Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: RIP Bill Russell
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 31, 2022 22:26

Passed on today. One of the greatest in basketball. How well I remember him going up against Wilt Chamberlain...you wondered who was the better. I admired both though I leaned toward Chamberlain. RIP, sir.

Re: OT: RIP Bill Russell
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 31, 2022 22:34

Sad news...legend...

RIP Bill Russell

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 31, 2022 22:40

RIP. A true giant, on the court and off.

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: July 31, 2022 23:22

RIP

Highly unlikely anyone ever wins 11 titles again in the NBA. Arguably the best defensive player ever. Chase-down blocks, dunking on people, a real innovator.

[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 31, 2022 23:39

RIP Bill. Was before my time but he's always mentioned in the best players of all time list! 11 NBA championships will never be matched. Only player in recent times that could have come close would have been Michael Jordan had he not retired for the two years in the early 90s, I"m sure the Bulls would have been favourites to win those two years for potentially 8 championships in a row.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 1, 2022 00:30

Born in ‘59, missed the 60’s scene. Grew up and still live in MA as a NE sports fan so love the teams. What struck me in the video is the fans crazy celebration. Despite the racial overtones by some, he was loved and appreciated.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 1, 2022 01:37

He lived in Seattle since 1973. Got to meet him once when I was a kid. RIP

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: August 1, 2022 01:39

It was cool being in Boston a few weeks ago to see McCartney. My wife and I were able to walk in the same spot where Russell strolled during his long championship run. RIP Mr. Russell.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 1, 2022 08:05

Basketball is a team sport, and Bill Russell was the greatest teammate. In my estimation he is indeed the GOAT. He was gifted athletically, and mentally. Sometime the greats have certain moves others find hard to replicate. Kareem had his unstoppable sky hook. So why can't players do it today? Bill Russell's unique move was to block the other team's shot, but then block it to his own Celtic teammates to start a fast break. Block it to your own man sounds so simple, but nobody does it.

The first game I remember watching on TV was his last, where his aging Celtics punked the Lakers on the Lakers home court in a seventh, deciding game.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 1, 2022 18:50

24FPS
Basketball is a team sport, and Bill Russell was the greatest teammate. In my estimation he is indeed the GOAT. He was gifted athletically, and mentally. Sometime the greats have certain moves others find hard to replicate. Kareem had his unstoppable sky hook. So why can't players do it today? Bill Russell's unique move was to block the other team's shot, but then block it to his own Celtic teammates to start a fast break. Block it to your own man sounds so simple, but nobody does it.

The first game I remember watching on TV was his last, where his aging Celtics punked the Lakers on the Lakers home court in a seventh, deciding game.

I agree, 11 championships in 13 years, 8 in a row (and 2 as player-coach!), it always irks me when talk of the 'GOAT' centers around Jordan, Magic, Kobe, and even Larry Bird (my favorite player!) with no mention of Russell. He deserves to be included in that bunch and very well may have been the best ever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-01 18:55 by kovach.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 1, 2022 19:53

crholmstrom

Pretty cool, however he was notorious for shunning fans, including kids! His take was that he was under no obligation to be seen as a role model and fans knew not to ask him for autographs.

That's his own right, as far as I'm concerned, I actually have a pet peeve about adults that pester celebs to sign things. He was still possibly the greatest player ever, but if not at the very top, then at least in the top 10 (we got Kareem, Wilt, MJ, Labron, Kobe, Shaq, Magic, Bird ... and many would argue against it, but I would also include Pistol Pete Maravich in my top 10)

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: August 2, 2022 13:51

sad news, r.i.p. Bill Russell.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 2, 2022 15:49

LeonidP
crholmstrom

Pretty cool, however he was notorious for shunning fans, including kids! His take was that he was under no obligation to be seen as a role model and fans knew not to ask him for autographs.

That's his own right, as far as I'm concerned, I actually have a pet peeve about adults that pester celebs to sign things. He was still possibly the greatest player ever, but if not at the very top, then at least in the top 10 (we got Kareem, Wilt, MJ, Labron, Kobe, Shaq, Magic, Bird ... and many would argue against it, but I would also include Pistol Pete Maravich in my top 10)

He must've been in a good mood the day I met him. Good story: when he was coaching the Sonics he bet Slick Watts $100 during the game that he couldn't hit a shot from half court. Swish, nothing but net!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 11, 2022 23:23

For the first time ever, NBA retiring a number league-wide. Also all jerseys will have a patch and all floors will have a clover leaf by the scores table:

https://www.nba.com/news/bill-russells-no-6-jersey-to-be-retired-throughout-nba]#6 Retired - All NBA[/url]

Can't wait to see that in the Staples center floor and in all Lakers jerseys. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Only thing better would be stripping LeBron of #6. smiling smiley And a Celtics championship of course.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-08-11 23:25 by kovach.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: August 12, 2022 04:36

kovach
For the first time ever, NBA retiring a number league-wide. Also all jerseys will have a patch and all floors will have a clover leaf by the scores table:

https://www.nba.com/news/bill-russells-no-6-jersey-to-be-retired-throughout-nba]#6 Retired - All NBA[/url]

Can't wait to see that in the Staples center floor and in all Lakers jerseys. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Only thing better would be stripping LeBron of #6. smiling smiley And a Celtics championship of course.

Well deserved. I can’t see a day when anyone knocks him out of my top 10. Arguably the best defender of all-time. For anyone thinking he couldn’t cut it today, watch his highlights. He’d be in the MVP conversation.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 12, 2022 19:54

One of the best of the best centers in NBA history , what anchored the great Boston Celtics teams during there magical heyday under coach Red Auerback . R.I.P. big fella !

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 12, 2022 19:59

LeonidP
crholmstrom

Without a dought , Pistol Pete Maravich was one of the best pure shooters in the history of the NBA !!!!!!!!! (I think he could shoot and score blindfolded as he had such a feel and sense for scoring )

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: August 12, 2022 22:15

Saw the NBA is retiring his number from future use... Class Act !

Posted by: spiderman ()
Date: August 12, 2022 23:47

My favorite athlete of all time

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1785
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home