Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: The 10 worst moments of the Rolling Stones.
Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: July 21, 2012 23:30

Honestman
The Stones
Miss You with Justin Timberlake, Toronto 2003.

"Miss You" is boring live since they started to play it except during the 1978 US tour...I'm sure that Mick take more pleasure to sing it than "Satisfaction" smiling bouncing smiley

The version on Hampton '81 is really good. To me at least, and I remember when it came out that was one of the more talked about highlights. That and Let It Bleed.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: July 21, 2012 23:35

...but the death of Ian Stewart goes unmentioned....hmmmm..

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: July 21, 2012 23:45

lunar!!!
...but the death of Ian Stewart goes unmentioned....hmmmm..

winking smiley

HMN

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: July 22, 2012 00:19

Posted by: WeLoveToPlayTheBlues ()
Date: July 21, 2012 23:25

ChefGuevara
9. Filthy words — In February 2006 the band performed at the Super Bowl and Mr. Jagger was asked to omit some words with sexual connotations from two songs. As expected, he did not and his microphone was temporarily dipped.

Filthy words? They had no control over that - they are part of the songs. They agreed to do it. They can't help it the SB people are so Disney about crap like that. Not a worst moment.

ChefGuevara
8. “The Ed Sullivan Show” — In a performance on “The Ed Sullivan Show” in 1967, Sullivan requested Mr. Jagger to change the line in the song “Let’s Spend the Night Together,” to “Let’s spend some time together.” After cursing out talent coordinator Vince Calandra before going on the stage, Mr. Jagger does what he is told but sarcastically exaggerates the altered lyrics and rolls his eyes.

See above.

ChefGuevara
7. The “Undercover” album art cover — The 1983 album “Undercover” had one of the absolutely worst art covers: a naked lady with her private parts covered by decals which could be peeled off.

You have bad taste. Or no taste. Awesome LP cover. Peel offs are bad? What are you, 90 years old? "Private parts"? Why not just say what it is? Her pussy had a sticker over it!

ChefGuevara
6. X-rated documentary — On their 1972 tour of the U.S., the Rolling Stones let Robert Frank film a behind-the-scenes documentary. When the band saw the finished project, it was so provocative, raunchy and raw they sued to prevent it being shown. Mr. Frank won a court ruling which allows him to screen it four times a year. According to Rolling Stone magazine, in one scene a roadie “has sex with a reluctant-looking groupie on a plane while the band bangs on percussion instruments.” “I hope you are all ready for misogyny, boredom and ecstasy — stupor and exhaustion,” warned Jeff Rosenheim, when it was screened at Metropolitan Museum of Art in 2009.

See bold word. You get what you pay for.

ChefGuevara
5. Drug bust —Mr. Jagger was arrested in 1967 with Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards for possession of an illegal drug and was initially sentenced to a year in prison. Both convictions were overturned following an appeal. In 1977, Mr. Richards was arrested in Toronto on charges of cocaine and heroin possession but escaped punishment. Years later, Rolling Stone guitarist Ron Wood estimated he spent more than $25 million on drugs and alcohol.

Perhaps at the time it was bad. But in the long run, they got some tunes out of it. Not so bad afterall. In fact, most likely worth it. How you equate Ronnie Wood to their 1967 bust is plain ol' bad journalism. You might as well say "By 2008 The Rolling Stones were as old as 15 conch shells in the Bahamas."

ChefGuevara
4. Misogynist billboard — The Rolling Stones promoted their album “Black and Blue” with a billboard on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood that featured model Anita Russell bruised and bound by Mr. Jagger under the phrase, “I’m Black and Blue from the Rolling Stones — and I love it!” The billboard was removed after protests by the group Women Against Violence Against Women, although it garnered the band widespread media coverage.

At the time it was probably artistic and thought provoking for a band to do that. It was an ADVERTISEMENT. Nowadays it might be considered bland. For The Rolling Stones, hilarious. For people that were becoming more aware of things, no. Alas, it was not reality - just like movies. Over-reaction.

ChefGuevara
3. Kids as drug mules — When the band was recording “Exile on Main St.” in France in the early 1970s, socialite Tommy Weber flew in for Mr. Jagger’s wedding with a kilo of cocaine. According to Robert Greenfield in his recent “Exile on Main St.: A Season in Hell With the Rolling Stones,” Weber got the drugs past customs by using money belts strapped underneath the clothes of his two small sons, who were to be pageboys at Mr. Jagger’s wedding.

And? You're going by a book? Have you read that anywhere else? And even if it is true, everyone was doing it - so what's the big deal? Nobody got hurt. Damn. That's really low. No good. Doesn't count.

ChefGuevara
2. The death at Altamont — During a performance of “Sympathy for the Devil” by the Rolling Stones at the Altamont Speedway Free Festival, a fight erupted in front of the stage. The Stones continued to perform through the melee. Then, during the song “Under My Thumb,” 18-year-old Meredith Hunter was stabbed to death by a member of the Hell’s Angels, who were hired as security and paid with free beer. The stabbing was recorded in the film “Gimme Shelter.”

What if that idiot died while someone else was playing? It means nothing. History has overindulged itself with this crap. It was his problem, not the Stones'. A big deal made out of nothing.

ChefGuevara
1. The death of Brian Jones — Hard-living Rolling Stones guitarist Brian Jones was found dead in his swimming pool in July 1969. The talented instrumentalist and original leader of the Stones died at his mansion in rural Sussex, months after leaving the band. The death was ruled “death by misadventure.” It was generally assumed, the 27-year-old’s death was due to a drug overdose. Conspiracy theories abound, as some believe Jones was murdered. Mr. Jagger and Mr. Richards did not attend the funeral. In 2010, police said they would not reopen the case despite new evidence.

Since he was officially out of the band, how could it have anything to do with the Stones? Weak. THEY had nothing to do with it.

I was just copy pasting the article.
It is not my opinion.
I should have credited the source.

Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: July 22, 2012 01:51

ab
Bad cover discussion and not a word about No Security?

[en.wikipedia.org]

Not a bad cover - what's wrong with it?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 22, 2012 02:39

For me...................

No Security
Flashpoint
Steel Wheels

s-cks as covers

Date: July 22, 2012 03:15

NICOS

No Security
Flashpoint
Steel Wheels

s-cks as covers

I suppose its how we see things.. I thought the picture on No Security was quite good, Flashpoint was ok .. that kinda industrial-logo thing on the album and with the related singles had a certain style. Nope cant defend Steel Wheels.. pretty dull wallpaper yuch!

I notice on a 'worst album cover' site that 'Get Yer Ya Ya's Out' is featured and I've always thought that was one of their best so... what do I know...!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-22 03:28 by rumple21.

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: July 22, 2012 03:24

Another pointless thread! in a 50 year history there's bound to of been low points. Who cares! focus on the 10,000 or so high points!

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 22, 2012 03:38

Nasty Habits
Another pointless thread! in a 50 year history there's bound to of been low points. Who cares! focus on the 10,000 or so high points!

that's too big of a thread. let's stick to what's achievable.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: July 22, 2012 03:45

rumple21
NICOS

No Security
Flashpoint
Steel Wheels

s-cks as covers

I suppose its how we see things.. I thought the picture on No Security was quite good, Flashpoint was ok .. that kinda industrial-logo thing on the album and with the related singles had a certain style. Nope cant defend Steel Wheels.. pretty dull wallpaper yuch!

I notice on a 'worst album cover' site that 'Get Yer Ya Ya's Out' is featured and I've always thought that was one of their best so... what do I know...!

GYYY'sO came to mind for me also, for some reason. Nothing against Charlie, but I mean, it's a Stones album, but they've got just the drummer on the cover?

Date: July 22, 2012 04:05

The Get yer ya yas out cover is fantastically weird. Situated on a road disappearing into the distance Charlie holding two guitars jumps with joyous ecstacy into the air, while the donkey, lumbered with the rest of the kit, looks on in bewilderment.

It's different and its fun

nice picture stonesnow

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-22 04:37 by rumple21.

Date: July 22, 2012 13:38

rumple21
NICOS

No Security
Flashpoint
Steel Wheels

s-cks as covers

GYYYA belongs to me as one of their best.........and for those who don't like it ......just turn the record around......it's their best flip side cover

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-22 17:02 by NICOS.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: July 22, 2012 14:43

x

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-21 16:22 by vudicus.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 22, 2012 14:48

Nice to see that freakingnews has found a new picture from the 1792 tour...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 22, 2012 18:19

NICOS
rumple21
NICOS

No Security
Flashpoint
Steel Wheels

s-cks as covers

GYYYA belongs to me as one of their best.........and for those who don't like it ......just turn the record around......it's their best flip side cover

Yes, this is a truly great cover.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 22, 2012 18:23

Leaving Bill Wyman off the RARITIES cover.

Date: July 22, 2012 18:47

TooTough
Leaving Bill Wyman off the RARITIES cover.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 22, 2012 21:02

vudicus
01. Brian Jones Dying
02. Ian Stewart Dying
03. Keiths Head Injury & Subsequent Decline
04. Bill Wyman Leaving
05. Nicky Hopkins Dying
06. Jimmy Miller Dying
07. Billy Preston Dying
08. Private Show For Bankers
09. Altamont
10. Sex Drive

i note that you have four death slots remaining. that's very morbid of you.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 22, 2012 21:13

....marketing Streets of Love / A Bigger Bang on Days of Our Lives, the day time US soap opera has got to rank as one of their worst moments.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 22, 2012 21:23

Emotional Rescue. Single and LP.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 22, 2012 22:58

Allowing MJ to release his solo tripe on Rolling Stones Records was a mistake. Keith didn't even do that!!!

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: July 23, 2012 01:55

More Hot Rocks

Are you actually serious????????

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 23, 2012 03:14

Nasty Habits
More Hot Rocks

Actually i should of included Undercover and Some girls.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 23, 2012 05:08

More Hot Rocks
Nasty Habits
More Hot Rocks

Don't make light of this Nasty Habits, concussions happen everyday....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 23, 2012 07:15

Munichhilton
More Hot Rocks
Nasty Habits
More Hot Rocks

Don't make light of this Nasty Habits, concussions happen everyday....

Some Girls, Emotional Rescue, Tattoo You and Undercover are the 'big four' for the next generation of stones fans, of which I am one. Interesting they happened over roughly the same amount of time as the original big 4.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: July 23, 2012 10:48

vudicus
01. Brian Jones Dying
02. Ian Stewart Dying
03. Keiths Head Injury & Subsequent Decline
04. Bill Wyman Leaving
05. Nicky Hopkins Dying
06. Jimmy Miller Dying
07. Billy Preston Dying
08. Private Show For Bankers
09. Altamont
10. Sex Drive

AGREE 90%; i like sex drive; i did'nt like to see KR sharing stage with Miguel Bosé

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: July 24, 2012 18:39

10. Keiths Head Injury & Subsequent Decline.

9. Their official website selling fans advance tickets at a huge cost and seating them at the back of the venue.

8. Merchandising. I don't begrudge any band selling tshirts but when they're flogging wine it's an embarrassment.

7. Huge breaks between albums. I understand that they're knocking on and don't owe us any more but seriously, either you're an artist and producing work or you're a nostalgia peddler. What do they do all day?

6. Life - A boring read. Actually made me dislike Keith...or Keef, I should say.

5. Running Out Of Luck - So bad it's good...and then bad again. What was Mick thinking attaching himself to that?

4. The backing musicians. I understand they are needed for some numbers but Chuck in particular annoys me. The keyboard sound ruins the classic pop singles i.e. Let's Spend The Night Together, Get Off My Cloud. Can't they use a real piano? I'm pretty sure they did on the 1981 tour and it was much better. Maybe I'm wrong.

3. Keith adopting that stupid 'Keef' persona. You're a 68 year old man from England. Not a chicago bluesman with an occasionally appearing Jamaican accent.

2. Consistently lazy set lists since 1989.

1. Mick and Keith not sitting knee to knee and composing since the 1970s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-24 18:49 by iamthedj.

Date: July 25, 2012 18:18

ChefGuevara
I was just copy pasting the article.
It is not my opinion.
I should have credited the source.

Oh.

OK. Glad to know you're really not off your rocker!

Date: July 25, 2012 18:20

Hairball
More Hot Rocks
Amy Winehouse on stage with The Stones.

Justin Timberlake on stage as well.

And when Keith decided to defend him, he truly turned into a big sissy at that point in Stones history.
In the blink of an eye, Keith turned from the bad boy of rock and roll into a wimp...definitely one of the worst moments imo.

And just think, Keith said "A wimp in disguise. Shave and go home." about George Michael.

Date: July 25, 2012 18:21

Honestman
Probably the real Worst moment of the last 10 years...

just my 2cts winking smiley

Even with the error of what actually happened?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1843
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home