Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: If you could travel back in time, which year in the Stones career would you pick?
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 27, 2012 17:03

2011. i hate long trips.

Re: If you could travel back in time, which year in the Stones career would you pick?
Date: July 27, 2012 17:18

I think 1965...

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: July 27, 2012 17:27

1967---I like to go to Redlands and check out what was really was under the rug! haha..

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 27, 2012 17:29

1969. Waiting for Let It Bleed and a tour.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 27, 2012 17:31

The year they were at the top: 1972

Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: July 27, 2012 17:46

Another vote for 1965. I'd love to be able to see Brian in the band and still at his peak.

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: July 27, 2012 18:07

I love the '72 tour, but '69 would be the year. No.1 single in HTW and No.1 album in Let It Bleed. Great tour with a couple of free shows. The scene really changed for them and everybody after '69. Not for the worse or better, but definitely different.

Date: July 27, 2012 19:17

right at the start; the early club gigs; checkin out keith's (and brian's) chops on guitar; i still cant tell who the hell plays what on those old earliest songs!!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 27, 2012 19:26

1963 for me - though I may take a detour on the way home to see the Winos live. Or maybe I'll just come home the long way.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: July 27, 2012 21:18

i dunno pf, those time-travel machines never seem to work right.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 27, 2012 21:20

Green Lady
1963 for me - though I may take a detour on the way home to see the Winos live. Or maybe I'll just come home the long way.

Exactly the same for me, can we travel together Green Lady? I've always been bad at directions, but I am a good packer. I'll bring the snacks.

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: July 27, 2012 21:28

You could bring with you their futur instrumentals version to know what they are thinking of! Back in the past should be a great bordel!

Posted by: melvin ()
Date: July 27, 2012 22:31

1965-66, with Brian.

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: July 27, 2012 23:29

Just before they settled on Charlie ...
Give me my shot!

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: peter wilson ()
Date: July 28, 2012 01:35

New Brighton Tower Ballroom gig in August 1964 - our house was a 10 minute walk from the venue, but I was only 8 years old at the time. Missed that one. Drat !!

Here below is a quote that I found on the 'Net from a policeman who was there. Although Bill's book 'Stone Alone' (page 252) has a different scenario:

"I lived in Wallasey from 1937 to 1966. I was a frequent visitor to the Tower on Fridays and Saturdays in the 50's dancing to the music of Bill Gregson's band in the days before I joined the Army. As a member of the Wallasey Police I was part of the security for the Beatles and also the Stones. As our Superintendent of the day said, there will be no riots because of the Rolling Stones while they are in Wallasey, and sure enough the crowds were no problem."

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: July 28, 2012 01:54

1969 and US Tour. If it's only a 24h visit I'd surely go to 28th November to see both MSG gigs.

But few witty answers here like 1961 platform at Dartford station or 1985 trying to stop Dirty Work smiling smiley

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: July 28, 2012 01:58

'68 to throw Jones into rehab or whatever came closest.

Or, '63 so I could play percussion on their iBC recordings.

Date: July 28, 2012 02:41

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: July 28, 2012 02:56

1978 0r 1981

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: July 28, 2012 03:27

69 or 72 tours.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: July 28, 2012 05:16

1975 Tour of The Americas

Posted by: shelter ()
Date: July 28, 2012 18:37

For me set up the time machine on September 9th 1973, for one of the Empire Pool shows in London, another date of the european tour will be fine too.
Thanks Doc !!

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: July 31, 2012 04:30

Funny I have been on a 1969 U.S.Tour kick lately and was day dreaming about this very topic the other day.

I would go back to 1969 and follow the Stones tour and record every show on a portable digital recorder with a good quality external mic.

Then go back again and video every 1969 tour show.

After listening to all the known bootlegs from that tour we could use some major upgrades in sound quality and I am dying for some videos of the shows other than the meager official stuff we have.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-31 04:33 by oldschool.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: July 31, 2012 04:58

next year,people are gonna be shocked,this band is better than ever,ive seen them,my brothers friends w/bernard.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 31, 2012 05:04

oldschool
Funny I have been on a 1969 U.S.Tour kick lately and was day dreaming about this very topic the other day.

I would go back to 1969 and follow the Stones tour and record every show on a portable digital recorder with a good quality external mic.

After listening to all the known bootlegs from that tour we could use some major upgrades in sound quality and I am dying for some videos of the shows other than the meager official stuff we have.

You won't have any trouble getting your camera or digital recorder in - security in 1969 won't even recognise that's what they are - and if they do, you can always switch to your mobile phone. After all, what else are you going to use it for? You won't have a signal until 1995....

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 31, 2012 08:37

The excitement and musicality of the 1969 shows is well worth re-living.
Mick captivated the crowds at every show. Keith was great to listen to then.
The Rolling Stones were as hot, hot, hot.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: July 31, 2012 08:44

I know I might be the only one, but covering more than 40 years of Rolling Stones Music in my mind I just would like to see those Trilogies as in 2003. Those were the moments where the Stones had been able to cover a span of their career.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 31, 2012 10:48

I think the Fruit of the Loom Tour was fantastic. Also No Security. May be those three shows at MSG where they did Might As Well Get Juiced one night. Or simply As Tears Go By live at the Hollywood Bowl? I could take any tour really, don't look back, I am ready for the next one!

Bjornulf

Posted by: RollingStonesRob ()
Date: July 31, 2012 11:10

htttp://www.last.fm/user/rocknrollcola

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: July 31, 2012 15:44

Green Lady
oldschool

You won't have any trouble getting your camera or digital recorder in - security in 1969 won't even recognise that's what they are - and if they do, you can always switch to your mobile phone. After all, what else are you going to use it for? You won't have a signal until 1995....

Yeah I thought of that too. I am reading a book on bootlegging and the guy, Dub, who recorded The 69 Oakland Liver show said it was no problem getting his reel to reel and shotgun mic into the concert as nobody was looking for recorders back then. Security was very light I guess.

I figure I would need to bring a casette recorder from the period as a decoy in a nap sack and keep the digital recorder hidden so as not to arouse the natives curiosity.

The video camera would be more problematic but they are so small these days maybe hide it under a hat with a hole cut out for the lens.

Always fun to daydream.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-31 15:46 by oldschool.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1702
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home