Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stoned - The Brian Jones Story
Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: December 22, 2009 21:53

This is the best film ever documentary about the Stones. Really blows the lid off the Mick-Brian rivalry. No wonder Mick did everything to try to suppress this movie!

Re: Stoned - The Brian Jones Story
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 22, 2009 21:55

interesting soundtrack as well.

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: December 22, 2009 21:59

Disagree.

The movie was ok. It was fun to see the members of the Stones here and there. But it's a little bit overblown, and over-dramatic. But it's ok to watch.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 22, 2009 22:03

I thought it was terrible. Very lame.

Glad I only rented it.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: December 22, 2009 22:07

I don't like it that much.

Date: December 22, 2009 22:12

It was a very good movie for its rather low budget. Mick refused to let them use original Rolling Stones tracks, so they had to use cover versions. I think Brian comes over as being sort of a jerk in the movie, but I think it is accurate.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 22, 2009 22:17

I think the film is a load of fu***ng s**t!!! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: December 22, 2009 22:25

I am rather surprised to read the comments about Mick trying to suppress this film or refusing to allow Stones songs to be used. I was involved in the PR for some early showings of the film at which Stephen Wooley spoke and my recollection is that he told us it was an artistic decision not to use any of the Jagger/Richards music of the period in order to underpin Jones decisive influence on the Stones early musical direction before the Jagger/Richards songwriting partnership flourished. Similarly, there was no suggestion that Mick had in any way hindered production, although there were legal issues surrounding the portrayal of the investigation into Jones' death - in particular, the film could not be made until a certain party had died.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 22, 2009 22:27

I'll say what I always say when a discussion of this movie comes up:

they may have understood Brian Pretty well, but not the rest of the band. during the scene where he's fired mick and keith shake his hand but Charlie doesn't. He just looks at him and walks away. It makes him look immature and sheepish. I wasn't there so I can't say for sure but I have a hard time believing charlie would act like that. Furthermore he and bill were the only band members to go to Brian's funeral. They didn't bother to show that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-22 22:37 by ryanpow.

Date: December 22, 2009 22:32

I had read in a couple of places that they wanted the original versions of the songs. Why would they want to go to the time and trouble of making inferior cover versions. Mick certainly never cooperated at all with the film-makers, nor would I have expected him to. What was in it for Mick to do so?

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: December 22, 2009 22:34

I found it a good flick.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 22, 2009 22:40

overall, I thought it was interesting. Not great but worth seeing once if your a fan. It puts together a picture of what this man may have been like in the latter part of his life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-22 22:54 by ryanpow.

Date: December 22, 2009 22:45

mitchflorida
I had read in a couple of places that they wanted the original versions of the songs. Why would they want to go to the time and trouble of making inferior cover versions. Mick certainly never cooperated at all with the film-makers, nor would I have expected him to. What was in it for Mick to do so?

Well, I can only say I'd be interested to see the source of this information. Again, from recollection, Woolley explained that very little of the music on the soundtrack is material the Stones recorded (there is a lot of Jefferson Airplane stuff because Brian liked it) and none is written by Jagger/Richards for the reasons I mentioned. There are, of course, issues with Decca in using early Stones material which may have been the reason for the White Stripes covering 'Time'. I know Woolley said he did not want to use later versions of the Stones recording 'Time' post Jones death, so there obviously wasn't a problem with lack of consent to using more recent versions.
I don't think Mick or any of the others would have been asked to 'cooperate', although Woolley did say they had been sent copies of the film. The film centres on the period leading to Brian's death and is based on a book written before Thoroughgood's death and Woolley's own conversations with Anna Wohlen and Janet Lawson, not any imput from the Stones. Do you have any source for the suggestion that Mick tried to suppress the film?

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: December 23, 2009 02:38

I thought that it was an ok movie. But I don't believe that this is the truth. Frankly as a Jones/Stones-fan I don't think that it made Brian or the band any justice. But then Brian Jones is probably among the hardest persons to play as an actor because he was so complex. So I do believe that they did the best the could.
It also bugged me big time that Charlie didn't shake Brian's hand when they fired him. Charlie got closer to Brian in the end - why wouldn't he shake his hand while Mick - the one who probably disliked Brian the most did it!?

I'd rather recommend the book that this film is based on "Who Killed Christopher Robin" by Terry Rawlings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-23 02:41 by tonterapi.

Posted by: boogie1969 ()
Date: December 23, 2009 03:02

overall, I thought it was interesting. Not great but worth seeing once if your a fan. It puts together a picture of what this man may have been like in the latter part of his life.

Exactly how I feel. Decent enough to watch once, especially if your a fan, but nothing to write home about. Whenever I watch a film like this, a dramatization of a real life event, I can't help but think how do they know this is what happened. Even if a lot of research is done, I can't help but think a lot of it must be bull-shit, especially the conversations. How do they know what was said, they weren't there. I know that's what makes it a dramatization, but it still keeps me from taking it as serious fact, which this film is supposed to be, at least to some degree because of the book it's based on.

Posted by: squando ()
Date: December 23, 2009 04:56

I think the movie was a snore but as already mentioned the book "Who Killed Christopher Robin" I thought was excellent. "Piant it black" re the same subject was very good too.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: December 23, 2009 05:09

Like already said, - the film was nice to watch and gives some insight in Brian's complex character but no sensation.

Regarding those 2 books. I thought they both had nice parts but also VERY doubtful chapter!

Date: December 23, 2009 05:22

It does show the rather nasty side of Brian Jones, and that is what I had heard about him from the rest of the Rolling Stones. Of course, Keith and Mick aren't exactly angels or philanthropists either.

Moral of the story: You can be a great musician but also be a bit of an a-hole.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: December 23, 2009 14:38

CousinC
Regarding those 2 books. I thought they both had nice parts but also VERY doubtful chapter!
I totally agree. The big problem is that Brian wasn't around long enough to give us his side so all we can rely on is books, stories about him from people who knew him and interviews with him. Therefor we will probably never get the full picture of him and that is sad.

mitchflorida
It does show the rather nasty side of Brian Jones, and that is what I had heard about him from the rest of the Rolling Stones.
It does and that's the problem. They don't deal much with the circumstances around his behaviour. Brian had psychological problems, drug problems and a sad background. He didn't act like an a-hole just because he was a bad person. The drugs really made him horrible because they exaggerated all that shit. The movie just deal with him being paranoid and on drugs.

Regarding the Rolling Stones (or Mick and Keith mostly) version of Brian there is a problem with that they never tell much about how they acted towards Brian. They keep blaming Brian for all the problems and all we get in the end is this nasty, horrible, envy drug addict that couldn't deal with loosing the band to them. While some of this is true it's not the whole truth. Thankfully there are other testimonials about Brian as well and they give us a person instead of a monster. They also tell what Mick and Keith did towards Brian and that is a horrible story. I think that's why they don't have anything nice to say about him today - they know what they did and feel pretty bad about the whole thing.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: December 23, 2009 15:49

Would like to see it !

Does someone knows if it's available on DVD or Torrents and if so, is there some subtitles?

HMN

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: December 23, 2009 16:23

History is written by the winners...or those alive in this case.

Date: December 23, 2009 18:12

Mick and Keith kept on Charlie and Bill Wyman long after they had to. They seem to be relatively loyal to their bandmates.

We have documentary film of Brian constantly showing up to performances and in the studio completely shit-faced stoned. He had also 5 children by five different women, starting from when he was in his early 20s.

My favorite part of the movie so far is when Brian makes the laborers build a brick wall, has them move it to the other side of his property, and then tells them to move it back to where it was originally! lol

(P.S. The DVD is available for about $3 on Amazon.) [www.amazon.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-23 18:18 by mitchflorida.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 23, 2009 18:30

interesting to imagine the Jones Family Tree, per Brian!

Date: December 23, 2009 18:33

mitchflorida

We have documentary film of Brian constantly showing up to performances and in the studio completely shit-faced stoned.

No we don't! A short clip of Brian looking out of it in the We Love You promo and his rather shocking appearance in the Rock and Roll Circus is all there really is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-23 20:05 by His Majesty.

Date: December 23, 2009 18:37

What was so shocking about it?

How many times can a performer show up stoned at a filming before he has to be cashiered? They ended up tossing the movie in the trash , didn't they?

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 23, 2009 18:45

mitchflorida
We have documentary film of Brian constantly showing up to performances and in the studio completely shit-faced stoned.

we do? where? It can't be this film, which is not a "documentary" in the accepted sense.

Date: December 23, 2009 20:08

mitchflorida

How many times can a performer show up stoned at a filming before he has to be cashiered? They ended up tossing the movie in the trash , didn't they?

He looks a lil bit zonked when they pan along the band during Salt of the Earth, but anyway there isn't multiple instances caught on film like you claimed.

Date: December 23, 2009 21:28

His Majesty
mitchflorida

He looks a lil bit zonked when they pan along the band during Salt of the Earth, but anyway there isn't multiple instances caught on film like you claimed.

Nor do we have any source supplied for the same party's claim that "Mick tried to do everything to suppress this move". Methinks the p*ss is being taken!

Date: December 23, 2009 22:26

Did Mick Jagger come to the London Premiere of "Stoned"? Of course not.

Did Mick Jagger allow the director to use any of the Rolling Stones orignal songs, or even one song written by Jagger/Richards? No again.

The Director did a good job under the circumstances, but he is telling you a line when he says that he never wanted the original songs in his movie. It would have made Stoned a smash, and a lot of film critics complained about it in their reviews.

Nuff said.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 23, 2009 22:39

Just to put the record straight: Jagger is not in the position to deny the use of '63 to '70 Stones songs as he does not own the publishing rights. ABKCO/Klein holds the rights, and they did not allow any songs the used in this movie.

Mathijs

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1617
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home