Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Carlos Santana fainted from dehydration during a performance in Michigan
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: July 6, 2022 12:31

hope he'll be oksad smiley

npr

Carlos Santana fainted from dehydration during a performance in Michigan

July 6, 20222:25 AM ET

Famed rock-and-roll guitarist Carlos Santana collapsed onstage from Tuesday evening while performing in Michigan, according to his website.

Santana, 74, was performing at the Pine Knob Music Theatre in Clarkston, Michigan, 40 miles northwest of Detroit, when he passed out from dehydration and heat exhaustion, the statement said.

"Carlos was taken to the emergency department at McLaren Clarkston for observation and is doing well," according to his manager, Michael Vrionis.

Santana was scheduled to perform Wednesday at The Pavilion at Star Lake in Burgettstown, Pennsylvania. That show is being postponed.

Originally born in Mexico, Santana and his family moved to the U.S. in the 1960s. Learning to play guitar at a young age, Santana rose to prominence in the 1960s and early 1970s.

Today, he is considered one of the greatest guitarists of all time. Santana has won 10 Grammy Awards and three Latin Grammys. In 1998 he and his namesake band were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. In 2015, Rolling Stone magazine ranked him at No. 20 in its list of 100 greatest guitarists of all time.

Re: OT: Carlos Santana fainted from dehydration during a performance in Michigan
Posted by: angee ()
Date: July 6, 2022 20:01

He is doing okay now.
(I saw him six weeks ago in Las Vegas, great show.)

From his wife on FB:

"Cindy Blackman Santana
2h ·
Hi Everyone! Carlos & I thank you so much for your prayers, love, care & concern for him! Please know that he’s resting and doing very well! He was diagnosed with heat exhaustion & dehydration… it was 100 degrees on stage and 114 under the lights so that coupled with not enough water is what caused the issue. He’ll be as good as new soon! Thank you again and we love you! Cindy & Carlos..."

~"Love is Strong"~

Re: OT: Carlos Santana fainted from dehydration during a performance in Michigan
Date: July 6, 2022 20:55

that's good to hearsmiling smiley

always liked him

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 6, 2022 20:57

Great to hear he is doing better. Stones should release 1975 NYC show with Carlos guesting on Sympathy for the Devil.Didn’t he also play at Altamount

Date: July 6, 2022 21:02

Taylor1
Great to hear he is doing better. Stones should release 1975 NYC show with Carlos guesting on Sympathy for the Devil.Didn’t he also play at Altamount

yup

and here's msg 75 too

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 6, 2022 23:39

Regarding Santana: I only really recollect that song with Rob Thomas(?) and those, few, ‘hits’ he had around that time. Wasn’t the album called ‘Supernatural’? I was still at school, then.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: July 7, 2022 04:41

Big Al
Regarding Santana: I only really recollect that song with Rob Thomas(?) and those, few, ‘hits’ he had around that time. Wasn’t the album called ‘Supernatural’? I was still at school, then.

Wow……speechless. Santana has 26 or so albums. Where are you from?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-07 05:01 by Cooltoplady.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 7, 2022 07:28

Cooltoplady
Big Al

Uh.... exactly.

Well, obviously Big Al isn't into... nevermind.

Date: July 7, 2022 08:34

GasLightStreet
Cooltoplady
Big Al

Uh.... exactly.

I know who he is, obviously. He’s a guitar virtuoso and has his place amongst those appreciate his style. He just isn’t for me. It’s strange, though: why would you necessarily expect someone born in the 1980’s to necessarily be familiar with an artist from a previous generation? I certainly do, but many more would be unfamiliar with him, I would imagine. If it were not for that little renaissance he had twenty-years ago, I, admittedly, would know far less.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 7, 2022 13:01

Black Magic Woman was a much bigger hit than Supernatural

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 7, 2022 13:59

Big Al
GasLightStreet
Cooltoplady
Big Al

Uh.... exactly.

I know who he is, obviously. He’s a guitar virtuoso and has his place amongst those appreciate his style. He just isn’t for me. It’s strange, though: why would you necessarily expect someone born in the 1980’s to necessarily be familiar with an artist from a previous generation? I certainly do, but many more would be unfamiliar with him, I would imagine. If it were not for that little renaissance he had twenty-years ago, I, admittedly, would know far less.

Yeah, no reason to know all old farts. But the renessaince 20 years ago was truely exceptional for a musician of his generation. SUPERNATURAL sold 30 million copies, topped, for example, US album list for 12 weeks, had two singles topping Billboard also, the first 12 weeks, the second 10 weeks. The album gathered 9 Grammys, a record at the time.

Basically he was the most popular artist in the world for a while. That's cool for an old hippie.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-07 14:20 by Doxa.

Date: July 7, 2022 14:13

Taylor1

i personally would find it hard to believe that someone with even a slight familiarity with classic rock would be unfamiliar with songs like evil ways, samba pa ti, oyo como va, jingo

Date: July 7, 2022 14:45

ProfessorWolf
Taylor1

i personally would find it hard to believe that someone with even a slight familiarity with classic rock would be unfamiliar with songs like evil ways, samba pa ti, oyo como va, jingo

Nope! I do know the hits off of Supernatural, though!

I know he recorded a version of Fleetwood Mac's Black Magic Woman, and that he opened for the Stones. Look, I'm fully aware of who Carlos Santana is; I'm just not familiar with his recordings, other than a couple of his more contemporary ones. Whilst I had a teenage obsession with my fathers vinyl collection, I also wanted a contemporary music scene of my own, and I wasn't able to absorb every bloody 'classic rock' artist, unfortunately.

Date: July 7, 2022 15:55

ProfessorWolf
Taylor1

I'm currently glancing through his singles discography on Wikipedia. Whilst I do concede that I don't knowingly know the songs you've namechecked here, perhaps I know them subconsciously. I'll have a listen, later thumbs up

I didn't particularly care for Smooth and Maria Maria, admittedly. The latter had that monotonous riff, if I recollect.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: July 7, 2022 16:41

Big Al
ProfessorWolf
Taylor1

I'm currently glancing through his singles discography on Wikipedia. Whilst I do concede that I don't knowingly know the songs you've namechecked here, perhaps I know them subconsciously. I'll have a listen, later thumbs up

I didn't particularly care for Smooth and Maria Maria, admittedly. The latter had that monotonous riff, if I recollect.

Start with his greatest hits with the shirtless guy holding a bird. His first 3-4 albums are prime Santana.

Date: July 7, 2022 17:09

NashvilleBlues
Big Al
ProfessorWolf
Taylor1

Start with his greatest hits with the shirtless guy holding a bird. His first 3-4 albums are prime Santana.

yes!

perfect place to start

santana's greatest hits 1974

listened to the vinyl earlier this morning

Date: July 7, 2022 17:28

Big Al
ProfessorWolf
Taylor1

Nope! I do know the hits off of Supernatural, though!

I know he recorded a version of Fleetwood Mac's Black Magic Woman, and that he opened for the Stones. Look, I'm fully aware of who Carlos Santana is; I'm just not familiar with his recordings, other than a couple of his more contemporary ones. Whilst I had a teenage obsession with my fathers vinyl collection, I also wanted a contemporary music scene of my own, and I wasn't able to absorb every bloody 'classic rock' artist, unfortunately.

it's a curse of all of us born to late to have absorbed all this when it was fresh and new

i listen to my mom talk about what radio was like when she was a kid back in the 60's and 70's and its just incredible the amount and variety that those of you old enough to have come of age then where exposed to on a regular basis

the radio was always on in her home and when were listening to music and i play some obscure soul, rock, funk, or country track from then most the time a few seconds in she's humming along and then singing the lyrics

and she doesn't know what the songs called or who played but she know every word to it

and its not like she had a huge record collection or something she just absorbed it thru the radio

which is not to say i don't think young people of later generations shouldn't have there own music

but that's just not something i've ever experienced or was interested in as a young man

i was always looking to the past for the music that meant something to me

sorry if i came off as disrespecting your own musical sensibilities and tastes not my intent

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-07 17:29 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 7, 2022 18:22

GasLightStreet
Cooltoplady
Big Al

Uh.... exactly.

I guess Big Al lives on a secluded island.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2030
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home