Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Is Don Was still working with the Stones
Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: January 24, 2022 01:30

I quickly glanced at the GHS and Tattoo reissues and don’t rennet seeing Don Was mentioned. If so I am ok with that

Re: Is Don Was still working with the Stones
Posted by: Putty ()
Date: January 24, 2022 02:21

Bashlets
I quickly glanced at the GHS and Tattoo reissues and don’t rennet seeing Don Was mentioned. If so I am ok with that

I’m also ok, especially after Bigger Bang.

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: January 24, 2022 02:35

Are the Stones still working?

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 24, 2022 04:40

daniel t
Are the Stones still working?

Ha, good question! Last I heard they were touring in the States from September to November 2021, so, YES, at least part-time.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 24, 2022 04:53

Don produced "Living in a Ghost Town." GOATS HEAD SOUP DELUXE and TATTOO YOU DELUXE were completed in lockdown by Mick and Matt Clifford. Matt is not credited as a producer on the deluxe editions. Original production credits only. Reduced budgets for both projects are another reason Don was not engaged.

You might recall Don called "Scarlet" "a hit then and a hit now" when doing promotion for EXILE DELUXE in 2010. Allegedly some of the outtakes on both GOATS HEAD SOUP DELUXE and TATTOO YOU DELUXE were already reworked in 2009 and some of the tracks were likewise prepped at the start of the Virgin Records contract in 1993. Apparently they have been playing with these tracks for a very long time with an eye on releasing them in 1994, 1999, 2002, and then starting in 2010. Various ideas floating around for how to bring them out. We just might see more this year with the possibility of outtakes from DIRTY WORK forward being collected as a package. And yes, some of them have more recent overdubs. Time will tell.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 24, 2022 05:17

Rocky Dijon
Don produced "Living in a Ghost Town." GOATS HEAD SOUP DELUXE and TATTOO YOU DELUXE were completed in lockdown by Mick and Matt Clifford. Matt is not credited as a producer on the deluxe editions. Original production credits only. Reduced budgets for both projects are another reason Don was not engaged.

You might recall Don called "Scarlet" "a hit then and a hit now" when doing promotion for EXILE DELUXE in 2010. Allegedly some of the outtakes on both GOATS HEAD SOUP DELUXE and TATTOO YOU DELUXE were already reworked in 2009 and some of the tracks were likewise prepped at the start of the Virgin Records contract in 1993. Apparently they have been playing with these tracks for a very long time with an eye on releasing them in 1994, 1999, 2002, and then starting in 2010. Various ideas floating around for how to bring them out. We just might see more this year with the possibility of outtakes from DIRTY WORK forward being collected as a package. And yes, some of them have more recent overdubs. Time will tell.

Perhaps the "infamous" MEMORY HOTEL album!

It seems that they've generally done 'playbacks' of previous sessions in regard to further work on songs during a new LP session(s). A lot of albums have benefitted from this kind of work, going all the way back to LET IT BLEED and ending with UNDERCOVER, at least in regard to what I've ever seen said prior to the supposed MEMORY HOTEL album in 1999.

However...

From another thread...

Rocky Dijon
BEYOND THE GROOVE was actually an odd short-lived TV series. A 30 minute format. Only 6 episodes were produced. It was really just a series of music videos strung loosely together by a narrative of David Rappaport taking a road trip. The version of "Memory Motel" used had been cut for PRIMITIVE COOL. A version of "Fool To Cry" was also recorded but has never surfaced.

As for MEMORY HOTEL, a source at Virgin had said it was a planned two-part Japanese CD-single for "Memory Motel." The two discs would have been issued separately as CD singles each with "Memory Motel" plus 3 bonus tracks. One of the six bonus tracks was to have been the outtake, "Ever Changing World." That said, Don Was had discussed doing a proper 2-CD set of outtakes from BRIDGES TO BABYLON, VOODOO LOUNGE, and even a bit of STEEL WHEELS. It would have also included some alternate takes such as a straight bluesy version of "Might As Well Get Juiced" without The Dust Brothers' fingerprints on it. Additional overdubs were required to finish some of the material. Allegedly, Keith was up for it, but Mick wasn't. Don has suggested returning to the project to Universal several times over the last few years.

Mind you, others will dismiss all I have said as completely wrong.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 24, 2022 05:34

Well, we'll have a better idea this summer. Most of these things seem to happen eventually just without any sense of urgency.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 24, 2022 20:32

Although there is something on all 4 LPs the Stones did with Don Was that I like, Living In A Ghost Town is the best work he's done with the Stones. For me it still stands as their most viable and inventive single since Undercover Of The Night.

Hopefully... they release their final studio album this year and it's got great tunes on it, with or without Don Was.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 24, 2022 21:37

Rocky Dijon

Well, yes, "another reason". But basically, Don Was wasn't exactly needed as a "producer". The recordings for the original GHS and TY albums were already done and finished decades ago, GHS was remixed by Giles Martin and TY just "remastered", so there was next to nothing left for Don to do on these. Basically this also counts for the studio bonus tracks, where it was decided that a few guitar and lead vocal overdubs could be done without Don at the helm as Matt's services are obviously a bit cheaper... And when was the last time Don had a hand in any live tracks? Looks like whenever they don't have to start anything "all new" from scratch that Don is out of the picture now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-25 07:31 by retired_dog.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1887
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home