Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Wayne Perkins Article
Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: August 8, 2022 15:34

Interesting perspective on Wayne Perkins here. He had a brief but important moment in band recording history.

[www.culturesonar.com]

HBK

Re: Wayne Perkins Article
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 8, 2022 18:55

HouseBoyKnows
Interesting perspective on Wayne Perkins here. He had a brief but important moment in band recording history.

[www.culturesonar.com]

HBK

I'm about 2/3's of the way through Chris Blackwell's autobiography in which there's a lot about his playing with the Wailers, and some about the Stones using Blackwell's studio in the Bahama's (among a huge amount of interesting stories about a wide variety of artists, not to mention some of Blackwell's early career work in movies). Very interesting book so far.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 8, 2022 19:07

It is funny that Keith said they did not ask Perkins to join the band because they wanted to keep it English ,when today when the majority of musicians playing on stage, the drummer bassist back up singers, Chuckand the horn section are all American.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 8, 2022 19:37

Taylor1
It is funny that Keith said they did not ask Perkins to join the band because they wanted to keep it English ,when today when the majority of musicians playing on stage, the drummer bassist back up singers, Chuckand the horn section are all American.

Yeah, but they’re the backup; not the Rolling Stones winking smiley

Date: August 8, 2022 20:39

Big Al
Taylor1

Yeah, but they’re the backup; not the Rolling Stones winking smiley

Indeed, and the backing musicians were mostly American as well even back then (Nicky and Mac being the exceptions).

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 8, 2022 21:16

Taylor1

Keith acknowledges that by saying :

"Well, it is an English band, although you might not think that now".

Funny that when you do think about it now, they're more American than they are English.

Wayne Perkins is a far more diverse guitar player than Ronnie, and based on his contributions to the Stones they might have become an even better band with him. But you can't rewrite history.
Ronnie has proven his worth through longevity, but can't help but to think sometimes "what if"...Wayne's blazing virtuoso solo on Hand of Fate is literally singing through my mind as I type this...

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 8, 2022 21:32

kovach
HouseBoyKnows

[www.culturesonar.com]

HBK

I'm about 2/3's of the way through Chris Blackwell's autobiography in which there's a lot about his playing with the Wailers, and some about the Stones using Blackwell's studio in the Bahama's (among a huge amount of interesting stories about a wide variety of artists, not to mention some of Blackwell's early career work in movies). Very interesting book so far.

P.S. The book is called The Islander, it just came out in June, from what I've read so far (I'm actually about 80% through it) I can safely say I highly recommend it!

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 8, 2022 21:39

I can see why Wood was asked to join following his guest appearanceon the 1975 shows as a permanent member in 1976. His playing is great on the Tour of the Americas. Had he not been, then maybe they would have revisited Perkins as the guy. Iwish I had been old enough to see the 1972 and 1975 tours.

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: August 8, 2022 22:07

Taylor1
I can see why Wood was asked to join following his guest appearanceon the 1975 shows as a permanent member in 1976. His playing is great on the Tour of the Americas. Had he not been, then maybe they would have revisited Perkins as the guy. Iwish I had been old enough to see the 1972 and 1975 tours.

I saw the Stones in 1972 and 1975 at MSG/NYC. I was and always will be a huge MT fan and was quite shocked and unhappy when his leaving was announced in late 1974. I remember in 1975 thinking RW had impossible shoes to fill and was prepared to be disappointed. But he did a surprisingly good job and added much more entertaining stage presence, such that I was pleased when he took the job permanently.

HBK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1873
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home