Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: Chuck Leavell - "Fingers Of Gold" Says Keith
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 4, 2012 18:48

Chuck does a great job covering Skip James on his new CD.

"If You Haven't Any Hay" is fantastic...

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: August 4, 2012 19:17

StonesTod
you don't think about rocknroll...even if you can....

Obviously..........

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 4, 2012 19:29

Mathijs
Naturalust

Furthermore, Keith has always been the musical leader and if he says Chuck has golden fingers who can argue? peace

Well, we can argue, especially since 98% of what Richards says since the early 90's is utter bull crap.

Mathijs

Well, at least he still rather looks the part. peace

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 4, 2012 21:32

StonesTod
tomorrow, hansie gets a kiss....

Get a room, please...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 4, 2012 21:54

71Tele
StonesTod

Get a room, please...

does a open, public display of affection embarrass you, tele? i can only imagine what must've gone down in your childhood....

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: August 4, 2012 23:48

Gold fingers on ya!

Date: August 5, 2012 07:53

1cdog
StonesTod
you don't think about rocknroll...even if you can....

Obviously..........

Surely...

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: August 5, 2012 22:13

As a non musician I can't really criticise how good of a player Chuck actually is, but from a non musician perspective I just don't like the sound he brings to certain pieces. Whether he's ordered to do it by Jagger or not. I would prefer to hear the songs played on a real piano like Stu used rather than keyboards. It gives the songs a more warm, rock and roll feel. Keyboards sound dated and very vegas. Maybe I'm wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-05 22:14 by iamthedj.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 5, 2012 22:15

I think that Keith is probably the one that truly has Fingers of Gold, in that their probably quite stiff.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 5, 2012 22:23

treaclefingers
I think that Keith is probably the one that truly has Fingers of Gold, in that their probably quite stiff.

ouch...reminds me somehow of Stiff Little Fingers,treaclefingers...

Date: August 5, 2012 22:28

shortfatfanny
treaclefingers

I actually feel badly for the guy, as his fingers are his livelihood and have not doubt contributed to the 'delays' in getting things going for the tour.

Date: August 5, 2012 22:34

iamthedj
As a non musician I can't really criticise how good of a player Chuck actually is, but from a non musician perspective I just don't like the sound he brings to certain pieces.

Well there you go. Absolutely normal. Somewhere somehow you know enough based strictly on what you hear. One of the problems with musican types is to not be biased. Can you hear it with a untamed ear? It can be a constant argument.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 5, 2012 22:43

treaclefingers
shortfatfanny
treaclefingers

I actually feel badly for the guy, as his fingers are his livelihood and have not doubt contributed to the 'delays' in getting things going for the tour.

so do I,treacle...

Date: August 6, 2012 03:11

shortfatfanny
treaclefingers
shortfatfanny
treaclefingers

so do I,treacle...

but that doesn't mean we can't have fun at his expense. As long as we don't slag each other, right?!

Date: August 6, 2012 03:13

treaclefingers
shortfatfanny
treaclefingers
shortfatfanny
treaclefingers

so do I,treacle...

but that doesn't mean we can't have fun at his expense.

you got that right. the guy is rich as sin. charge it to him!

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: August 6, 2012 03:30

..i believe i read somewhere that charlie watts said darryl jones had "buttocks of aluminum'.....also heard a rumor about bobby keys 'coccyx of titanium'.....

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 7, 2012 20:26

I think Chuck Leavell plays beautifully on this one. Yes, he looks out of place with the rest of Mayer's band, but then I think he always looks exactly like what he is, a fine old southern gentleman.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 7, 2012 22:10

latebloomer
a fine old southern gentleman.

And a great musician

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 8, 2012 00:04

gimme_shelter

They finally fell out?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 8, 2012 01:21

StonesTod
71Tele
StonesTod

Get a room, please...

does a open, public display of affection embarrass you, tele? i can only imagine what must've gone down in your childhood....

You seem to spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about me, my feelings, my childhood, etc. Oops, I see our time is up. We have to stop now. We've made some good progress today. Let's continue next week.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: August 8, 2012 09:16

I cannot call myself a fan of Chuck. His playing sounds like being at a bar getting drunk and lose and trying to get attention of the tender. What gets me is his importance to lead the bar in the show. But without that lead in the beat the Stones would get lost in their own songs.grinning smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 8, 2012 12:19

The Chuck-bashing strikes back again, after some rather calm years...

Like (boring) sociologists say the problem is structural - Chuck is there a hired hand who does his job as his bosses wish him to do. The problem is not Chuck, it is the whole structure. (Sometimes I also feel that Ronnie Wood also is a 'victim' of this structure; one cannot really judge his musicianship and potentiality barely looking at 'modern' Rolling Stones shows.)

So the deal is is: if you want 'Vegas' Stones, you need to have Chuck - or someone similar like him - on board. The show cannot go on without him. Unfortunately, at least from teh experience of some deacades now, we don't have an alternative for that - it is Vegas Stones or no Stones...

Anyway, this is most likely just talk of past (1989-2007), and I think rather old news.

- Doxa

Date: August 8, 2012 12:25

Doxa
The Chuck-bashing strikes back again, after some rather calm years...

Like (boring) sociologists say the problem is structural - Chuck is there a hired hand who does his job as his bosses wish him to do. The problem is not Chuck, it is the whole structure. (Sometimes I also feel that Ronnie Wood also is a 'victim' of this structure; one cannot really judge his musicianship and potentiality barely looking at 'modern' Rolling Stones shows.)

So the deal is is: if you want 'Vegas' Stones, you need to have Chuck - or someone similar like him - on board. The show cannot go on without him. Unfortunately, at least from teh experience of some deacades now, we don't have an alternative for that - it is Vegas Stones or no Stones...

Anyway, this is most likely just talk of past (1989-2007), and I think rather old news.

- Doxa

Sure?

Date: August 8, 2012 12:31

Besides, comparing Chuck head to head to Stu, Nicky, Billy, Ian or whoever there was in the glory past is rather unjust. The whole 'core' band into where those guys were adding their contribution to was strikingly different. I guess Chuck could also play like Stu or Nicky if the guitarit(s) would do their job like they used to do. Chuck has a rather fundamental role within the band no other piano/keyboard player ever had (who actually really were just sidemen juicing and fattening the sound with their own distinguished touch, but never 'directing' it, or even dared thinking of stepping to Keith's shoes).

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-08 12:33 by Doxa.

Date: August 8, 2012 12:38

Dandie, that's not *Vegas stones'... it is some odd archaic raw prototype of that, which is created to promote a Vegas Stones tour... But it funnily reminds us of the little rock and roll band that used to exist a long ago... Of course, even they didn't take it seriously, but just had fun with the idea...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-08 12:40 by Doxa.

Date: August 8, 2012 12:40

Doxa
Dandie, that's not *Vegas stones'... it is some odd archaic raw prototype of that, which is created to promote a Vegas Stones tour... But it funnily reminds us of the little rock and roll band that used to exist a long ago... Of course, even they didn't take it seriously, but just had fun with the idea...

- Doxa

thumbs up

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 8, 2012 14:15

Doxa
Besides, comparing Chuck head to head to Stu, Nicky, Billy, Ian or whoever there was in the glory past is rather unjust. The whole 'core' band into where those guys were adding their contribution to was strikingly different. I guess Chuck could also play like Stu or Nicky if the guitarit(s) would do their job like they used to do. Chuck has a rather fundamental role within the band no other piano/keyboard player ever had (who actually really were just sidemen juicing and fattening the sound with their own distinguished touch, but never 'directing' it, or even dared thinking of stepping to Keith's shoes).
- Doxa

I think that's very right plus what you said about the whole Vegas concept.
We like the other players better cause it was another band.

Date: August 8, 2012 16:26

CousinC

and to your point, i don't recall folks bashing chuck's playing on the '82 european tour

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 8, 2012 16:39

Looks like we are giving Chuck the blame for the fact that Keith and Ronnie don't deliver anymore. It's like the coach who constantly blames the ref for his team losing again. It's easier...
In fact the only two that have delivered at a constant level in the Stones are Charlie and Bill. And Charlie is the only one left. Mick has also delivered but his voice has let him down...

Date: August 8, 2012 16:40

StonesTod
CousinC

and to your point, i don't recall folks bashing chuck's playing on the '82 european tour

he was bloody good on that one he was.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2096
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home