Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Any news info on finding a 69 Auburn tape?
Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: May 5, 2022 16:52

I like to ask every couple of years. I believe there is a tape of the show. I was at a Record show at Serb hall in Milwaukee in the early 80's and a tape guy claimed to have a rare tape (Auburn 69). I was too young and dumb to really follow up and ask the right questions, and left as I wasnt really into tapes.

Just checking to see if anyone has heard of a cassette (I assume) circulating.

Re: Any news info on finding a 69 Auburn tape?
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 6, 2022 00:05

no but i like many here would also love to hear it

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: May 6, 2022 07:10

No but who knows. Maybe someone has one but isn’t releasing it. Would love to hear it like everyone on this board.

Date: May 6, 2022 16:16

Yeah, I gotta believe there is a tape somewhere in a box that no one knows about. Probably will never see the light of day. It was pre internet when I met this tape guy and didnt really know that Auburn was rare. He was an older guy and I suspect is long gone. He would have made the rounds in the Midwest. He was probably 60 longer grey hair, LOTS of cassettes in case someone here was a tape collector in that era. He was a dead head for sure.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: May 6, 2022 19:59

Probably not the greatest quality if it exists. I am still waiting for the Maysles Brothers’ estate to release the complete MSG 1969 shows. That was professionally recorded.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: May 6, 2022 23:14

Never say never as we recently got a new tape of the Boston 1969 first show. Not great quality but very listenable so you never know what still lurks in peoples closets.

The only thing that may make me bet against it was it was a college show so probably mostly college students and their dates so not sure if there would have been tapers there back in those early days of taping.

Posted by: 1specialrider ()
Date: May 7, 2022 01:50

I was told of the existence of an Auburn soundboard in the early 1980s by Tom Beech .At the time,Tom owned a record store in Maryland ,and was a respected,and well connected collector,dealer.He did not have the board,and had never heard it.I also have a fairly strong recollection of having read about it,either before or after talking to Tom,in a Stones fan publication. However,I spent the morning going through my archives,and could not find the reference.I don’t think I was given a name of the owner. During the 80 sand 90s I was pretty deeply immersed in the boot/ tape collecting scene. I always kept an eye out for any hint of theAuburn,and never came across anything. I haven’t any contact with Tom for 40 years.My gut tells me the Auburn does exist.

Date: May 7, 2022 19:51

>I was told of the existence of an Auburn soundboard in the early 1980s by Tom Beech .At the time,Tom owned a record store in Maryland ,and was a respected,and well connected collector,dealer.He did not have the board,and had never heard it.I also have a fairly strong recollection of having read about it,either before or after talking to Tom,in a Stones fan publication. However,I spent the morning going through my archives,and could not find the reference.I don’t think I was given a name of the owner. During the 80 sand 90s I was pretty deeply immersed in the boot/ tape collecting scene. I always kept an eye out for any hint of theAuburn,and never came across anything. I haven’t any contact with Tom for 40 years.My gut tells me the Auburn does exist.<

This is in the ballpark of the story that this old tape guy told me. His spin was that an student Auburn video/audio club member taped the show. I could kick myself for not digging into this with him. Once I heard "tapes" I checked out.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-07 19:53 by timmyj3.

Posted by: automaticchanger ()
Date: May 7, 2022 21:00

I checked the 69/70 yearbook, but there was no A/V club pictured. Only Stones content was one photo:

In the Student paper from the 20th there's two articles complaining about the delays in show times and unexpected equipment costs (common complaints for the tour):

[content.lib.auburn.edu]

Brief mention of expected costs and a general article on the band in the Nov 13th issue:

[content.lib.auburn.edu]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-07 21:09 by automaticchanger.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: May 8, 2022 00:10

automaticchanger
I checked the 69/70 yearbook, but there was no A/V club pictured. Only Stones content was one photo:

In the Student paper from the 20th there's two articles complaining about the delays in show times and unexpected equipment costs (common complaints for the tour):

[content.lib.auburn.edu]

Brief mention of expected costs and a general article on the band in the Nov 13th issue:

[content.lib.auburn.edu]

thanks for the photo

don't think i have that one

Date: May 8, 2022 16:15

Very nice photo.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: May 8, 2022 19:52

timmyj3
Very nice photo.
Yes very nice pic. I use to have Philly 78 or 81 on lp a boot. Great pic of Mick but recording sucked..very distant. I lost it in a flood

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-05-08 19:52 by babyblue.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1714
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home