Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415
Current Page: 15 of 15
Re: Stones rumored to play Olympics Closing Ceremony
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 14, 2012 17:52

Stoneage
There are a few excuses which could be acceptable: not being stageready is not one of those.

True but literally that claim by Mick is contingently true: most probably The Stones are not at the moment stage-ready. However, if they would have liked to perform, they - of cuorse - would have been... But like Ronnie said there never was any intention.

- Doxa

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 14, 2012 18:06

Doxa
Stoneage
There are a few excuses which could be acceptable: not being stageready is not one of those.

True but literally that claim by Mick is contingently true: most probably The Stones are not at the moment stage-ready. However, if they would have liked to perform, they - of cuorse - would have been... But like Ronnie said there never was any intention.

- Doxa

Gary Barlow of Take That managed to perform despite his baby daughter having been born dead a few days earlier. Kind of puts the Stones' silly excuses into a bit of perspective.

Whilst I never really was that keen on them playing it anyway and never expected them to perform, the 'not stage ready' excuse is a crock. We're talking about what would have been a 5 or 10 minute appearance performing a song or two that they should be able to play even if they were in a coma. They werent exactly being asked to split the atom.

Jagger should have just said 'we just werent interested' instead of making it sound as if they belong in a nursing home.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 14, 2012 18:07

Doxa
Stoneage

- Doxa

That's also true. But on the other hand they could just have showed up. Like Muhammed Ali did. Showed some good will. They didn't have to play anything. Kind of like they did for 12 July.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: August 14, 2012 18:10

How can you not be "stage ready" when your band was most likely going to play along to a pre-recorded track? Has Keith not been practicing his poses?

Or were The Stones not even capable of getting their shit together to record their performance beforehand?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 14, 2012 18:30

GumbootCloggeroo
How can you not be "stage ready" when your band was most likely going to play along to a pre-recorded track? Has Keith not been practicing his poses?

Or were The Stones not even capable of getting their shit together to record their performance beforehand?

Damn good questions. As itself "being not stage-ready" is actually such an odd excuse - has anyone hear any significant pro band ever making such claims in public - like admitting that they are so damn terrible condition, or weak players, that they can't play. Must be Jagger's strange humor or some kind of lapsus.

- Doxa

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: August 14, 2012 18:30

I reckon Keith just said "Not interested" as he did for Live Aid. He doesn't give a sh*t about anything apart from his image, unfortunately.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: August 14, 2012 18:34

The Olympics Ceremony are over and out...............let's hope for RIO grinning smiley

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: August 14, 2012 19:00

We still have the paralympics!

Date: August 14, 2012 19:00

Yes, the Olympics are over.....but do you think London will be ready in time? We shall see!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 14, 2012 20:00

GumbootCloggeroo

How about maybe they refused to play because they didnt' WANT to play to a pre-recorded track? It's been said earlier in this thread that the Stones were the ONLY ones to play live at the Superbowl while every ohter act played to a pre-recorded track...if they were invited to the London Olympics it could be possible that if they were gonig to play the requiprement was that they hd to perform to a pre-recorded track--which is of no interest to them. I'm sure that didn't sweeten the deal when Mick was weighing the offer.

If that was the case, I can see Mick's reasoning to turn it down...getting together to re-record a few songs only to mime it on stage? Seems like a waste of time. Honor or no honor.

Posted by: Ged Rambler ()
Date: August 14, 2012 20:04

Gazza
Doxa
Stoneage

- Doxa

Gary Barlow of Take That managed to perform despite his baby daughter having been born dead a few days earlier. Kind of puts the Stones' silly excuses into a bit of perspective.

Whilst I never really was that keen on them playing it anyway and never expected them to perform, the 'not stage ready' excuse is a crock. We're talking about what would have been a 5 or 10 minute appearance performing a song or two that they should be able to play even if they were in a coma. They werent exactly being asked to split the atom.

Jagger should have just said 'we just werent interested' instead of making it sound as if they belong in a nursing home.

Spot on Gazza - its all a lame excuse - for once they could have just ditched their over inflated ego's & made an appearance - no-one would have over analyzed it - the stadium was full of the 'feel good' factor - people would have been perfectly happy that they'd just turned up.

Too late now - thr trains left the station - Sad,sad,sad.

Date: August 14, 2012 20:09

tomcat2006
I reckon Keith just said "Not interested" as he did for Live Aid. He doesn't give a sh*t about anything apart from his image, unfortunately.

Right. Keith holds all the cards here. eye rolling smiley

Mick is the boss...it's always been him He decides what the band does...everyone else comes along for the ride if they all want to do it too.

Mick is so business oriented that he doesn't make a move if it doesn't somehow equal some kind of financial or publicity benefit. With a brand name like The Rolling Stones--you don't just make random appearnaces anywhere you want. Every move is calculated and planned. No appearances outside of a tour is left to chance and at this point of the "game" Mick only picks opportunities where few key criteria are fulfilled: 1) The Stones will be the main attraction, 2) The Stones will be presented in a favorable light and 3) the repurcussions of such an appearance will benefit them greatly (mainly as promotion for a product or a tour). It seems the Olympics did not fulfill all those criteria for Mick to want to accept it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-14 20:10 by Justin.

Date: August 14, 2012 20:21

Justin
tomcat2006

Mick is the boss...it's always been him He decides what the band does...everyone else comes along for the ride if they all want to do it too.

Mick is so business oriented that he doesn't make a move if it doesn't somehow equal some kind of financial or publicity benefit. With a brand name like The Rolling Stones--you don't just make random appearnaces anywhere you want. Every move is calculated and planned. No appearances outside of a tour is left to chance and at this point of the "game" Mick only picks opportunities where few key criteria are fulfilled: 1) The Stones will be the main attraction, 2) The Stones will be presented in a favorable light and 3) the repurcussions of such an appearance will benefit them greatly (mainly as promotion for a product or a tour). It seems the Olympics did not fulfill all those criteria for Mick to want to accept it.
And THIS is the band that we all love?? Good grief!

Date: August 14, 2012 20:30

They've been this way for many, many years now...this isn't the first thing they've declined. They've turned down a bunch of festival appearances, TV appearances (last May's SNL fiasco rings bells here) over the years and I have no doubt that this has been Mick and company's thought process for some time now. Once they reached "legendary" status, they picked and chose their events carefully. And apparently, Mick isn't budging about not being "stage-ready" if they're not in a middle of a tour. Either he doesn't believe in the band's capabilities--or his own--or both---unless they've done a month long rehearsal to whip themselves into shape.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: August 14, 2012 21:59

I met a German girl in England who going to school in France and we
danced the Mississippi at an Alpha Cappa dance... oh wait, that wasnt me.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: August 15, 2012 00:34

Justin
tomcat2006

I think we're both right.

Nothing happens without Mick's consent and I agree with your comments.

That said, if Keith doesn't (or can't) be bothered to do a one-off then it ain't gonna be the Stones... and Mick then has to decide if he wants it to be a solo spot. Evidently not, on the evidence available.

Date: August 15, 2012 11:36

tomcat2006

Er, he did Live Aid...

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: August 15, 2012 11:40

What was in for the Stones? Would a good performance sell more tickets for any future tour? I doubt it but a really bad show might have damaged their reputation.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 15, 2012 12:27

DandelionPowderman
tomcat2006

Er, he did Live Aid...

I think tomcat2006 meant Live 8...

Posted by: brownsugar86 ()
Date: August 15, 2012 12:57

Did they give a reason about not doing Live 8?
I remember seeing an interview with Bob Geldoff doing a generic impression of Mick talking and not being keen, but I can't remember what he said.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 15, 2012 13:03

brownsugar86
Did they give a reason about not doing Live 8?
I remember seeing an interview with Bob Geldoff doing a generic impression of Mick talking and not being keen, but I can't remember what he said.

I remember having read Geldof said they´ve been the second band who agreed to play when later on Keith refused to.
Geldof and Jagger tried to convince him heavily but he rejected...

Date: August 15, 2012 14:28

Braincapers
What was in for the Stones? Would a good performance sell more tickets for any future tour? I doubt it but a really bad show might have damaged their reputation.

Eh?

How bad could they possibly have been if they were asked to perform for maybe 5-10 minutes and given all the time in the world to prepare for it? Seriously? If youre worried about their ability to play for ten minutes at an event which has been planned for YEARS what does it say about your faith in their ability to play for two hours a night for a stretch of about 50-60 shows? Especially when theyre asking you to pay silly money for the experience.

Would a good performance sell more tickets for a future tour? How could it NOT have done when the event was watched by a couple of billion people?

Every artist who performed at the opening and closing ceremonies saw their sales rocket overnight. You can bet had they been on tour, a similar effect would have occurred for their ticket sales.

Date: August 15, 2012 14:51

Maybe Mick was worried about how they would come across to new fan prospects? eye popping smiley

Date: August 15, 2012 15:40

DandelionPowderman
Maybe Mick was worried about how they would come across to new fan prospects? eye popping smiley

Its going to take a hell of a lot of make up and wrinkle cream to fix that.

Not to mention taking a zero off the end of their ticket prices.

That ship has sailed long ago.

Date: August 15, 2012 15:47

Gazza
DandelionPowderman

Its going to take a hell of a lot of make up and wrinkle cream to fix that.

Not to mention taking a zero off the end of their ticket prices.

That ship has sailed long ago.

Irony, my friend winking smiley

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: August 15, 2012 15:54

Gazza
Braincapers

Eh?

How bad could they possibly have been if they were asked to perform for maybe 5-10 minutes and given all the time in the world to prepare for it? Seriously? If youre worried about their ability to play for ten minutes at an event which has been planned for YEARS what does it say about your faith in their ability to play for two hours a night for a stretch of about 50-60 shows? Especially when theyre asking you to pay silly money for the experience.

Would a good performance sell more tickets for a future tour? How could it NOT have done when the event was watched by a couple of billion people?

Every artist who performed at the opening and closing ceremonies saw their sales rocket overnight. You can bet had they been on tour, a similar effect would have occurred for their ticket sales.

Fair point. My view is that a 'farewell' tour will sell well enough anyway but if they'd sound/monitor problems or Mick's voice had a bad night it would be like the jubilee party where all people said about Macca was that he was past it and his voice has gone.

Personally I have no doubts about the Stones playing a full set but I have doubts about an extended tour.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 15, 2012 16:31

There is one reason for not attending the closing ceremony which hasn't been mentioned here. That is security. That stadium was certainly guarded by both air- and ground defences.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415
Current Page: 15 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1751
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home