Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Who went to the Voodoo Lounge Concert?
Posted by: mandu ()
Date: August 27, 2012 01:55

This was my 1st Rolling Stones Concert,I was living in Mackay north Queensland at the time and I took a bus to Brisbane and went to my 1st stones show.the cruel sea were the support band,the ticket i think cost 65$.

I took in about 14 pre rolled joints in a plastic bag in my shoe and I was up the back in the Voodoo Lounge Aera the opening song was not fade away when the stones came on stage I almost wet myself with excitment.

this was my fav concert of all time

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-27 01:56 by mandu.

Re: Who went to the Voodoo Lounge Concert?
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: August 27, 2012 02:00

my first tour as well - columbia, mo in september 1994

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: August 27, 2012 02:10

mandu
This was my 1st Rolling Stones Concert,I was living in Mackay north Queensland at the time and I took a bus to Brisbane and went to my 1st stones show.the cruel sea were the support band,the ticket i think cost 65$.

I took in about 14 pre rolled joints in a plastic bag in my shoe and I was up the back in the Voodoo Lounge Aera the opening song was not fade away when the stones came on stage I almost wet myself with excitment.

this was my fav concert of all time

ANZ Stadium Brisbane 12th April 1995 - mandu,I was there too!!! On the field,about 10 rows from the stage.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: August 27, 2012 02:12

Rose Bowl...October 21st, 1994...my second time seeing them after Steel Wheels in '89.

Despite far away seats, an excellent show - very loud and rockin'!

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: August 27, 2012 02:23

Gee..makes me feel a little old.
My first was in Detroit in 1966.

It kind of surprises me that folks are seeing the
Stones for the first time like that and really
digging them.

Marv

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: August 27, 2012 02:25

Giants Stadium shows

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: August 27, 2012 02:25

marvpeck
Gee..makes me feel a little old.
My first was in Detroit in 1966.

It kind of surprises me that folks are seeing the
Stones for the first time like that and really
digging them.

Marv

The Stones have outlived Detroit!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 27, 2012 02:31

I saw 5 shows on the tour. LOVED IT!!

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 27, 2012 02:32

New Orleans 10-10-94

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: August 27, 2012 02:52

Tampa Stadium and Miami Joe Robbie Stadium(Pay per view)...

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: August 27, 2012 02:57

Montreal Olympic Stadium (December 6th, 1994)
11th row from the stage, right in the centre. Not my first show, though. Saw them at the same venue in '89.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 27, 2012 03:07

First and only stones gig, Wembley 1995... the initial buzz of seeing them wore off soon enough and I felt quite bored.

It was not The Rolling Stones really.

Posted by: RSforever ()
Date: August 27, 2012 03:10

Copenhagen 11 June 1995.
Great consert, although the Parken stadium is not perfect for music, bad sound.
Liked the Urban Jungle in Gothenburg 1990 much more, which is still the best I have seen with Stones.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 27, 2012 03:13

I saw both shows in Foxboro MA not my favorite tour but I totaly disagree with hismajesty above who said it was not really the Rolling Stones. How do you figure that one?

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: August 27, 2012 03:20

Foxboro, first night (Sept. 4th?).

It wasn't loud enough and the guitars were too clean. My second show and probably my least favorite of the 18 or so I've seen, though the setlist was pretty great.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 27, 2012 03:50

slew
I saw both shows in Foxboro MA not my favorite tour but I totaly disagree with hismajesty above who said it was not really the Rolling Stones. How do you figure that one?

Because it felt like they are the same as those wonky bands that go out with one or two original members, but continue to use the big name in order to make more money.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 27, 2012 03:59

Detroit isn't dead yet! Still a lot of kick in that rust bucket city.

But yeah, I saw them in Washington DC on opening night. I thought it was a great show. Loved it. Sound issues, and some flubs not withstanding, it was great. They pulled out some really great ones that I was shocked to hear live for the first time. Hot Stuff, and a great version of Monkey Man!! Great show.

Posted by: freddyscholtz ()
Date: August 27, 2012 04:00

Chile, February 19, 1995....I was 15 at the time, I almost fainted when the guys appeared on stage.only time I saw them, became a huge fan after that.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: August 27, 2012 04:00

November 18 at Cotton Bowl in Dallas. I think it was drizzling. Bryan Adams and Johnny Lange opened. Nothing stands out about this show to me. I was 60 yards away on the floor and I had to trust the video screens that the Stones were there at all. I seem to recall that the show was not sold out. This was unusual as they band played two consecutive shows at the Cotton Bowl in 1981 and 1989.

It is hard for me to believe that this was almost 20 years ago.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 27, 2012 04:02

Jah Paul
Rose Bowl...October 21st, 1994...my second time seeing them after Steel Wheels in '89.

I was there. When they introduced the band Mick said Bill Wyman, and then looked around and said, "Oh, he's not here anymore."

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: August 27, 2012 04:04

whitem8
Detroit isn't dead yet! Still a lot of kick in that rust bucket city.

But yeah, I saw them in Washington DC on opening night. I thought it was a great show. Loved it. Sound issues, and some flubs not withstanding, it was great. They pulled out some really great ones that I was shocked to hear live for the first time. Hot Stuff, and a great version of Monkey Man!! Great show.

I too was at First Night in DC. Hot Stuff was awesome to hear, didn't last in the set list. That's one good thing about early shows, you get a couple of tunes that soon get dropped.
T@3

Date: August 27, 2012 04:10

Edith Grove
New Orleans 10-10-94

[www.iorr.org]

Yeah. And East Lansing, MI for me.

Posted by: Paulhanrahan ()
Date: August 27, 2012 04:30

Well guys, I live in Perth, Australia and actually won a competition via a show we had at the time called Hey Hey It's Saturday. I remember when the music host, Molly Meldrum introduced the competition thinking I'm going to win that. So yes my friend and I where at the Rose Bowl gig 1 on the 19th with Buddy Guy and Chilli Peppers. Pretty amazing experience for my first Stones gig, and the days leading up were great too with Stones sightings around LA etc. Saw them again in April '95 in Perth, 7th row, awesome!

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 27, 2012 04:32

I saw them on their second of two sold-out shows at CNE STadium in Toronto. One of my favorite concerts ever by any band...and maybe favorite by the Stones (including every tour from 1978 on that I have seen). Sound was great (despite being far from the stage...and good sound at Stones concerts has been a semi-rarity for me).

Unlike '81 and '89 they came out with a certain degree of nastiness in the Voodoo Lounge. They got back some of that 'danger' that set them apart originally from the likes of The Beatles. Not Fade Away as an opener was not a love song, it was more of a threat.

It started raining during Memory Motel (a highlight) and rained most of the night but it did not matter. Darryl Jones was on fire (and I am not a fan of his as a rock bassist). Keith was amazing. The only thing the concert lacked was Moonlight Mile, which they performed the night before. One of the most fun nights of my life.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 27, 2012 05:12

>The only thing the concert lacked was Moonlight Mile, which they performed the night before.

They never performed "Moonlight Mile" prior to 1999.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 27, 2012 05:40

Paulhanrahan
Well guys, I live in Perth, Australia and actually won a competition via a show we had at the time called Hey Hey It's Saturday. I remember when the music host, Molly Meldrum introduced the competition thinking I'm going to win that. So yes my friend and I where at the Rose Bowl gig 1 on the 19th with Buddy Guy and Chilli Peppers....

That is awesome for you... CONGRATS!!.... it had (still has) to feel great to win a contest to fly to LA to see the Stones... That is really cool.

I saw the Rose Bowl show too... it was one one of the few times I saw them from sooooooo far away (someone else was in charge of obtaining the tickets)... and we were only 1/2 way back in the lower level (actually there is only one level)... but good grief... The Rose Bowl is humongous... i feel sorry for the folks who were all the way in the back of the bowl(in Malibu)...The Rose Bowl is really really BIG.... it too big for a concert. We got lost after the show... so we started walking around the palce to find the limo.... and holy crap.... that place is huge.

The Rose Bowl was the only time I ever saw the RHCP and they looked like ants from that far away, and without the big screens and stage props the Peppers didnt stand a chance... it was lame....

I thought The Stones were fine... but we were too far away... but still it was Good... esp the 2nd half when the satge props made it all look bigger (from our seats, 5 miles away).

I also saw 5 other stops on that tour (of course they skipped KC, again, on that freekin tour)(but they did play bmfk Columbia Misery)(WTF?!) So we had to drive all the way Columbia, but at least we had 7th row center for that show (I was in charge of tickets). I remember that The Bummble bee band opened and they did not even play the bumble bee song... But The Stones were awesome.... especially the 2nd half of the Show when they had dropped all the huge voodoo trinkets down covering the stage... and then Jagger pops up in his voodoo getup... and they start playing SFTD... It was great.

Welcome to the VooDoo lounge

ps
I still have the neon light hanging on my wall from that (Budweiser sponosored) tour

Note to self... Next time maybe turn down my camera's picture size.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-27 06:02 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 27, 2012 05:42

Both shows at BC Place in Vancouver just before Christmas 94, including singing Happy Birthday to Keith! Row 16 on the floor first show, then Row 2 second. Spin Doctors opened, wasn't very impressed with them.
Also saw them both shows at same venue in 89, 98 and 06.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 27, 2012 05:58

Hismajesty - They have 3 of 5 original members and Ronnie had been in the band for 19 years at that point sure it was the first tour without Bill but they toured behind a very strong album in my opinion. Again not my favorite tour but it certainly is and felt like the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: August 27, 2012 06:37

24FPS
Jah Paul

I was there. When they introduced the band Mick said Bill Wyman, and then looked around and said, "Oh, he's not here anymore."

I recall a very long ovation for Charlie, with a close-up of him smiling on the big video screens for quite a while. Although I had better seats at the Coliseum in '89, I enjoyed the '94 performance a lot more...probably due to my preference of the Voodoo Lounge songs over the Steel Wheels songs, plus the band was just on fire - good sound and a fantastic set list.

Date: August 27, 2012 07:53

I saw two Voodoo Lounge shows.The first show was the Voodoo Lounge tour kick off in Washington D.C. at RFK stadium... Wow 27 song setlist! I saw the Stones a little later at Williams Brice Stadium in Columbia, South Carolina by then the setlist was down to 23 songs.Both were great shows and I really enjoyed them.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1631
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home