Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

What's that Keith font?
Posted by: stonesman87 ()
Date: April 18, 2022 00:11

The one in his YouTube banner at [www.youtube.com], in the rough hand-written free-style format?

Does anybody know where it can be downloaded from?

Re: What's that Keith font?
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 18, 2022 01:55

See your question about the font used on the front cover of Main Offender - [iorr.org] .

Date: April 18, 2022 07:39

Irix
See your question about the font used on the front cover of Main Offender - [iorr.org] .

That was more than 6.5 years ago, and no firm conclusion was reached.

Closer inspection shows that even though the same letter appears in more than one style, there is still a pattern that has styles appearing more than once, like a database of a set number of styles from which choices are made. They're not necessarily new and randomly "hand-written" each time, for example, the letter "E", which has 2 or 3 styles in the "database".

I was hoping that after all this time, new insight into how this "font" is structured might have arisen, particularly given the fact that the banner on Keith's YouTube site at [www.youtube.com] has previously-unseen words ("available now" and the earlier "take offense March 18th"), letters (B and V, if I have that right), and numbers (1 and 8, I believe) in this "font".

Interestingly, right-clicking on the banner, selecting "application", then "fonts" does not reveal it in a list of 3 fonts that comes up, so it's not a conventional font as such. But it is somehow a style with defined (somewhere) characteristics. Maybe it's a bunch of image files, but that's only a guess on my part.

I suggest that somebody has drawn further from a kind of "font database" to come up with these new elements. The question is about where the "font database" is and what its rationale is. If anybody has any information about this, feel free to add a comment ..... or even a link to the source!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 18, 2022 09:30

I’m afraid these fonts are unique and made up for one time use. For example Bridges to Babylon, never saw that anywhere else. And of course Voodoo Lounge. I suppose there’s a way to draw and scan them and then create a ttf file? Probably the only way to get these.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 18, 2022 10:41

Isn't it just a stylized version of his own handwriting?

Mathijs

Date: April 18, 2022 12:17

frankotero, I think you might be on the right track, something along the lines of the image files concept that I mentioned. Just one problem - not every letter of the alphabet and only three of 10 numbers (if you include 0) have been sighted. And let's not forget the fact that some letters appear in different styles, not just one. Oh gosh, even "999" is in three different sytles of 9.

Mathijs, perhaps that's correct, but if so, that still leaves us at the ground floor when it comes to amassing a complete .ttf character set.

The search continues.

In the meantime, however, the freestyle font on Keef's website (https://www.keithrichards.com/) CAN be found and captured using the right-click method that I mentioned, then converted to .ttf. It's called "Reenie Beanie". This comes in as a pretty close second place, something, personally speaking, I'm pretty good with for what I'll call a Keef stylized font.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-04-18 12:20 by stonesman87.

Date: April 18, 2022 12:25

stonesman87. Thanks for the font name tip. I’ll search for it. Always looking for new stuff to work with. Making CD artwork is a hobby of mine.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 18, 2022 13:49

Taking it to a new level of fandom .

Date: April 18, 2022 14:19

Yeah, I’m not the guy that claims to like The Stones a lot but only has 5-10 of their albums.smiling smiley

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 18, 2022 15:24

building up a database of letters by hacking into Keiths fax machine

Date: April 29, 2022 13:36

Well, ahem, has anybody come up with a character set for this "font"?

I was going to e-mail Keef via his website, but there are no links.

Perhaps this thread will have to go to sleep again, but it was interesting to note that some new characters came to light in association with the 30th anniversary release.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1709
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home