Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Dan Armstrong on Winter Tour 73, a fake?
Posted by: pichenot ()
Date: January 24, 2022 17:57

Fake or just an advertising?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-25 09:01 by pichenot.

Re: Dan Armstrong on Winter Tour 73, a fake?
Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 24, 2022 21:50

?

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: January 24, 2022 22:12

The picture looks like it's from '72. I thought that rhe Dan Armstrong was stolen in '71..?

Date: January 24, 2022 22:19

retired_dog
?
Have you seen Keith with a dan armstrong in the seventies after the theft in Nellcote?

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 24, 2022 22:45

pichenot
retired_dog
?
Have you seen Keith with a dan armstrong in the seventies after the theft in Nellcote?

Sorry, the question mark means that I can't see the picture, but maybe it's just me.

Date: January 25, 2022 00:09

The picture is not visible.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 25, 2022 01:15

IF YOU UPLOAD YOUR IMAGE TO GOOGLE DRIVE, it is a huge pain in the ass to post it here on IORR.

INSTRUCTIONS

(1)
Upload your pic to your Google Drive.
Make sure to set the sharing preferences for file to "Public" using Advanced option.

(2)
When you click on a file's icon, the window opens to a webpage containing your image.
Look at the browser's address bar and you should see something like
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bywukak-o6lBQ1JZeGdYTXZGb3c/view?usp=sharing
This is actually the address for the webpage -- not the image file itself.
To use on this forum, you have to change the format.

(3)
Instead you must type:
[img]https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0Bywukak-o6lBQ1JZeGdYTXZGb3c[/img ]

Note the part above that is red underlined... that's where you substitute your picture's 28-character Google file id.
On your Google Drive, that's the part in the middle:

google.com/file/d/............................/view?usp=sharing

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-26 16:22 by schillid.

Date: January 25, 2022 09:17

Ok, picture fixed!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 25, 2022 09:39

Keith received at least two new Dan Armstrongs after his original first prototype and his second production model were stolen in 1971. He used the Dan Amstrong on the first 5 or 6 shows of the 1972 tour, I believe the picture above is from San Francisco.

He later remarked that he thought the new guitars he received in 1972 weren't of his liking at all, and that they went out of tune constantly.

This could be attributed to the much thinner neck of 1971 models compared to 1969 and 1970 models.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-25 15:53 by Mathijs.

Date: January 25, 2022 10:00

I'm agree with you Mathjis but it's the 1st time I see that guitar on the 72' tour!

Date: January 25, 2022 11:10

pichenot
retired_dog
?

This is the open G Dan Armstrong. Was that one also stolen?

Date: January 25, 2022 11:57

DandelionPowderman
pichenot
retired_dog
?

This is the open G Dan Armstrong. Was that one also stolen?

That is unclear -I have not seen any picture of this second DA at Nellcote, only with his original prototype. Keith was known to give guitars away, and one of the stories is that he gave his second DA away after the 1971 tour.

Mathijs

Date: January 25, 2022 12:00

Thanks, Mathijs thumbs up

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 25, 2022 13:21

Mathijs
Keith received at least two new Dan Armstrongs after his original first prototype and his second production model were stolen. He used the Dan Amstrong on the first 5 or 6 shows, I believe the picture above is from San Francisco.

He later remarked that he thought the new guitars he received weren't of his liking at all, and that they went out of tune constantly.

This could be attributed to the much thinner neck of 1971 models compared to 1969 and 1970 models.

Mathijs
Nope , it is the bridge that moves (which causes the tuning issue ) and that is the design flaw !

Date: January 25, 2022 13:34

Mathijs
Keith received at least two new Dan Armstrongs after his original first prototype and his second production model were stolen. He used the Dan Amstrong on the first 5 or 6 shows, I believe the picture above is from San Francisco.

He later remarked that he thought the new guitars he received weren't of his liking at all, and that they went out of tune constantly.

Mathijs
Anyone who has played a vintage Dan Armstrong (69 -70 ) knows this about the bridge and the 69-70 model years had decent size necks . Very similar to a circa 58- 59 profile Gibson Les Paul neck , in between the baseball bat necks of the 58's and a 59 which is more of the in between to the smallish 60 slim taper necks . Very similar feel and if you like Gibson's it just like a Gibson Neck/feel . This design borrowed heavily from Gibson double cutaway Les Paul Special and originally had a Gibson style headstock and the design was altered to avoid Gibson Corporate lawyers and thus the Gibson headstock was slashed as you see on the Dan Armstrong model . Same set up with the tuning gears as they are on 3 a side and used Grover Rotomatic gears as everyone that had Gibson's back then was getting rid of the Kluson Tuners for Grovers for a more precise tuning .

Date: January 25, 2022 13:53

Ok guys but my question was'nt about dating the guitar itself but that GUITAR during the winter tour 73.

Date: January 25, 2022 14:09

pichenot
Ok guys but my question was'nt about dating the guitar itself but that GUITAR during the winter tour 73.

As Mathijs posted, it's not confirmed that this other Dan Armstrong in the picture was either stolen or given away. It could be the same open G-tuned guitar, but we just don't know. Yet...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-25 14:10 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 25, 2022 14:13

That pic of keith.. he wears that top during the Melbourne 1973 shows.

Are you asking if he played the DA during the 1973 Aussie/NZ Tour?

Date: January 25, 2022 14:26

Eleanor Rigby

Yes first time I see Keith with Dan Armstrong between Nellcote and European tour 2007.

Date: January 25, 2022 14:31

Mathijs reckons that pic is San Francisco 1972.
I thought he also played the DA during one of the Canadian shows from 1972.

I haven't seen the DA in any 1973 pics.

Date: January 25, 2022 15:47

Here's a picture from the third Winterland show with the DA:

Here's Keith at the 4th Winterland show with the shirt

And with the shirt and white pants with the DA:

Keith wore the same shirt at one of the Honolulu shows in 1973, but as far as I can tell different shoes and trousers.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-25 15:50 by Mathijs.

Date: January 25, 2022 15:52

pichenot
Eleanor Rigby

Yes first time I see Keith with Dan Armstrong between Nellcote and European tour 2007.

Who said the pic in the opening post was from the 1973 Winter Tour?

Date: January 25, 2022 15:57

TheGreek
Mathijs

Mathijs
Anyone who has played a vintage Dan Armstrong (69 -70 ) knows this about the bridge and the 69-70 model years had decent size necks . Very similar to a circa 58- 59 profile Gibson Les Paul neck , in between the baseball bat necks of the 58's and a 59 which is more of the in between to the smallish 60 slim taper necks . Very similar feel and if you like Gibson's it just like a Gibson Neck/feel . This design borrowed heavily from Gibson double cutaway Les Paul Special and originally had a Gibson style headstock and the design was altered to avoid Gibson Corporate lawyers and thus the Gibson headstock was slashed as you see on the Dan Armstrong model . Same set up with the tuning gears as they are on 3 a side and used Grover Rotomatic gears as everyone that had Gibson's back then was getting rid of the Kluson Tuners for Grovers for a more precise tuning .

It is not so much the bridge -it is a horrible design, but with a little tape and some marker pen you can get it to stick in place during string changing. Once the strings are on the bridge will not move and will stay in tune.

The difference between 1969 and 1971 models really is in the neck, in combination with the much thinner frets and the general design of the guitar. They are less comfortable to play, and much more 'wobbly' and unstable.

Mathijs

Date: January 25, 2022 20:47

Mathijs
TheGreek
Mathijs

Mathijs

It is not so much the bridge -it is a horrible design, but with a little tape and some marker pen you can get it to stick in place during string changing. Once the strings are on the bridge will not move and will stay in tune.

The difference between 1969 and 1971 models really is in the neck, in combination with the much thinner frets and the general design of the guitar. They are less comfortable to play, and much more 'wobbly' and unstable.

Mathijs
Sorry to have to correct you but the DA Plexiglass was only made in 69 and 70 . The bridge is the only design flaw in this other wise perfect instrument . Which has a very rich tone/sound . I never ever would have thought a guitar made out of these materials could have such a rich sound and that's where the designer certainly did his homework along with chosen the plexiglass body which is very striking to look at . IMHO no expenses were spared in this design other than the flawed bridge . Fun Fact Dan Armstrong was a guitar repairman with his own shop on West 48th St. and repaired guitars . Dan Armstrong was hired by Ampeg to improve there Grammar line of guitars .

Date: January 26, 2022 14:06

Perhaps you are thinking solely of the US-made DA-guitars, Greek?

The original is from 1968, btw, but it took off in 69.

Here is a video, also with the English-made DA-guitar from the early 70s (not sure if it's from 70 or 71, though, didn't have the time to watch it through. But he says the US and UK-made guitars were made between 69 and 71).

A little JJF in there as well smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 26, 2022 15:43

DandelionPowderman
pichenot
Eleanor Rigby

Hahaha...read the post!
Surely he is asking if that pic is from 1973 aussie tour??

Date: January 26, 2022 15:51

Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
pichenot
Eleanor Rigby

Hahaha...read the post!

I meant why did he assume it was from that tour at all smiling smiley

Date: January 26, 2022 18:24

DandelionPowderman
Perhaps you are thinking solely of the US-made DA-guitars, Greek?

The original is from 1968, btw, but it took off in 69.

Here is a video, also with the English-made DA-guitar from the early 70s (not sure if it's from 70 or 71, though, didn't have the time to watch it through. But he says the US and UK-made guitars were made between 69 and 71).

A little JJF in there as well smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

From Wikipedia [en.wikipedia.org]

Date: January 26, 2022 18:46

DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
pichenot
Eleanor Rigby

Hahaha...read the post!

I meant why did he assume it was from that tour at all smiling smiley

It doesn't matter if it's 72 or 73, had you ever seen a Dan Armstrong in Keith's hands after the guitar theft at Nellcote. Is it pretty clear or you need a 60 page explanation?smoking smiley

Date: January 26, 2022 18:47

Yes, Wiki says that he made more guitars when he moved to London (most likely the 71-models with mahogany).

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1726
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home