Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Billy Preston working with the Rolling Stones
Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: August 23, 2012 20:55

>I guess Billy Preston started working with them around 1970 (get a line on you ?)

Jagger demoed Shine A Light under its working title Get A Line On You
with Leon Russell (not with Billy Preston) in the first half of July 1970.
(Most probably with George Harrison on guitar and Ringo on drums!)
The first known version of Shine A Light with Billy Preston was recorded
in the second half of July 1970.

N

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 23, 2012 23:00

After working with The Beatles, Preston played keyboards for The Rolling Stones, alongside pianists Nicky Hopkins and Ian Stewart. Preston appears on the Stones' albums Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street, Goats Head Soup, It's Only Rock'n Roll and Black and Blue. He toured as a support act on their 1973 European Tour and recorded his live album Live European Tour 1973 in Munich with Mick Taylor on guitar that same year. In 1974 with some help from Beach Boy Dennis Wilson, he composed one of Joe Cocker's biggest hits, "You Are So Beautiful". On October 11, 1975, he was the first musical guest on Saturday Night Live's series premiere episode (along with Janis Ian). Also in that year, and in 1976, he again accompanied the Stones on vocals and keyboards. This time he played two of his own songs, backed by the Stones, in the middle of every concert. Preston's 1973 Do You Love Me was the basis for the Stones' Melody on their 1976 Black and Blue album. The Stones and Preston parted company in 1977, mainly due to an argument over money. He continued to play on solo records by Stones members and made appearances again on the Stones' 1981 Tattoo You and 1997 Bridges to Babylon albums.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 24, 2012 03:34

In 1979 Billy dropped in on The New Barbarians LA Forum gig and played with them during the encore.

In a 1970 Rolling Stone interview, I recall Stephen Stills saying he got the line, "Love the one you're with" from a Preston song.

He asked Billy if he could use it for a song he was writing, and Billy said OK.

Stills put it to good use.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 24, 2012 04:30

loog droog
In 1979 Billy dropped in on The New Barbarians LA Forum gig and played with them during the encore.

He was? I was at that gig and I don't remember him there.

My friend and I got backstage (how, I don't remember) at Keith's LA show during the Main Offender tour. There was a backstage area where we were and then there was another backstage (green room) area where the band was. That was like Ft. Knox. Anyway, in our area, we noticed Billy just standing there all by himself. Nobody talked to him, noticed him (excepts us all the way across the room), or paid any attention to him. Even he couldn't get backstage to see Keith and his buddies. Then Freddie Sessler came out, did a figure of 8 around the room, noticed him, chatted for a bit, but never took him backstage to Keith's area. From what I remember, Billy looked kinda sad just standing there all by himself.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 25, 2012 08:15

>How about playing live though, only Billy?

I don't think Billy ever played live with the Beatles. When/where are you thinking?

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: August 25, 2012 09:45

2000 LYFH
marcovandereijk
2000 LYFH

I believe he was the only person to work with both the Beatles and the Stones. Now that's something to be proud of. Does Eric Clapton count?

Nicky Hopkins worked with Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Who, Jeff Beck, just to name a few.

Yeah, how could I forget. How about playing live though, only Billy?

Andrew Splooge oldham

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: August 25, 2012 12:49

DandelionPowderman
guezeg
Hi everyone,

I guess Billy Preston started working with them around 1970 (get a line on you ?) and the collaboration ended around 1977. I'd like to know the details on how he managed to stay so close with them for 7 years and suddenly stop.

- Did he meet them in 1970 ?
- Did he work in Nellcote ?
- Why was he taken on board for '73 European Tour ?
- Did he play at El Mocambo 1977 ?
- How and why did the collaboration end ?

I'm sure you experts know the answers to some these questions :-)

Thanks !

He worked with The Beatles first, and then he gradually became part of the recording and touring group of the Stones.

I don't know about Nellcote, although he plays both piano and organ on Shine A Light.

He played at El Mocambo.

Haven't heard specifically how the collarboration ended, but obviously, the Stones wanted a back to the roots-approach for the SG-tour.

Preston also played on Mick's Wandering Spirit album.

BTW, I remember Preston saying (1976) in an interview I have on some bootleg that he first played with the Stones in the mid 60s.

That's all I know.

I dont think he was at Nellcote, - If Preston is on Shine A light - I'm sure his part was recorded at Olympic Studios in London, before the band left to France...or later at LA when they were doing overdubs. But I dont think was at Nelcote sessions at all..Hmmm..

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 25, 2012 13:48

Glam Descendant

I don't think Billy ever played live with the Beatles. When/where are you thinking?

He did. The Rooftop Concert. Their last live performance, and with Billy.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: August 25, 2012 17:35

Glam Descendant

Up on the roof!

[therockfile.wordpress.com]

Date: August 25, 2012 17:57

mtaylor
...and made appearances again on the Stones' 1981 Tattoo You and 1997 Bridges to Babylon albums.

Well, for Tattoo You it was just one of the Black And Blue recordings done in 1975. He was at the actual Bridges sessions for Saint Of Me.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1653
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home