Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Original Fan Club
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 24, 2008 17:22

Plenty of threads concerning the "official club"-none very complimentary.

Does anyone recall the first club-which had official status?
The Secretary was one Sue Arnold who ran it 1964-1972.
I think its office was wherever the Stones London office was at the time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-27 13:40 by bv.

Re: TheOriginal Fan Club
Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: July 24, 2008 17:34

22 September 1963: Shirley Arnold who was 16 at that time. She propose to the band to manage the first fan club.

But I found a pix of certain Annabelle Smith, dated 1963, who also ran a Stones fans club.
ref: (http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=654851)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-24 17:48 by straycat58.

Date: July 24, 2008 17:41

Shirley used to go and see the Stones at Ken Colyer's Studio 51 on Sunday afternoons early in 1963. "They were doing all the old rhythm and blues stuff like Cops And Robbers and Roll Over Beethoven." One day, down at the front in the crush and the heat, she fainted and was passed over the heads of all the punters and into the dressing room. "Bill said the fan club's not that together. Would you like to run it?" It was a chance encounter that brought Shirley Arnold into the inner sanctum. "I was working in the city for a fiver a week. They offered me seven. I said I'd have done it for free. There was never any bitchiness in those early days within the band," she claims, "never anything that I thought was nasty."

this is an extract from Mojo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-24 17:43 by straycat58.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 24, 2008 17:52

There was an official fan club in the 60's. They made 30 issues of the Rolling Stones Book, a great magazine every fan should own, and they mailed out letters to fan club members. Then, these days you have the over-commercial RollingStones.com "fan club". Having said that, how can you make a fan club official? A fan of yourself? Controlling your own fans? A fan club is supposed to be unofficial. Period.

Bjornulf

Date: July 24, 2008 17:58

There's another interesting document.

[entertainment.ha.com]

On April 4, 1963 , Brian wrote to Doreen Pettifer and gave her all the information for running the first official fan club.

What I know is that the same girl, Doreen , ran the John Mayall fan club and Mayall also dedicated a song to her. She was from Manchester.

Hence, Pettifer should have arrived before Shirley, although the latter remained with the Stones until the 70's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-24 17:59 by straycat58.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: July 24, 2008 18:12

I still have letters from Annabelle. They sent out the Paint It Black (Fan Club Sleeve) with no LONDON LOGO on it.

JR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-24 18:14 by stone-relics.

Date: July 24, 2008 18:25

Therefore Annabelle was the US fan club secretary, not UK . Correct?

What is the PIB Fan Club Sleeve with no London logo? didn't know about it. Have a pix John?

Date: July 24, 2008 18:31

Will post a pic when I get home from work. Hers was the UK fan club.

JR

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: July 24, 2008 19:24

bv
There was an official fan club in the 60's. They made 30 issues of the Rolling Stones Book, a great magazine every fan should own, and they mailed out letters to fan club members. Then, these days you have the over-commercial RollingStones.com "fan club". Having said that, how can you make a fan club official? A fan of yourself? Controlling your own fans? A fan club is supposed to be unofficial. Period.

BV, are there any mags from the '72 tour?

Date: July 24, 2008 22:42

straycat58
Therefore Annabelle was the US fan club secretary, not UK . Correct?

What is the PIB Fan Club Sleeve with no London logo? didn't know about it. Have a pix John?

Pics as requested. 1st is the regu;ar US sleeve, note LONDON LOGO. Second is Fan Club Sleeve, NO LONDON LOGO. Also note fold at top, where it was folded to be sent by mail in a more standard size logo. Copy of the letter can be had, along with an original sleeve, for a nominal fee. I have two sleeves, but only one letter.

JR

JR

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: July 24, 2008 22:49

At the time of the re-release of the Beatles magazine in May 1976, I wrote to Johnny Dean, the publisher, to ask whether there were any plans for a re-print of the Stones monthly.

His answer was NO, because he thought the Stones weren't popular enough to make it worthwhile!!!

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 24, 2008 22:58

We had a German Fan club in late 60's to 71 and got our letters from Annabelle as well.

I think she came after Shirley. There were big Fan Clubs in Kopenhagen and Switzerland!

Date: July 24, 2008 23:55

CousinC
We had a German Fan club in late 60's to 71 and got our letters from Annabelle as well.

I think she came after Shirley. There were big Fan Clubs in Kopenhagen and Switzerland!

Yeah, but did you get all the sleeves..there were two others without the LONDON logo.

JR

Date: July 25, 2008 14:15

which ones John?

thanks for the PIB pix.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 25, 2008 14:31

Shirley is with the RSFCO today isn't she?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: July 25, 2008 14:36

Shirley is of course immortalised on Ronnie's debut album with an entire track dedicated to her.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 25, 2008 14:58

bv

Not convinced a fan club HAS to be unofficial.
You could have an arms-length arrangement, which would give the club some responsibilty-but potentially acccess to a lot of "goodies".
I think the Stones lost interest after they went into tax exile-also fan clubs -had become a bit "old hat".
Shirley (thanks for putting me right on her first name)Arnold is mentioned a bit in Bill's books and seems to have been a part of the inner circle (not the inner inner circle of course). I believe Bill went to her "leaving do" party in 1972!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 25, 2008 15:46

Wasn't there a short lived one in the 80s too ?.
I've got a bunch of stuff from it somehere. Seem to recall some blurb about it packaged with the Under Cover album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-25 15:47 by Spud.

Date: July 25, 2008 16:10

Spud
Wasn't there a short lived one in the 80s too ?.
I've got a bunch of stuff from it somehere. Seem to recall some blurb about it packaged with the Under Cover album.

Yes, Bill German's Beggars Banquet. Great stuff, that.

JR

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 25, 2008 16:24

Is Shirley Arnold the same Shirley who worked for Ron Wood/The Faces and was celebrated in the great song Shirley on Ronnie's I've Got My Own Album To Do?

Date: July 25, 2008 16:27

JR, which are the other 2 singles without London logo?

Date: July 25, 2008 16:32

By the way, which photographer took this amazing shot in Central Park. And does anyone know where I can see more of the shoot?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-25 16:32 by Silver Dagger.

Date: July 25, 2008 16:38

Guy Webster, 7 December 1965.
Not sure about Central Park.

infact: they were in Hollywood that day; should be somewhere in california. On the web if you make a search for Guy Webster you should find lot of pix of the same sessions andof the Aftermath cover.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-25 16:46 by straycat58.

Date: July 25, 2008 16:50

Was this not the same session that produced one of the cover photos on the American version of High Tide And Green Grass?

Date: July 25, 2008 17:05

Thanks straycat58, it's the same guy.

All these amazing photos by Guy Webster.

Date: July 25, 2008 17:58

Correct. It's the HTAGG cover versions.
He also made the Aftermath one.

Date: July 25, 2008 18:10

Th other two are Lets Spend the Night Together and Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, Standing in the Shadows. PIB is the turns up occasionally, but these two are REALLY hard to find.

JR

Date: July 25, 2008 18:14

I always thought Jerry Schatzberg took the Aftermath cover photos.

Date: July 26, 2008 00:42

Here you find the aftermath session.

[www.guywebster.com]

P.S.: Tks JR, didn't really know about these covers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-07-26 00:44 by straycat58.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 26, 2008 11:25

Silver Dagger
I always thought Jerry Schatzberg took the Aftermath cover photos.

Jerry took the photos on the back of the Aftermath album. Art Kane took the photo for the front of the US album, Guy Webster the UK album.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1804
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home