Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Gimme Shelter tops BBC listener poll
Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 27, 2012 19:51

BBC press release just out now:

Gimme Shelter tops BBC Radio 6 Music listener poll
of favourite Rolling Stones tracks

A BBC Radio 6 Music online poll has revealed that Gimme Shelter is the listeners’ favourite Rolling Stones track.

The vote was launched on Sunday 8th July as part of BBC 6 Music Celebrates 50 Years of The Rolling Stones, giving listeners the opportunity to vote for their all-time favourite Rolling Stones track.

Gimme Shelter, which was never released as a single, first appeared as the opening track on the band's 1969 album Let It Bleed. The Stones first played the song live on a TV special, Pop Go The Sixties, on New Year’s Eve in 1969.

BBC Radio 6 Music, which won UK station of the year at the Sony Radio Academy Awards in May, compiled a list of 50 tracks and listeners chose their favoured track. The top six tracks were revealed on Steve Lamacq’s 6 Music afternoon show (1600-1900). The top ten tracks are:

1. Gimme Shelter.
2. Sympathy for the Devil
3. Paint It Black
4. You Can’t Always Get What You Want
5. Jumpin’ Jack Flash
6. Brown Sugar
7. Wild Horses
8. (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction
9. Tumblin’ Dice
10. Honky Tonk Women

James Stirling, Head of Programmes, BBC Radio 6 Music says: “It’s hard to pick one song from an enormous back catalogue of such quality – but the BBC Radio 6 Music listeners have done a splendid job. Gimme Shelter opens the Rolling Stones’ final album of the sixties, but still sounds as emotive and powerful on the radio today.”

Bjornulf

Re: Gimme Shelter tops BBC listener poll
Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 27, 2012 19:57

This result is in tune with the IORR fan club voting in 2008, where thousands of IORR fans voted Ginmme Shelter as the best song ever. See the results of the IORR poll in 2008 here:

[www.iorr.org]

The most popular Rolling Stones songs

1 Gimme Shelter 12%
2 Jumping Jack Flash 7%
3 Brown Sugar 4%

We want Gimme Shelter live on the next tour! And Street Fighting Man. Please, Keith? Thanks!

Bjornulf

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: July 27, 2012 20:35

So do I.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 27, 2012 21:32

Great list I didn't expected TD and I miss an old song like It's all Over Now.

8 out of 10 are from their golden years.............

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 28, 2012 02:35

GIMME SHELTER is the one song I've played in my car with friends-who-aren't-Stones-fans aboard where some have said, "I love this song."

Keith once referred to HONKY TONK WOMEN as a song that "crosses borders." I'd put GIMME SHELTER in that same category.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 28, 2012 11:56

Thank God Start Me Up didn't make the top 10.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 28, 2012 14:45

A good list, though I miss Sway in it. And several others. But it certainly could have been worse.

Gimme Shelter is a right choice:

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 28, 2012 15:55

Gimme Shelter is good choice, it's for the studio version obviously. winking smiley

Date: July 28, 2012 16:04

Silver Dagger
Thank God Start Me Up didn't make the top 10.

Thank the voters.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 28, 2012 16:09

gimme shelter almost always wins, unless it's street fighting man....speaking of which...did the po' poor find something else to do or something?

Date: July 28, 2012 17:49

His Majesty
Gimme Shelter is good choice, it's for the studio version obviously. winking smiley

Most people only know the studio version, which has a marvellous beginning but later on tends to be repetitive and a bit boring, just like the studio version of YCAGWYW. Poor people who never heard a live Shelter from the 72 or 73 tour, being present themselves. They missed something great.

Gimme Shelter from the Taylor era is also the best live song ever.

Date: July 28, 2012 18:02

Most exited live version is this ....no discussing.................they all on fire

And Kleremaker Kleermaker the Studio version never bore ( grinning smiley )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-28 19:54 by NICOS.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: July 28, 2012 19:39

How many voters ?

Date: July 28, 2012 20:05

kleermaker
His Majesty

Most people only know the studio version, which has a marvellous beginning but later on tends to be repetitive and a bit boring, just like the studio version of YCAGWYW. Poor people who never heard a live Shelter from the 72 or 73 tour, being present themselves. They missed something great.

Gimme Shelter from the Taylor era is also the best live song ever.

So much wrongness in your post. smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 28, 2012 20:23

His Majesty

I couldn't agree more. The guitar takes and mixes there were never repeated with the same effect, no matter how many times Keith listened to it and tried re-create it. peace

Date: July 28, 2012 20:27

bv
This result is in tune with the IORR fan club voting in 2008, where thousands of IORR fans voted Ginmme Shelter as the best song ever. See the results of the IORR poll in 2008 here:

[www.iorr.org]

The most popular Rolling Stones songs

1 Gimme Shelter 12%
2 Jumping Jack Flash 7%
3 Brown Sugar 4%

We want Gimme Shelter live on the next tour! And Street Fighting Man. Please, Keith? Thanks!

Poll from 2008 I wander if there are 70+ by now grinning smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 28, 2012 20:46

I wouldn't mind Gimme Shelter in the set. Later on it was always a good opportunity to size Ms Fischer up (as a bonus). But Kleermaker is on the button here: It's the studio version that gets all the admiration. Certainly not the live versions.

Date: July 28, 2012 21:09

Naturalust
His Majesty

I couldn't agree more. The guitar takes and mixes there were never repeated with the same effect, no matter how many times Keith listened to it and tried re-create it. peace

Englishmen who emigrate to America raise the IQ of both countries.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: July 28, 2012 23:29

This doesn't sound like Bill's playing, it sounds like Keith's leaner, twangy, pick-plucking bass style heard on Sympathy For The Devil and Street Fighting Man. Perhaps Keith erased Bill's parts and dubbed his own onto the track, as he was so fond of doing at that time?

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: July 28, 2012 23:30

Date: July 28, 2012 23:35

stonesnow
This doesn't sound like Bill's playing, it sounds like Keith's leaner, twangy, pick-plucking bass style heard on Sympathy For The Devil and Street Fighting Man. Perhaps Keith erased Bill's parts and dubbed his own onto the track, as he was so fond of doing at that time?

Bill often played like this in 60's.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 29, 2012 00:36

Although it doesn't sound like a typical Bill bass line. I don't find the bass on the studio version to be all that dynamic, like I'd expect out of Bill.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 29, 2012 00:38

A current BBC trailer for Eastenders forecasts a coming storm because of the return of one of the characters. The song used throughout is.... Gimme Shelter.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 29, 2012 01:12

VT22
Naturalust
His Majesty

Englishmen who emigrate to America raise the IQ of both countries.

Ok VT22 lay a version on me that appeals to your higher intellect, dumb down for me, I can handle it. The birds do it for me all the time. peace

Date: July 29, 2012 02:26

I never heard the Stones try to re-create their studio sound on stage, that was never their goal. You don't need a higher intellect to notice that. Go ask the birds.

Posted by: normanplace ()
Date: July 29, 2012 17:00

Great list but for my money JJF is the greatest rock and roll song of all time by anyone. It's got it all going on. Riff lyrics rhythm. Great end of sixties and hell to the seventies piece. Play it loud.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 29, 2012 17:08

normanplace
Great list but for my money JJF is the greatest rock and roll song of all time by anyone.

just out of curiosity...exactly how much money do you have?

Date: July 29, 2012 17:19

StonesTod
normanplace
Great list but for my money JJF is the greatest rock and roll song of all time by anyone.

just out of curiosity...exactly how much money do you have?

grinning smiley

Date: July 30, 2012 01:12

The dangerous atmosphere on the studio version makes it greater than all the live versions combined. Simply amazing and unsurpassable, imo. Some of the most effective guitar playing ever.

Date: July 30, 2012 16:56

DandelionPowderman
The dangerous atmosphere on the studio version makes it greater than all the live versions combined. Simply amazing and unsurpassable, imo. Some of the most effective guitar playing ever.

To me it has something artificial, and something of a parody as well, especially when the female singer comes in. It's like a play, not real. When they perform it on stage, we simply know it's not real. It has also some sort of message in it which actually is very strange.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2024
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home