prices for some shows will be lower at Barclays as well: Neil Young fans can buy a seat for $58 at Barclays, versus $63 at the Garden, according to Ticketmaster. Yet tickets to other big shows — the Who and Justin Bieber for instance — are roughly the same price at both places.

If a price war ever develops with the Garden, owned by the publicly traded Madison Square Garden Company, the new arena has deep pockets. Though Jay-Z has a tiny stake in the Nets and the arena, the principal partners behind the new building are the developer Bruce C. Ratner and the Russian billionaire Mikhail D. Prokhorov.

Mr. Phillips, the chief executive of AEG Live, said the lack of competition in the city’s market had turned the Garden into an exorbitantly expensive space many performers are grudgingly compelled to play. “You’re lucky to break even,” he said. “Now we have a building where we can play and actually make money and the press will come. That’s big for us. That’s going to make the Garden more honest.”

Still, Marsha Vlasic, the booking agent for Neil Young and several other top-tier performers, said the Garden retains an advantage. She said Mr. Young and his band only decided to play a second concert at Barclays because two dates could not be found at Madison Square Garden.

Some bands, however, are betting that playing both arenas is a winning strategy, promoters and agents said. The thinking is that Barclays can tap Brooklyn’s 2.6 million residents and, because the arena sits at the junction of several subway lines and a Long Island Rail Road station, it can draw fans from Long Island and Staten Island, while Madison Square Garden tends to pull people from Manhattan, New Jersey and the northern suburbs, promoters said.

Barclays is likely to develop its own personality as well, as promoters and arena officials discover what sort of acts resonate there. Jay-Z’s run of eight shows and involvement may cement it as a popular hip-hop stage. It also could become a forum for emerging acts that cannot yet command high ticket prices, older artists who want a larger profit margin or performers with ties to Brooklyn’s vibrant indie-rock scene.

Mr. Glancy said it will take time for the positions of the arenas to become defined. Barclays will enjoy a honeymoon period, as bands and their promoters give it a try, and the Garden’s renovations will not be completed until late next year. “The true test is years away,” Mr. Glancy said.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-05 17:43 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: October 5, 2012 17:54

If they do wind up playing only these 4 (or whatever) shows this year, I sure hope they broadcast them, one way or another, just to keep fans (who will not be able to make the shows) happy.

Neil Young did it for free last Saturday night from Central Park and I dont see any reason why the Stones can not use the same feeds/channels/delivery system again, and if they want to charge money, that is fine too... just show it live, in Hi-Def... none of this "taped recorded to be edited and heavily overdubbed by guitar techs for release next year" crap, because I will NOT buy that product. I will buy a live broadcast... but free would be nice... I saw Neil Young for free in Hi-Def and it was an awesome gift. Thank You Neil Young

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-05 17:57 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: October 5, 2012 19:10

angee
Superevvy,

Are you saying Grregory is you?

angee, no. i have no contacts or relationship with any member of the Rolling
Stones or their organization. while grrregory does. grrreg has been re-tweeted by
both the Rolling Stones and Keith Richards. and on grrregory's twitter page
it headlines, without further explanation, "London and New York." It may not be
much to go on, but it is the first time the Stones organization itself has
officially trumpeted those two locations in connection with current activity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-05 19:12 by superrevvy.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 5, 2012 20:39

My sources say that the Brooklyn and London dates are "very likely to happen." However, much depends on the current rehearsal, particularly to do with Keef..."

Personally, I will be very surprised if the Stones do not eventually play Madison Square Garden before they hang up their performing shoes.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: October 5, 2012 21:40

stonesrule
My sources say that the Brooklyn and London dates are "very likely to happen." However, much depends on the current rehearsal, particularly to do with Keef..."

Personally, I will be very surprised if the Stones do not eventually play Madison Square Garden before they hang up their performing shoes.

Yep, the possible problem would be Keef.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: October 5, 2012 22:27

Keith is doing fine.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 5, 2012 22:55

TeddyB1018
Keith is doing fine.

Are you his doctor?

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 5, 2012 22:57

Koen
TeddyB1018
Keith is doing fine.

Are you his doctor?

Teddy is not his doctor but is very reliable

Date: October 6, 2012 00:21

Hope they play

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-06 04:07 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: October 6, 2012 00:32

fact is, until now, I was at the last Rolling Stones concert in 2007.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 6, 2012 01:25

Harm
I was at the last Rolling Stones concert in 2007.

So was I, and I sure hope to see you again at the next show

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: October 6, 2012 04:04

i've been waiting to see them since the last time i'd seen them, aug 21, 2007.
now the monkey's gots me signed up for facebook and twitter.
the way things are going i'll probably get shut out.
i expect a "we'll be playing brooklyn tommorow night" kind of announcement.
PRU center for one show makes sense. easy to get to.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: October 6, 2012 05:04

Personally, I'm bored with all the speculation.

If they are actually going to play any concerts then please just bloody well announce it... or else just rule it out and put us out of our misery!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-06 05:04 by tomcat2006.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: October 6, 2012 09:28

Rolling Hansie
Harm
I was at the last Rolling Stones concert in 2007.

So was I, and I sure hope to see you again at the next show

I'll see you first in a Royal Box somewhere

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: October 6, 2012 14:37

Today's New Jersey paper - The Star Ledger, has an article stating they 'may' play the Prudential Center ( THE ROCK ) on Dec 16 and 17. Another venue that they've never played before.

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: October 6, 2012 17:35

Today's poll @ showbiz411.com

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 6, 2012 17:47

And how many people entered that poll ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: October 6, 2012 17:56

Rolling Hansie

I have no idea. It's still on.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 7, 2012 05:56

But the bigger question is ..did they wear protection?...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: October 7, 2012 08:28

KRiffhard
Koen
TeddyB1018
Keith is doing fine.

Are you his doctor?

Teddy is not his doctor but is very reliable

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-07 20:06 by stonesnow.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: October 7, 2012 09:13

latvianinexile
Today's poll @ showbiz411.com

At large I think this shows that most of the general public below 45-50 yrs old doesn't care and the sad fact is, it's the Stones own fault. They painted themselves in a corner during the Licks era, and releasing only one studio album in the ensuing dozen years does little to dispel the myth of the Stones' being a retro act that is played out.

I think, in retrospect, that although the idea of Exile and Some Girls re-issues seemed like good ones. Those reissues, which Mick tried to disguise as new product, missed the mark. It was the time for the band to open the vaults-warts and all-instead they chose a more manicured, and somewhat overwrought approach. Because of these factors and Keith's apparent decline, the Stones' ability to find a way to tap into a rhythm, groove or "feel" of an era has been neutered. It's telling that the Stones best song of the 21st century, or longer, is a song dating back nearly four decades.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 7, 2012 09:56

>Those reissues, which Mick tried to disguise as new product,

Huh? How did Mick do that? It *was* newly-available product of old stuff refurbished; I don't believe it was marketed as anything other than that.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: October 8, 2012 06:07

stonesrule

i hope your sources are better than my sources because i just got a text to give up hope for november

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: October 8, 2012 08:07

My sources tell me that something's gonna happen sometime in the near future that involves someone doing something that someone's been waiting for for some time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-08 08:23 by riverrat.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940...LastNext
Current Page: 35 of 49

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1494
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home