Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

live at crawdaddy 1963 - tapes (sorry, only photo)
Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: February 20, 2022 21:07

hi,

just found this video,

i don't know where this exhibition takes/took place,
but at 0:01 there are the tapes of a gig at the crawdaddy,
tapes sold at an auction in may 2004, see nzentgraf 630922B,
man what would i give to listen to them !

Re: live at crawdaddy 1963 - tapes (sorry, only photo)
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 20, 2022 21:13

What video?

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: February 20, 2022 21:28

Maybe this one: [m.youtube.com]

Screenshot:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-20 21:43 by BlueTurns2Grey.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 20, 2022 21:31

The existence of these tapes makes me wonder what else was recorded by the band and their inner circle back then in terms of gigs and rehearsals and what still exists today. Or are these the only surviving artifacts from their very early days (apart from the Little Boy Blue home tapes and the Curly Clayton acetate, of course).

Date: February 21, 2022 00:54

BlueTurns2Grey
Maybe this one: [m.youtube.com]

Screenshot:

Thanks. I'd kill to hear that. I guess the Holy Grail is the Gromelski film. But that Crawdaddy tape is pretty close. One thing not mentioned about the group is how fast their sound came together. The core of the Beatles was together some six years before we heard them. The Stones only about a year.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 21, 2022 01:20

Giorgio Gomelsky --- UGLY THINGS magazine ….. #45

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 21, 2022 03:49

thomashanck
hi,

just found this video,

i don't know where this exhibition takes/took place,

Exhibitionism.

The contract in the same cabinet is the one owned by Matt Lee and loaned to them.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 21, 2022 04:13

The rumour was Mick bought the Crawdaddy Tapes .....

ROCKMAN

Date: February 21, 2022 08:50

I never thought, that the "Little Boy Blue" reels would come to light, even when it was rumoured, that MJ should have bought them. Now we had a listen to most of them. So there is a bit of hope for the Crawdaddy reels. We never know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-21 11:44 by BlueTurns2Grey.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 21, 2022 11:39

From the lot description on Christie's website:

The Rolling Stones

A rare ¼ inch reel-to-reel tape recording of The Rolling Stones performing at the Crawdaddy Club, Richmond Athletic Association, Richmond, Summer 1963, the recording made by Paul Lucas on two reels of Agfa Magnetonband tape, approximate running time 90 minutes, running order:
1. Route 66 [complete]
2. Come On
3. Talkin' Bout You
4. Love Potion No.9
5. Roll Over Beethoven
6. Money
7. Pretty Thing [complete]
8. Jaguar & Thunderbird
9. Don't Lie To Me
10.Our Little Rendezvous [complete, Chuck Berry's rewrite of Good Morning Little Schoolgirl - this Berry song is unknown in any other version by the Stones]
11.You Got Me Running
12.Brown Eyed Handsome Man
13.Diddley Diddley Daddy [complete]
14.Money [complete];
accompanied by a c.d. of the recording and a black and white photograph of The Rolling Stones on stage at the Station Hotel, Richmond, 1963 [printed later] -- 8½x10¼in. (21.6x26cm.)

This recording is offered for sale without copyright, broadcast rights, performers consents, and other reproduction rights. The Buyer must apply to the relevant parties to obtain such clearance and consents as may be necessary (4)
[www.christies.com]

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: February 21, 2022 12:16

Tut! Tut! Christiano, you omitted this text from the site...

Lot Essay
In the early 1960s Paul Lucas was the bass player in Jeff Beck's band The Tridents, and, along with the embryonic Who and Yardbirds, frequented Giorgio Gomelsky's Crawdaddy Club, first situated at the Station Hotel in Richmond, later moving to the Richmond Athletic Association at the end of June, 1963. On the occasion that the above recording was made at the Athletic Association venue, sometime between July and September, 1963, Mr Lucas had borrowed a friend's clockwork tape recorder (clockwork recorders were usually used by news reporters and pre-dated cassette recorders). Mr Lucas recalls having to arrive early at the venue to get close to the stage. When the Stones came on, he and his brother were situated to the left of the stage, just in front of Brian Jones, and asked his permission to record the performance.

Giorgio Gomelsky's club became known as the Crawdaddy after the Stones started their weekly stint on 24th February - the Bo Diddley song Doing The Crawdaddy was the last number of their set. It was here that they first came to the attention of the Press, were famously visited by The Beatles at Gomelsky's invitation on 14th April, and first seen by Andrew Loog Oldham on 28th April. Oldham moved quickly to sign up the Stones, and on 1st May, Brian Jones found himself in the offices Oldham rented from Eric Easton on Regent Sreet, signing a three-year management contract on behalf of the group. In his autobiography Stone Alone, Bill Wyman said of receiving their first paycheck from Gomelsky..."the place was to mean much more to the band's future than money..."

Although a couple of set lists from this era have been preserved, no live recordings were thought to exist. Due to the nature of the recording equipment used, not all the tracks are complete, some suffer from either intermittent microphone connection or dropout due to the machine needing to be wound up and restarted (tracks that are complete have been marked as such in the catalogue description). In spite of the primitive recording equipment, the quality is surprisingly good and the tape captures the excitement created by the group rated by The Beatles, among others, as Britain's finest R&B band.

Gold! Thanks for the link. (Sold for 23,900 UK Pounds in 2004).

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 21, 2022 12:41

CaptainCorella
Tut! Tut! Christiano, you omitted this text from the site...

I didn't have my morning coffee yet. grinning smiley

On any case it's interesting to notice that the tapes are part of the Rolling Stones Archive, as per the description on that screencapture, which makes very likely that Mick bought them.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 21, 2022 12:52

The tapes are part of the Exhibitionism touring displays - or at any rate, they were when it opened in London.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 21, 2022 14:03

and to think people waste time stealing jewels and art from museums when these are just sitting theregrinning smiley

also this may sound dumb and i admit to understanding almost nothing about this but is it possible for these tapes to slip out in a copyright extension release or something?

Date: February 21, 2022 14:59

could have been a clockwork recorder like this...
[www.pinterest.pt]

Date: February 21, 2022 15:06

paul lucas from the tridents...
[thestrangebrew.co.uk]

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 21, 2022 16:54

I think we might only get such things after Mick and Keith pass away.

Date: February 21, 2022 18:33

His Majesty
I think we might only get such things after Mick and Keith pass away.

Unfortunately a lot of us will have passed away too. I'm almost positive Mick will live into his 90s.

Date: February 21, 2022 19:04

60 years would be a good reason to publish that stuff in 2023 ...

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: February 21, 2022 19:51

I know that this was available on bootleg back in the 1970s, because I saw a copy. I've always wondered what a Stones cover of "Love Potion No. 9" would sound like. It's kind of puzzling that it isn't more widely available. I would have thought that once something was bootlegged there would be no way of putting the toothpaste back in the tube.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: February 22, 2022 10:49

blivet
I know that this was available on bootleg back in the 1970s, because I saw a copy. I've always wondered what a Stones cover of "Love Potion No. 9" would sound like. It's kind of puzzling that it isn't more widely available. I would have thought that once something was bootlegged there would be no way of putting the toothpaste back in the tube.

i think your mistaken

if this was bootlegged in the seventies we would all know about it

but in case your right can you give any more details about what you saw?

did you hear it?

Date: February 22, 2022 11:03

blivet

Are you sure? If this show was distributed as a bootleg back then I doubt Mick would have bought it.

But this made me curious...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 22, 2022 11:13

blivet

It has never been bootlegged.

Mathijs

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 22, 2022 15:56

Mathijs is right - it has never been bootlegged. Never ever. Otherwise, I would most likely have it. I've also never seen it listed anywhere.

Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: February 22, 2022 17:09

I do remember a vinyl record that had the original setlist, but consisted of original version, nothing by the Stones (but it may have been Marquee 62).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-22 17:46 by riccardo99.

Date: February 22, 2022 18:12

Love Potion #9 has been named in David Dalton's book "The First 20 Years". Later on, some misnamed Keith's Apartement No. 9 and called it Love Potion #9. I remember reading that on some tapes and maybe also on vinyl bootlegs. But this track and of course the rest of the show has never been circulating, as far as I know.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1664
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home