Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Disco Music
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 18, 2019 22:01

I'm really digging this outtake. Just pure joy.

[www.youtube.com]

Drew

Re: Disco Music
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 18, 2019 22:20

Nice! who's playing that popping, fizzing bass?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: September 18, 2019 22:24

The second, low range "disco muzik" at the end belongs in that "finest moments as a singer" thread

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 18, 2019 22:39

I love this jam. Sloppy and wonderful.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 19, 2019 01:42

?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 19, 2019 01:45

Slip ya fingers in some fig jam NICOS … then you'll dig what he means

ROCKMAN

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 19, 2019 02:16

peoplewitheyes

Wyman, no?

Drew

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 19, 2019 03:04

drewmaster
peoplewitheyes

Wyman, no?

Drew

The one and only!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 19, 2019 17:04

How about some Disco Inferno or some Funkytown ?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 20, 2019 01:21

I remember hearing this on "Paris Results Vol. II" in 94 and being pretty appalled although I'm probably the biggest sucker for outtakes. Actually I still remember the general area where I was walking when I heard this for the first time with my walkman, haha...

A comment on YT is pretty interesting "This Outtake should be retitled - “Everlasting Is My Love” (Disco Music) Funky Jam Version 4" - had never thought of that but good point !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-20 11:21 by gotdablouse.

Date: September 20, 2019 06:52

gotdablouse
I remember hearing this on "Paris Results Vol. II" in 94 and being pretty appalled although I'm probably the biggest sucker for outtakes. Actually I still remember the general area where I was walking when I heard this for the first time with my walkman, haha...

A comment on YT is pretty interesting "This Outtake should be retitled - “Everlasting Is My Love” (Disco Music) Funky Jam Version 4" - had ever thought of that but good point !
Same kind of sucker here. "Disco Muzik" e.g. I feel like I know these songs better than many official releases.

Re: Disco Music - Disco Muzik
Posted by: alexander paul ()
Date: December 5, 2021 10:09

Felix Aeppli has in his latest additions of Nov. 30 2021 a reference to the well known outtake Disco Muzik as a 'messed-up track' and writes on a digital audio track circulating among collectors that he calls the original with long intro and real fade ending.

Has anyone heard about this original version?

Alex.

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: December 5, 2021 10:57

There are two circulating versions, one with a slightly different end. See also [iorr.org] . Felix Aeppli might write about another one.
I remember, that I found an official RS single called "Disco Music" in a vinyl-catalog, that was issued in the early 1980ies. I ordered one, but it was cancelled after a week or so. Now I wish, I still kept that catalog, because the offer didn't appear again on a following issue. I thought for a long time, that it was a print mistake, wrong group or title, but many years later this outtake appeared. So I still wonder, if this really was a planned single, or a simple mistake.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-05 10:59 by BlueTurns2Grey.

Date: December 5, 2021 12:19

Thanks. I listened to the two/three versions you refer to, they all have a vocal almost right from the beginning . But from Felix Aeppli I got the impression he writes on a version with a (much) longer introduction, before the vocal.
So, where is that one?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 5, 2021 17:50

I always liked this outtake and was hoping it would be on the SG or TY sets.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 5, 2021 22:07

That sounds like a really early version of something. Like they stripped a little from it for Miss You, and a little for Start Me Up. It doesn't amount to much. If that's Bill on bass, then it's early in the process. He usually had felt his way around in the beginning and come up with a part on most songs.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 5, 2021 22:30

TheGreek
How about some Disco Inferno or some Funkytown ?

Burn that mother down! Lot of disco sure sounds better now when compared to what came after. I actually saw the Bee Gees on the Spirits Having Flown tour. They were fantastic!

Date: December 6, 2021 00:24

Fun to hear how old rockers Keith and Bill use their tools to create a certain funky disco vibe. I like it.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 6, 2021 01:38

Bill certainly used his tool a lot......

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 6, 2021 13:36

Funky Town by Lipps Inc -[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: blakeeik ()
Date: January 17, 2022 14:37

alexander paul
Thanks. I listened to the two/three versions you refer to, they all have a vocal almost right from the beginning . But from Felix Aeppli I got the impression he writes on a version with a (much) longer introduction, before the vocal.
So, where is that one?

I'm still wondering, too - does anyone hove this one described as:

"The original recording featuring long intro/real fade and lacking the (mistakenly inserted?) doubled segment of [the version on many bootlegs]"

Posted by: TrulyMicks1 ()
Date: January 17, 2022 15:25

I love this. Thanks.

Date: January 17, 2022 15:40

Hi Blakeeik,

It seems all is one recording, but messed up, with repeated parts. There seems to be a Some girls multidisc recordings box (Stonyroad?) with all these versions.

Alex.

Posted by: blakeeik ()
Date: January 17, 2022 19:19

alexander paul
Hi Blakeeik,

It seems all is one recording, but messed up, with repeated parts. There seems to be a Some girls multidisc recordings box (Stonyroad?) with all these versions.

Alex.

From the description I think both versions on the multidisc box are from the same "messed up" version and the original has yet to be seen on IORR, but maybe I'm wrong.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 18, 2022 02:16

This ain't no derelict blues band material. In one word: trash.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 18, 2022 08:14

24FPS
That sounds like a really early version of something. Like they stripped a little from it for Miss You, and a little for Start Me Up. It doesn't amount to much. If that's Bill on bass, then it's early in the process. He usually had felt his way around in the beginning and come up with a part on most songs.

I don't hear either. I just hear a bunch of rambling noise that never goes anywhere.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 18, 2022 17:58

A cool jam-based out-take. They had so many of them on those Pathe Marconi sessions.

I can hear there a potential another disco-inspired funk gem. Probably had suited to SOME GIRLS Bonus Disc that has so many country&western type songs that it doesn't feel like representing almost at all the band in that classic album. But then again, although it is just a sketch for a song in terms of melody and lyrics, Mick is so into it, and breathing that disco-era ethos, that I don't he could have decades later gave it a justice. Unfortunately that also holds true for some other songs in SOME GIRLS Bonus Album, and I think this album is the only one of the bonus albums that I think a bit suffers from over-dubbed modern-day vocals.

"All Included!"

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-18 17:59 by Doxa.

Date: January 18, 2022 18:24

retired_dog
This ain't no derelict blues band material. In one word: trash.

C'mon Dog, don't be Macca: let them be sometimes something else than just a blues cover band...grinning smiley

But more seriously, if we trace the bloodline from Chicago blues that initially inspired and made them and how black music in America would change and evolve - r&B, soul, funk, etc. - and them always having a close ear into it and making their own interpretation (both in covers and originals) I think disco stuff was the last one they could somehow convincingly to do, that is, they could rather easily or naturally marry their own sound to it in a way that it sounded 'Stonesy'. Probably reggae, too. But rap and all that modern dance music was beyond their grasp (although Mick, especially solo, tried to an extent follow the trends). But I think "Miss You" in particular is a masterpiece, and probably their last real artistic triumph in terms of doing something novel convincingly. In "Undercover of the Night", although the novel trick was just using a contemporary technology, they had a good attempt, though. From the same time probably musically "Too Much Blood" was more ambitious try, but I think it started to have the effect that they had lost their personal touch there, the sort of 'Stonesy' feel.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-18 18:29 by Doxa.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 18, 2022 18:30

Doxa
A cool jam-based out-take. They had so many of them on those Pathe Marconi sessions.

I can hear there a potential another disco-inspired funk gem. Probably had suited to SOME GIRLS Bonus Disc that has so many country&western type songs that it doesn't feel like representing almost at all the band in that classic album. But then again, although it is just a sketch for a song in terms of melody and lyrics, Mick is so into it, and breathing that disco-era ethos, that I don't he could have decades later gave it a justice. Unfortunately that also holds true for some other songs in SOME GIRLS Bonus Album, and I think this album is the only one of the bonus albums that I think a bit suffers from over-dubbed modern-day vocals.

"All Included!"

- Doxa

Cool that you hear what the band themselves obviously don't - otherwise they would have followed this sketch for further completition.

I'm with the band here, just because musically there is not much apart from a rather uninspired generic riff and Jagger obviously taking a not-all-too-serious piss at "Disco Muzik", all in all fun while it lasted, but instantly forgotten once it was over. I for one can't see by any stretch of the imagination how they could have turned this into something, let alone a "gem". And I love their funky stuff, love "Miss You" (well, the orginal studio album and in particular the 12" plus live 1978 versions - "modern era" live versions not so much because they're too much show-biz for my taste and the guitars usually forget the weaving that made the original so great!).

Well, not everything's turning to gold!

Date: January 18, 2022 19:08

retired_dog

Cool that you hear what the band themselves obviously don't - otherwise they would have followed this sketch for further completition.

I'm with the band here, just because musically there is not much apart from a rather uninspired generic riff and Jagger obviously taking a not-all-too-serious piss at "Disco Muzik", all in all fun while it lasted, but instantly forgotten once it was over. I for one can't see by any stretch of the imagination how they could have turned this into something, let alone a "gem". And I love their funky stuff, love "Miss You" (well, the orginal studio album and in particular the 12" plus live 1978 versions - "modern era" live versions not so much because they're too much show-biz for my taste and the guitars usually forget the weaving that made the original so great!).

Well, not everything's turning to gold!

Haha, cool that we agree on "Miss You", as you can see in my reply above (also I agree with you in regard to its modern - from 1989 on - live versions, although recently I have started to appreciate it more and how it gives a musical variance to a Stones show, and I also like Darryl's solo spot). But cannot help if you guys (you & The Stones) do not have musical imagination to hear the potentiality of "Disco Music"...grinning smiley

But yeah, it could be that my imagination goes too wild and hear there something that there is not. I think similar case is "Jah Is Not Dead" or how that long reggae jam from EMOTIONAL RESCUE sessions is called. I think that sounds cool like hell, and I could listen it forever (it almost does, though), but I can easily understand that it probably was just something for fun, and didn't have any serious thoughts ever to be released. As I think the case with "Disco Music" was as well.

I think in general the unrelaesed out-takes are pretty hard to judge 'objectively' or 'critically' with the ears like a hardcore fan like me owns - like how they actually compare against released stuff. Especially the ones that are far from a finished stage like "Disco Music". The Stones by now have released officially pretty many of those that for long were "unreleased gems", but they have lost a bit of their appeal to me after having seen the official light of the day (there are exceptions, though), and more and more I have started to understand why they weren't released back in the day.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-18 19:15 by Doxa.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1667
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home