Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Not the Big Four, rather the Big Seven of my life
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 29, 2020 00:33

I didn't know anything about the Rolling Stones, but you couldn't miss them and the buzz they created on their 1972 tour, even as a 14-year-old. So ABKCO cashed in and released Hot Rocks. What an amazing introduction to the Rolling Stones.

So then I bought the Big Five. Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, GYYYO, Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street. Yes, you have to include GYYYO in that run of albums.

Then a few decent albums but not with the impact of the final biggie, Some Girls. It was such a new sound and it really resonated within me just like the "old days." The big "come back" album. Seeing them that summer of 1978 was the most "rock and roll" experience that I ever had in my life.

The BIG SEVEN:

Hot Rocks
Beggars Banquet
Let it Bleed
GYYYO
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main Street
Some Girls

And an honourable mention for the film Gimme Shelter. I am convinced that that movie spawned 10,000 garage bands.

The Big Seven "live inside of me," and I assume for many of you reading it's a similar thing.

Re: Not the Big Four, rather the Big Seven of my life
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: November 29, 2020 01:02

IMO Some Girls is way overrated .I think Tatoo You, Bridges to Babylon, Between the Buttons, Goats Head Soup and Voodoo Lounge are better

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 29, 2020 02:17

I'd go with MileHigh's list, though I'd sneak in side two of Tattoo You and call it the BIG 7.5.
But then I'd probably have to add More Hot Rocks as it meant a lot to me (and still does), so my final tally is the BIG 8.5.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 29, 2020 02:41

TATTOO YOU is lauded as their last great album, the seventh of such, but if it doesn't do it for you than it doesn't do it for you.

Personally I don't like SOME GIRLS as much as other people mainly because it sounds too bright and jarring but song wise I do recognize its value in their discography regarding their survival as well as its critical appreciation and, of course, its cultural aspects as a distinct album in their history with its genre-crossing songs, as well as just over 18 million people agreeing that purchased it, their fourth highest selling studio album.

Date: November 29, 2020 04:25

Respectable, Lies, Far Away Eyes , Before they Make Me Run, When the Whip Comes Downare lesser Stones Songs.And I always found Miss You annoying and unconvincing.Mick loves it because most of the songs were written by him and it made a lot of money. Plus it had much more aggressive songs than the last two albums ,so when it came out it was very popular

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 29, 2020 12:03

Taylor1
IMO Some Girls is way overrated .

Can it really be as it contains TWO absolute timeless classics (MY and BOB )?
That's more than what's on IORR or B&Blue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-29 14:21 by dcba.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 29, 2020 12:54

The seven Stones LP’s that had the most impact on me :-

1. Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass) (U.K.)
2. Through the Past Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2) (U.K.)
3. Hot Rocks: 1964-1971
4. The Rolling Stones (U.K. debut)
5. December’s Children (and everybody’s)
6. Between the Buttons (U.S.)
7. Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Our

* it’s worth noting: all the above-mentioned are of equal great importance, yet do not necessarily represent my favourites: Beggars Banquet and Let it Bleed are my two most cherished Stones albums, but those listed, I feel, had the most impact; for many different reasons: first exposure; first-ever CD purchase; nostalgia, etc.

Date: November 29, 2020 13:31

dcba
Taylor1
IMO Some Girls is way overrated .

Can it really be as it contains TWO absolute timeless classics (MY and BOcool smiley?
That's more than what's on IORR or B&Blue.
Well, I agree Beast is great, but I have never liked Miss You.I think it’svocalsare annoying and the lyrics are unconvincing.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 29, 2020 14:24

Taylor1
I think it’s vocals are annoying and the lyrics are unconvincing.

That's what I think of "Far Away Eyes". winking smiley Re SG I really could do without "Lies", and I still find pulling that among the 30-40 good demos they had on hand they decided to work on "Lies" to make it a releasable track.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: November 29, 2020 15:13

My top 7, rated in order of impact had (at time of release):

1. "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out"
2. "Sticky Fingers"
3. "Exile On Main Street"
4. "Tatoo You"
5. "Emotional Rescue"
6. "Some Girls"
7. "Let It Bleed"

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 29, 2020 15:53

Should I add three albums to the Big Four it would be Tattoo You, Some Girls and Goat's Head Soup. In that order. Only studio albums counted. Not live or compilations.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: November 29, 2020 15:54

1 Exile
2. Let it Bleed
3. Sticky
4. Beggars
5. Tattoo You
6. Goats head
7 Black and Blue

This is harder to do than I thought since it depends on my mood. Hell, Satanic in mono is lots of fun too.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: November 29, 2020 16:25

A shame this forum doesn't have the very common "poll" feature. We'd be able to settle this once and for all which are the top 7. (mine would include Tattoo You, Some Girls and Goat Head Soup)

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 29, 2020 16:49

Indeed, it's the big 7, in order from absolutely great to just great:
Exile On Main Street
Let It Bleed
Beggar's Banquet
Tattoo You
Sticky Fingers
Some Girls
Aftermath

Big 8, if you include live albums:
Get Yer Ya Ya's Out

And then of course, the other albums contain a lot of gems too. If I would have to make a top 10, I would add:
Rolling Stones 1 (UK version)
Out of Our Heads (UK)

Then all the rest, which still has a lot of worthwhile stuff on them.

At the bottom:
Their Satanic Majesties Request (50% bulls***, 50% great)
Dirty Work (mostly horrible, apart from One Hit and Sleep Tonight)
Between The Buttons (entirely boring)

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 29, 2020 19:53

I feel a little bit lonely among you guys ...
Maybe it's because I grew up with the Stones as of the beginning of 1964.
After the impact of a couple of singles (Not Fade Away hit me like lightning, for instance and It's All Over Now was a power shot ...) their first albums came out (TRS, TRS-2, OOOH) and completely transformed me into a Stones addict. And then they started to write complete albums by themselves, which for me was like "they might go one for a long, long time (well, they did, didn't they? grinning smiley).
I agree with most of you that from 1968 on their quality level strongly increased, proven by a bunch of great albums, for sure also because of this "we want to survive the 1967 disaster year" feeling. By the time they reached the 80s the Stones were settled as rock 'n roll giants and "nothing could go wrong anymore", which one can find back in their albums from then on, partly containing great songs, but also mediocre ones. Luckily at times they still had the desire to travel back in time, resulting into Stripped and Blue and Lonesome. I really never experienced a dull moment over the past 56+ years with them. ups and downs, yes, but never dull spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
smileys with beer

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 30, 2020 02:55

The 7 albums, in no particular order, that had the biggest influence on me becoming a Stones fan:

Undercover
Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!
Tattoo You
Sucking In The Seventies
Hot Rocks (More Hot Rocks was in there but only side 3 at the time)
Goats Head Soup
Let It Bleed

smoking smileyRe: Not the Big Four, rather the Big Seven of my life
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 30, 2020 21:03

#7 Mickey Mantle

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 30, 2020 21:13

Hot Rocks, plain and simple. EOMS a very close second. 3 thru whatever I let the wind decide.....

Date: November 30, 2020 21:27

Ah, the albums that made me a fan!

1. Tattoo You
2. Undercover
3. Milestones
4. Rolled Gold
5. Some Girls
6. Out Of Our Heads UK
7. Exile On Main St.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-30 21:30 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 30, 2020 22:30

Something else, where I otherwise would have needed approximately 12 albums, not any longer with internal ranking,

instead the albums that made me a fan!

1. The German Decca compilation album of the first two EPs ( minus one song), plus a couple of singles
AROUND AND AROUND
2. THE ROLLING STONES (UK).

3. To quite some extent, but still not as much as the two first mentionned,
THE ROLLING STONES, vol 2 (UK) ( Side A better than side B )
4. The available US-version of OUT OF OUR HEADS.

5. AFTERMATH (UK) (obviously great).

In addition, the magical singles with both their A- and B-sides from, although a couple for me on an album, from "The Last Time" / "Play with Fire" and upwards made an impact on me as much as the albums,

but then came the very decisive album in making me a fan in a drawn out process over a couple of years, by showing me that the Rolling Stones were able to appeal to me in various more ways than one or two, consequently for me personally the highly important album.

6. BETWEEN THE BUTTONS (UK)

Then I was even more ready than before for the continuation!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-30 22:35 by Witness.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: November 30, 2020 23:11

My personal top ten

Chronological order:

1 singles collection london years
2 beggars
3 Bleed
4 sticky
5 exile
6 iorr
7 B&B
8 SG
9 tattoo
10 steel wheels

Date: December 1, 2020 00:03

Witness
Something else, where I otherwise would have needed approximately 12 albums, not any longer with internal ranking,

instead the albums that made me a fan!

1. The German Decca compilation album of the first two EPs ( minus one song), plus a couple of singles
AROUND AND AROUND
2. THE ROLLING STONES (UK).

3. To quite some extent, but still not as much as the two first mentionned,
THE ROLLING STONES, vol 2 (UK) ( Side A better than side B )
4. The available US-version of OUT OF OUR HEADS.

5. AFTERMATH (UK) (obviously great).

In addition, the magical singles with both their A- and B-sides from, although a couple for me on an album, from "The Last Time" / "Play with Fire" and upwards made an impact on me as much as the albums,

but then came the very decisive album in making me a fan in a drawn out process over a couple of years, by showing me that the Rolling Stones were able to appeal to me in various more ways than one or two, consequently for me personally the highly important album.

6. BETWEEN THE BUTTONS (UK)

Then I was even more ready than before for the continuation!

That's a great relief ... I'm not alone spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: December 1, 2020 00:10

It's really interesting how there's a great diversity of opinion among the fans. And I am not saying that to be politically correct.

Both Hot Rocks and More Hot Rocks had gatefolds of course. That also made those records into very nice tactile and visual experiences. EOMS of course too. I still have the postcards.

Will the next album in 2023 be the "Big One" with teenage girls screaming again for 80-year-old men? grinning smiley

Date: December 1, 2020 00:11

There should be an album of the best songs from 1964-1965:Tell Me, As Tears Go By, Good Times ,Bad Times, I’m Free, Play With Fire, Blue Turns to Grey, Get Off My Cloud, Saisfaction,The Last Time, and Time is on My Side(cover).That would be a top 10.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-01 00:11 by Taylor1.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: December 1, 2020 01:00

the big 7 for me is

beggars banquet
exile on main street
out of our heads
let it bleed
sticky fingers
tattoo you
goats head soup

Date: December 1, 2020 15:03

Taylor1
There should be an album of the best songs from 1964-1965:Tell Me, As Tears Go By, Good Times ,Bad Times, I’m Free, Play With Fire, Blue Turns to Grey, Get Off My Cloud, Saisfaction,The Last Time, and Time is on My Side(cover).That would be a top 10.

This one, perhaps?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-01 15:04 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: December 2, 2020 23:21

It all depends on my mood but in no order these are the ones I go back to most

Buttons
Satanic
Sticky Fingers
Exile
Goats Head Soup
Some Girls
Undercover

Date: December 3, 2020 00:05

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

This one, perhaps?

And how about the first CD of the Singles Collection 3CD set? Together with DPs suggestion you should be fine winking smiley

Date: December 3, 2020 00:12

But this 1963-1965 collection is mostly cover versions.My proposed album has only Jagger-Richards,Nanker Phelge songs except for Time Is On My Side

Date: December 3, 2020 00:23

There are 12 original tunes on it, but I get what you're saying.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1529
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home