Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Huge Stonesfan Salman Rushdie fighting to survive knife attack
Posted by: StonesAustria ()
Date: August 13, 2022 13:13

While I´m praying for Salman Rushdie to survive yesterday´s knife attack, I try to remember one of the best quotes ever written about the Stones and their fans. As far as I know Rushdie wrote a report about a Stones Tour in the late nineties. Does anybody know about this article in - presumeably - a British news paper? The quote ends: " ... it´s good to know that pleasure has its armies too." What a man. Gimme Shelter.

Do the girls still scream, when you perform on stage? KR: Not on stage, but when I perform, yeah.

Re: Salman Rushdie and Stones newspaper-report
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 13, 2022 13:46

StonesAustria

As far as I know Rushdie wrote a report about a Stones Tour in the late nineties.

"Last month, I went to see the Rolling Stones live at the MetLife stadium and it was an amazing evening. I’ve seen the Stones a lot over the years – the Observer sent me to report on the Voodoo Lounge tour at Wembley stadium in 1995 – and I’ve seen their latest show twice. It’s extraordinary that they’re still doing it and are as good as they ever were. Mick appears to have recovered from his heart procedure – he’s still zinging around the stage as fast as he ever did, while Keith remains firmly planted. When I went to see the show in London with my sons, I have never seen them so excited about going to a rock concert. It demonstrated to me that their music really has transcended all generations. It’s music that everybody can share" - [www.TheGuardian.com] .

1995, July 16 - The Observer (England) - The Armies of Pleasure - Salman Rushdie reviews the Stones - [www.RollingStonesArchive.com] - (no content).

"How to access past articles from the Guardian and Observer archive" - [www.TheGuardian.com] .

(Page 137, Observer archive)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-13 14:15 by Irix.

Re: Huge Stonesfan Salman Rushdie fighting to survive knife attack
Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 13, 2022 14:02

Best wishes to Mr. Salman Rushdie. What a disgraceful attack.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 13, 2022 15:23

Are we allowed to talk about news events now? Since the w-thing I have accepted that we can't talk about what goes on in the world outside the Stones bubble on this forum.
Which, of course, makes me hesitant to comment on this event.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 13, 2022 15:37

i think bv would be ok with us condemning this appalling attack

and stating our wish for him to survive and recover

without getting into the social and political complexities surrounding this event

but i won't pretent to speak for bv it's his site and his rules

i'm sure he'll let us know his postion on this soon enough

but until then let's keep our heads

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 13, 2022 15:56

ProfessorWolf

without getting into the social and political complexities surrounding this event

I don't think the attack and the politics behind it can be separated. We should all know the history behind this awful happening. Fingers-crossed he makes a recovery.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 13, 2022 16:26

Big Al
ProfessorWolf

I don't think the attack and the politics behind it can be separated. We should all know the history behind this awful happening. Fingers-crossed he makes a recovery.

yes i agree it is difficult and people should be aware of the history around this

but there is literally the entirety of the rest of the internet to discuss, debate, and learn about the poltics around this

let's just use this specific space to wish a fellow notable member of the stones fan community a quick and thorough recovery from this horrible attack

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: August 13, 2022 16:29

I think BV will say something very soon, no politics this is a music site.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: August 13, 2022 17:17

All the best to the Great Writer Salman Rushdie

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 13, 2022 17:33

A horrific attack...this from CNN:

Later in the day, Rushdie was put on a ventilator and was unable to speak, his agent, Andrew Wylie, told The New York Times. He will likely lose an eye, Wylie said. "The nerves in his arm were severed; and his liver was stabbed and damaged. The news is not good."

Best wishes for his recovery.

Posted by: ChristianRetore ()
Date: August 13, 2022 19:37

I once read this report by Salman Rushdie. Salman is a very good novelist, but he also is a true Rolling Stones fan, he saw them since 1963 and his attendance to Wembley concert with report for the observer was one of his first event after being hidden several years for security reasons. I d love to put my hand on this article again. If i manage to, i will post it here. Christian Retoré

Date: August 13, 2022 19:58

Ironically, he was a fan of Cat Stevens as a student, owning a copy of Tea for Tillerman when at Cambridge. He talked about this in an interview, if I remember rightly.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 13, 2022 20:03

Sending prayers for his recovery from this horrendous attack.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: August 13, 2022 20:04

It's stretching the term 'politics' to suggest that there can be any debate amongst reasonable and sane people about the rights and wrongs of stabbing an unarmed man at a civilian event - Rushdie is the victim of an appalling crime. I hope he survives and thrives. [I didn't know he was a Stones fan]

Date: August 13, 2022 20:27

Lady Jayne
It's stretching the term 'politics' to suggest that there can be any debate amongst reasonable and sane people about the rights and wrongs of stabbing an unarmed man at a civilian event - Rushdie is the victim of an appalling crime. I hope he survives and thrives. [I didn't know he was a Stones fan]

I agree with you, yet with all that underpins this attack, how can the history not be discussed? I’d enjoy such a discussion here, but BV is very clear on such matters.

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1530
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home