Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith guitar & vocal track from Rocks Off?
Posted by: keefgotsoul ()
Date: July 27, 2022 11:19

[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

It sounds like the guitar track to me. What are your thoughts?

Re: Keith guitar & vocal track from Rocks Off?
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 27, 2022 11:42

The Unzipped exhibition has a mixing board where you can isolate all the major tracks for RO and several other songs. I played with it for a while on my last visit, and the guitar sounds right, but I don’t have a great ear for this. (I was surprised by how dire the backing vocals were in isolation though!) Maybe someone else who listened to these has better comments?

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 27, 2022 11:50

i don't know but it sure is awesome

thanks for sharing

can someone post it here?

Posted by: z ()
Date: July 27, 2022 12:15

Yes, the left channel guitar track.

Date: July 27, 2022 12:55

keefgotsoul
[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

It sounds like the guitar track to me. What are your thoughts?

Sounds very out of tune to me. I have my doubts if it's Keith at all, apart from the intro riff. When it's Keith, thank god it has been buried in the mix -it seems to work then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-27 13:03 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: July 27, 2022 14:06

ProfessorWolf

thanks for sharing

[we.tl]

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: July 27, 2022 14:30

SomeTorontoGirl
The Unzipped exhibition has a mixing board where you can isolate all the major tracks for RO and several other songs. I played with it for a while on my last visit, and the guitar sounds right, but I don’t have a great ear for this. (I was surprised by how dire the backing vocals were in isolation though!) Maybe someone else who listened to these has better comments?

That’s exactly where this is from.

Date: July 27, 2022 16:39

The 3 vocals in RO are one of my favorite recorded performances in all Stones. They are the reason this song has never worked live IMO. It's not one single vocal line, which really delivers the song. It's the composite.
I always believed that this was one of the very few cuts, where they should have changed key, for the live shows. So that Jagger could get some grit behind the verse melody. He never seems sure if he should go high or low.
It's a rocker, for sure, but it has a wonderful, almost Country melody.

Date: July 28, 2022 07:41

There’s more now. Taylor guitar part from Rocks Off and a Keith guitar part from Happy. Plus pictures of archival tapes from the recent documentary I guess. It’s interesting to hear this stuff!

[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

Date: July 28, 2022 07:49

Palace Revolution 2000
The 3 vocals in RO are one of my favorite recorded performances in all Stones. They are the reason this song has never worked live IMO. It's not one single vocal line, which really delivers the song. It's the composite.
I always believed that this was one of the very few cuts, where they should have changed key, for the live shows. So that Jagger could get some grit behind the verse melody. He never seems sure if he should go high or low.
It's a rocker, for sure, but it has a wonderful, almost Country melody.

Rocks Off is without question one of my very favorite Stones songs. I can vividly remember the first time I heard it! The guitars, vocals and whole feel of it is quintessential Rolling Stones sound in my opinion.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 28, 2022 08:30

BlueTurns2Grey
ProfessorWolf

thanks for sharing

[we.tl]

thank you

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: July 28, 2022 09:15

It’s hot as hell here.... I’m in the park having a toke and attempting to cool down and it’s just hit me, I’m wearing a Stones shirt, listening to Exile and am browsing a forum dedicated to the Stones. I swear man, I don’t have a problem, I could quit any time etc etc...

The Rocks off clip sounds like a Keith guide vocal to me.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 28, 2022 10:32

Keith loves to play Rocks Off live, it's a perfect foil for his talents, i wonder if he's disappointed it's not a warhorse. Always thought Rocks Off and Sway should have been Warhorses, Rocks Off is the perfect classic timeless rock track, i just think Mick is uncomfortable with the tempos, similar with Sway and that might be the reason we don't see these well received songs very often live.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: July 28, 2022 11:03

keefriffhards
Keith loves to play Rocks Off live, it's a perfect foil for his talents, i wonder if he's disappointed it's not a warhorse. Always thought Rocks Off and Sway should have been Warhorses, Rocks Off is the perfect classic timeless rock track, i just think Mick is uncomfortable with the tempos, similar with Sway and that might be the reason we don't see these well received songs very often live.

Rocks Off is one of my absolute favourite Stones songs. Especially any live version from the early 70s. I wish they’d beef up they sound for that one song add more distortion to the guitars... and play it every night.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2116
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home