Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
I'm not the only one ....
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 13, 2012 19:57

Am I the only one who doesn't think John Lennon's "Imagine" is the most wonderful song ever? Ditto "I Am The Walrus".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-13 20:45 by Elmo Lewis.

Re: You're not the only one ....
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 13, 2012 20:18

edging close to blasphemin'....

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: August 13, 2012 20:19

"Imagine" has aged terribly and is now only fit for boyscout campfire singing... Geez all that cheeze...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 13, 2012 20:35

perhaps some of you didn't see the earlier posted edict, but there shall be no lennon bashing on my site...

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 13, 2012 20:41

This is really more along the lines of Imagine bashing. Where does that stand?

Date: August 13, 2012 20:45

Munichhilton
This is really more along the lines of Imagine bashing.

put any nuance on it that you want...it's still lennon bashing. and i don't care if a super-pac is sponsoring the bashing...it will not be tolerated.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: August 13, 2012 20:50

StonesTod thems fightin words...

Not a fan of this song. Lennon wrote some great music but this isn't one of them. The other thing is that to think of the reality of the song is actually pretty depressing. I have talked to a few people about this but if you think about original sin, Adam & Eve, all that stuff... The ultimate question is 'Why allow evil into this world?' Great question. The answer is so that we would all be able to experience the human life we currently have.

Without the choice to do evil, there is no actual choice at all. So a world without anything to kill or die for, is infact a world filled with robots, actually. So Mr. Lennon's lyrics, on face value, are very peaceful and serene, but ultimately would usher in the most empty life possible.

Sounds great if you are into transcedenatlism and nihilism. Sounds horrible if you have a wife and kids and are aware of what is actually happening in the world. I pray for justice, grace, peace, love... not emptiness and nothingness.

My two cents. =)

Re: I'm not the only one ....
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 13, 2012 20:52

You'll have to bash me as well - I loathe Imagine and always have.

Date: August 13, 2012 20:56

WE need to all try and get along....dammit this is all Imagine's fault...

Date: August 13, 2012 20:56

flacnvinyl

Not a fan of this song. Lennon wrote some great music but this isn't one of them. The other thing is that to think of the reality of the song is actually pretty depressing. I have talked to a few people about this but if you think about original sin, Adam & Eve, all that stuff... The ultimate question is 'Why allow evil into this world?' Great question. The answer is so that we would all be able to experience the human life we currently have.

Without the choice to do evil, there is no actual choice at all. So a world without anything to kill or die for, is infact a world filled with robots, actually. So Mr. Lennon's lyrics, on face value, are very peaceful and serene, but ultimately would usher in the most empty life possible.

Sounds great if you are into transcedenatlism and nihilism. Sounds horrible if you have a wife and kids and are aware of what is actually happening in the world. I pray for justice, grace, peace, love... not emptiness and nothingness.

My two cents. =)

please take your money back. this is iorr. intelligent discourse is forbidden...fortunately it's rarely available...

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: August 13, 2012 20:58

sad smiley ...goes and sits in the corner with the dunce hat on.

15 minutes this time?

Date: August 13, 2012 21:01

flacnvinyl

15 minutes this time?

2nd offense this month, is it?

15 minutes whilst listening to a loop of streets of love...so that's 3 SOLs for you.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 13, 2012 21:03

lets not forget Elmo included 'I Am The Walrus'

a song I liked at 14...really liked at 16 smoking smiley

now don't listen to unless a muzak version comes on in the grocery store

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 13, 2012 21:05

flacnvinyl

My two cents. =)

Well said, my old friend ....

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: August 13, 2012 21:09

I always found "Imagine" utterly boring musically. "I am the walrus", on the other hand, I think is pretty cool.

Date: August 13, 2012 21:15

well lets face it, Imagine has a nice little piano riff and melody, and it's catchy. but lennon could have written a nice little riff and melody for a song about the garbage cans in his garage, too

its the words that people either love or loathe, which are for sure a direct anti war statement, and its either something people find touching, meaningful and sincere, or as a maudlin, sap-filled ballad

he's imagining what it might be like to like to live in a world with no wars, religion, or countries; it would be pretty cool, probably; that's the upside, everybody would just sit around, smoke pot and screw, (and presumably do business) no matter where you came from, you'd be to welcome join on in; no trade barriers, no culture clashes, no race or ethnic squabbling

hippie stuff, utopia

but the downside to the words are it's all just a figment of imagination. imagining such a world is easy; anybody can imagine, but getting it to happen is not, so in that sense the words are sort of ridiculous. there's no solutions offered here to get from point A to point B, from the mess lennon saw to the hippie utopia, other than to 'imagine' or fantasize about it, but not really do anything to accomplish it

maybe because that would inevitably require violence?

wat any rate its just song, not a geopolitical treatise, but it encourages people to sit around imagining and not actually doing anything to change anything, which is peaceful and non-subversive and all that.. and is probably why hippies all got bored of that realizing nothing would ever happen from sitting around fantasizing, and are now running the landscape into the ground as corporate raiders and stuff and lining their pockets with cash, instead

Date: August 13, 2012 21:17

i'm afraid i'm losing control of my site. imagine that.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 13, 2012 21:20

Imagine is the worst song by Lennon. It's not one of the great ones at all, it has a nice clever piano riff but the song, production, lyrics are just awful. Had he used one line starting with the word "Imagine" it could have been a clever song. His first solo album, the Plastic Ono Band/the primal scream album is a work of genius. He could have made that album and gone to the moon and we would still consider it one of the five best albums of all time by anyone.

Date: August 13, 2012 21:23

i'm reading a book on the tower of london and i just now learned about the reference to the 5th of november from "remember."

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 13, 2012 21:27

I have mixed emotions about this thread.......

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 13, 2012 21:33

you're not the only one...in that you can find solace.

You are perhaps though, one of the infinitesimally few.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: August 13, 2012 21:33

StonesTod
flacnvinyl

15 minutes this time?

15 minutes whilst listening to a loop of streets of love...so that's 3 SOLs for you.

once again....you are one sick individual....

Date: August 13, 2012 21:37

lunar!!!
StonesTod
flacnvinyl

15 minutes this time?

once again....you are one sick individual....

nothing like what went down at the tower of london in the 16th century. sometimes they had 10 or even 20 SOLs for something as trivial as being a heretic....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-13 21:47 by StonesTod.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 13, 2012 21:47

There's even people out there thinking 'Like a Rolling Stone' sunged by the composer himself is cheezy so I say nothing in this case...

2 1 2 0

Date: August 13, 2012 21:49

next thing you know ppl will start bashing springsteen and suggesting he's overrated or something. it never stops.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: August 13, 2012 21:52

I think "Imagine" is one of those great songs I neither like nor can listen to.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: August 13, 2012 21:53

I like the tunes very much.
Neil Young did a version at the piano recently of "Imagine", which brought me back to
hearing the original, rather than the overplayed elevator-music versions we have heard throughout
the years. When a song is this popular, it is sometimes hard to 'imagine' how it sounded in
context of the time it came out.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: August 13, 2012 22:25

"Imagine there's no countries..."

No Olympics for a start John

I thought that was amusing last night anyway.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: August 13, 2012 22:34

Lennon wrote great songs, but I will never understand why so many people glorify Imagine. The music is very boring and the world described in the lyrics is similar to the one in Huxley's Brave New World. "Was and will make me ill". Terrible.

Date: August 13, 2012 22:43

They could have gone with a lovely Phil Collins tune....maybe "Love Lift Us Up".
Phil on wires!

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1866
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home