Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Track Talk: Live With Me
Posted by: René ()
Date: July 30, 2012 16:34

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

Live With Me
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

Olympic Sound Studios, London, UK, May 24, 1969 and
Sunset Sound Studios, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, US, November 2, 1969

Mick Jagger - lead vocals
Keith Richards - electric guitar, bass, harmony vocals
Charlie Watts - drums
Mick Taylor - electric guitar
Bobby Keys - saxophone
Nicky Hopkins - piano
Leon Russell - piano

I got nasty habits, I take tea at three
Yes, and the meat I eat for dinner must be hung up for a week
My best friend he shoots water rats and feeds them to his geese
Doncha think there's a place for you in between the sheets?

Come now, honey, we can build a place for three, yeah
Come on now, honey, don't ya wanna live with me?

There's a score of hare-brained children, they're all locked in the nursery
They got earphone heads, they got dirty necks, they're so 20th century
Well, they cue up for the bathroom 'round about 7:35
Don't ya think we need a womans touch to make it come alive?

You'd look good pram pushing down the high street, yeah
Come on now, honey, doncha wanna live with me?

Oh, the servants they're so helpful, dear, the cook she is a whore
Yes, the butler has a place for her behind the pantry door
The maid, she's French, she's got no sense, she's from the Crazy Horse
And when she strips, the chauffeur flips, the footman's eyes be crossed

Oh, don'cha think there's a place for us right across the street
Don't ya think there's a place for you in between the sheets?

Produced by Jimmy Miller

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Let It Bleed” LP
(London NPS-4) US, November 29, 1969

Re: Track Talk: Live With Me
Posted by: neptune ()
Date: July 30, 2012 17:20

I love the sound/tone from Keith's guitar. The song marked a new era in the Stones' music with the intro of Bobby Keys on sax. It was party time!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 30, 2012 17:31

woulda been nicer if we'd had billy "swingtime" wyman on bass...the song doesn't have near the swagger and swing of the live versions with bill...

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 30, 2012 17:58

a complete Stones romp

I love this song, always have.

the 'nasty habits' lyric..that intro bassline..Keith's backing vocals..

that sax from Bobby, his first on a Stones track...

this song is so much fun to listen to (and to play!)

Ilove that bassline, and Charlie jumping in on it omg

grinning smileysmoking smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 30, 2012 18:33

Absolutely brilliant lyrics here that helped further the image of the Stones as bad boys from the other side of the tracks.

Instead of leading off the song with a great guitar riff Keith proves his versatility here by switching to a killer bass intro and don't those notes just tatoo themselves to your brain. Boom-boom, boom-boom-boom, boom-boom-boom-boom-boom-boom.

The song drips with sleaze from the first note to the last glorious final Bobby Keys sax fade out. A classic.

In fact the more I hear Let It Bleed the more I realise it really is the Stones materpiece and all time best album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-30 21:19 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 30, 2012 20:05

Probably the first time I was aware of the bass as an instrument. The Stones were much more adventurous and upfront with the bass than most other groups.

That being said, Bill's bass on the Get Yer Yas Yas Out 'Live With Me' is mindblowing.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 30, 2012 20:27

anyone else hear some of the outtake "can't believe it" in this song...like the bassline?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-30 20:28 by StonesTod.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 30, 2012 22:48

In Tony Sanchez's book, he mentions how they were at Redlands and he shot some rats in the water. Mick then started saying my friend shoots waterrats.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: July 31, 2012 03:34

Wow, one of the greatest rock and roll tracks ever recorded, and yet there are only eight comments in this thread!!

Silver Dagger, you nailed it perfectly. Keith's opening bass-line just tattoos itself on your brain. Then Charlie seizing that groove and running with it ... the duke summed it up perfectly: OMG! I mean, rock and roll drumming doesn't get any better than this, folks. Jagger strutting and spitting out confessions of his nasty habits and raunchy come-ons to the object of his lust, perfectly timed to Keith's searing riffs and some gloriously sleazy bar-room piano. And then, the crowning touch: Bobby Keys, blowing harder than a $5 hooker.

Another brilliant production by Jimmy Miller, with Charlie right up-front in the mix, where he belongs.

A stunning tour de force from what is arguably their greatest album of all.

Drew

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-08-01 13:56 by drewmaster.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 31, 2012 04:47

drewmaster
Wow, one of the greatest rock and roll tracks ever recorded, and yet there are only eight comments in this thread!!

Drew

They're all too busy arguing about Ted Nugent!

Here's a live one for StonesTod: stripped-down and spare and springy. Oakland 1969 first show. They tried to do it again at the second show, but Keith blew an amp...

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 31, 2012 05:24

So true Green Lady! Great comment.

Live with Me is pure Stone's sleeze. A slinky propulsive explosion of decadence and defiance. "We are not old men. We are not worried about petty morals..." The song starts with a thundering stax soul bass that seems to lock into the rhythm of your heart and the the staticco guitar grabs for the juggular, and then Mick deleariously drawls about having nasty habbits, and you know you on a new rock and roll ride. Charlie punches the song forward and gets more forcefull after every one of Keith's licks. And then you are slammed in the face by Bobby, unlike any other stones song before it. A rollicking nod to the fifties, but a new type of beast that would redefine the Stones swagger to cocktail devils hoovering in jackboots and ridding crops. A Stones classic.

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: July 31, 2012 05:34

I had heard all the songs on Let it bleed that were on Hot Rocks. So when a friend of mine from school asked if I wanted to trade Zepplin 4 for "The Birthday Cake Album" (His words) I was not so sure but reluctantly agreed.

So I played side one.....

Gimmy Shelter.....Already knew it from hot rocks

Love in vain......Too slow did not make a great first impression. Of course I came to love it years later.

Country Honk......WTF? It really wierded me out. Another one I did not like at first. At this point I kicking my self for trading away Zep 4.

Live with me......From the opening base line to Charlies beat to the opening guitar......It was like I hit oil. The world was suddenly a good place to live in again. I must have listed to it 1000 times over the years. I hope I live long enough to listen to another 1000!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 31, 2012 06:02

Great playing from all, but it's an empty vessel when it comes to meaning or emotion. The lyrics are crap, just trying too hard.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 31, 2012 06:24

For me it lacks the little licks in the background that Keith injects so well in so many first-rate Stones songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-31 06:27 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 31, 2012 09:11

His Majesty
Great playing from all, but it's an empty vessel when it comes to meaning or emotion. The lyrics are crap, just trying too hard.

Er, no, Jagger's inspiration is not Baudelaire. It is what it is, a fantastic, classic Stones rocker you can shout along with.

Mathijs

Date: July 31, 2012 09:14

Mathijs
His Majesty

Er, no, Jagger's inspiration is not Baudelaire. It is what it is, a fantastic, classic Stones rocker you can shout along with.

Mathijs

Happy shouting.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 31, 2012 12:07

MisterO

Live with me......From the opening base line to Charlies beat to the opening guitar......It was like I hit oil.

The song gets a bit too much after a while but yes, the intro is one of the best by anyone. Let it bleed is of course their best album. Or is Exile the one. No, Let it bleed is the great No 1.

Date: July 31, 2012 12:25

Let us not overlook the heavy piano by Leon Russell

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 31, 2012 13:29

My goodness, I can't believe those who don't see the light of Live with Me?? Whew! One of the most perfect rock songs ever done. And hell yeah! Leon is great!

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: July 31, 2012 13:42

I just don't know what to say about this song. This just pure and perfect R&R. The essence of everything.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: July 31, 2012 13:48

KeithNacho
The essence of everything.

Well said!!

Drew

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: July 31, 2012 18:11

A zany romp through a sex-obsessed English household. The song is part tease, part parody of a rock star's perceived decadent life style. Perfect subject matter for Jagger's mind. I enjoy the snarling guitars of the '69 tour, but have always wondered why they kept the abrupt conclusion. It's always felt awkward to me.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: July 31, 2012 18:20

I can't believe they were still working on the LIB album in November!

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: July 31, 2012 18:45

I just like everything about this song. Lyrics are great and I love this reference to Keith

Date: July 31, 2012 18:51

Silver Dagger
Absolutely brilliant lyrics here that helped further the image of the Stones as bad boys from the other side of the tracks.

Instead of leading off the song with a great guitar riff Keith proves his versatility here by switching to a killer bass intro and don't those notes just tatoo themselves to your brain. Boom-boom, boom-boom-boom, boom-boom-boom-boom-boom-boom.

The song drips with sleaze from the first note to the last glorious final Bobby Keys sax fade out. A classic.

In fact the more I hear Let It Bleed the more I realise it really is the Stones materpiece and all time best album.

I agree. Mostly. Only that it's between LIB and SF. Sometimes I think Sticky Fingers is their best but I can never pinpoint why. They're both their best album. However, in terms of their growth, Let It Bleed is the pinnacle. It's the sunrise. Sticky Fingers is the second half of that, the sunset.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 31, 2012 18:56

First song I loved on the album...the rest I grew into.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: July 31, 2012 21:28

The essence of the Stones - raucous, rowdy and rude. Love it!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 31, 2012 22:05

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Silver Dagger

I agree. Mostly. Only that it's between LIB and SF. Sometimes I think Sticky Fingers is their best but I can never pinpoint why. They're both their best album. However, in terms of their growth, Let It Bleed is the pinnacle. It's the sunrise. Sticky Fingers is the second half of that, the sunset.

Date: July 31, 2012 22:43

Beggars Banquet is the pinnacle.

Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers are less interesting variations of the formula laid down on Beggars Banquet.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 31, 2012 22:50

His Majesty

Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers are less interesting variations of the formula laid down on Beggars Banquet.

I quite disagree. BB is much more of a roots album, with dark, country flavoured blues and bluesrock. LIB and SF are much more classic rock albums -harder, louder, more straight forward, and the country songs are much more tonge-in-cheek and a bit over the top. Exile,to me, is the combination -or variation as you say- of BB, LIB and SF.

Mathijs

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1982
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home