Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: questions about high end vintage audio equipment and how to set it up
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 6, 2022 10:59

ok here's the situation i'm about to come into some fairly high end vintage audio equipment

and though i use almost exclusively vintage equipment in my own setups it's almost all stuff i've scavenged from yard sales, thrift stores and even sidewalks and then repaired myself

so not very high end stuff but the stuff i'm getting is significantly better and i'm unsure how to care for and set it up properly

and in a way as to avoid damaging it and making sure that it last for a long time to come

now i have some skills i'm able to install and align my own turntable carts, take apart cassette decks and cd players and replace belts, lubricate everything, align heads and adjust motor speeds

but when it comes to understanding and assessing the actual electronics i'm a little out of my depth

and i know next to nothing about speakers there care and setup

also i haven't actually seen the equipment yet the guy i'm getting it from has been in jail the last couple years and he's getting on in years and wants this stuff (that he's had a friend store for him) to go to someone who will use and appreciate it

but he can't quite remember what exactly he has here's what he does know

he has four jbl l100 speakers that he had setup in a quadraphonic system with tape decks, turntable, reel to reel deck, and some other equipment he can't remember all thru some sort of pioneer receiver

he bought this between 1978-1980 and spent $750 for the revievier used

and he remembers that this receiver was powerful enough to rattle all windows in his house and the neighbours

what kind of quadraphonic pioneer recevier from this era could this be?

and i know enough about speaker that i probably souldn't just hook up 40 to 50 year old speakers and blast em' without checking them out servicing them first

but what do i need to do for them and is it something i could handle myself or should I take it to someone more qualified?

also i know that these speakers can't be hooked up and used properly with just any old receiver but if i want to hook them to my cheap old 80's sony receiver what would i need to do/use to make them work properly without damaging the receiver or speakers?

and any other tips you can give me on properly caring for and using this kind of equipment would be very appreciated

now i know this is probably not the best place to ask all this but i don't know where else to go

and i know some of you on here where lucky enough back in the day to have owned and used stuff like this and i would love it if you can share some advice with me and point me in the right direction

one final note i'm poor and on a tight budget this equipment is way beyond anything i ever had the right to expect to own and i very likely never am gonna have anything better land in my lap and i'd just like to make the best of it

thank for reading thru all that and baring with me

just can't wait blast my stones records thru this stuff!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-06 11:03 by ProfessorWolf.

Re: OT: questions about high end vintage audio equipment and how to set it up
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 6, 2022 17:41

A few suggestions:

Have the friend of the guy who claims to be the original owner provide you a list by name, along with photos, of the gear if possible. Then, research these items on the Web and see what value, if any, they might still have. It may have been state of the art equipment at one time, but if its old stuff, you might not be able to have it serviced or find parts to replace various bits. There are many sites online that have info on all sorts of audio gear.

Find a good audio shop that's been around awhile - if possible - and talk with them about what you have coming your way. The shop people should be able to give you an idea of whether its worth your while to acquire the gear. An independent music store may also be a source for info as they may have a tech person they can refer you to regarding audio gear, or, the tech person may know someone to assist you in determining whether the gear is worth your while.

Don't pay money, if asked, for this gear until you can ascertain its worth and future costs and use to you. Caveat emptor - let the buyer beware.

Date: July 6, 2022 20:22

dmay
A few suggestions:

Have the friend of the guy who claims to be the original owner provide you a list by name, along with photos, of the gear if possible. Then, research these items on the Web and see what value, if any, they might still have. It may have been state of the art equipment at one time, but if its old stuff, you might not be able to have it serviced or find parts to replace various bits. There are many sites online that have info on all sorts of audio gear.

Find a good audio shop that's been around awhile - if possible - and talk with them about what you have coming your way. The shop people should be able to give you an idea of whether its worth your while to acquire the gear. An independent music store may also be a source for info as they may have a tech person they can refer you to regarding audio gear, or, the tech person may know someone to assist you in determining whether the gear is worth your while.

Don't pay money, if asked, for this gear until you can ascertain its worth and future costs and use to you. Caveat emptor - let the buyer beware.

thank you

i'm being given all this for free

and i'll inquire what the models are so i can get more info but i'm certain i want the speakers

looking around ebay and a pair jbl l100 speakers are over a $1000 and he's giving me 4 of them

and as for a shop i've heard tell of a pretty good one about 150 miles from where i live

that's the closest i know of able to do substantial servicing

but i'm still asking around

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 7, 2022 17:02

I don't see big problems. Pioneer was a consumer product in the day. Not high end, but nevertheless certainly a good product.

The amp should have quite a few line in RCA sockets that you can use for just any source you may already have (CD, ipod, cassette etc.). It might also have a phono in for you turntable. If not, you will need buy a phono preamp.

Solid state amps work forever. So if it was stored well, it should work as it is. Just set it up as you would with any system and play it loud!

C

Date: July 8, 2022 01:03

liddas
I don't see big problems. Pioneer was a consumer product in the day. Not high end, but nevertheless certainly a good product.

The amp should have quite a few line in RCA sockets that you can use for just any source you may already have (CD, ipod, cassette etc.). It might also have a phono in for you turntable. If not, you will need buy a phono preamp.

Solid state amps work forever. So if it was stored well, it should work as it is. Just set it up as you would with any system and play it loud!

C

thanks i might be over thinking this

and i've found out what receiver it is a pioneer qx-9900 like this one on ebay

which seems a pretty big step up from my sony str-av47 or toshiba sms-4550

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-08 01:04 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 8, 2022 13:30

Scanned vintage catalogues of audio equipment (with technical data) can be found on: [AudioIdiots.com] .

Date: July 8, 2022 21:12

Irix
Scanned vintage catalogues of audio equipment (with technical data) can be found on: [AudioIdiots.com] .

thank you i'll check it out

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1930
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home