Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Track Talk: I'm Moving On
Posted by: René ()
Date: April 26, 2011 10:25

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

I’m Moving On
(Hank Snow)

Regal Theatre, Edmonton, UK, March 5, 1965,
Empire Theatre, Liverpool, UK, March 6, 1965 or
Granada Theatre, Greenford, Middlesex, UK, March 16, 1965

Mick Jagger - lead vocals, harmonica
Keith Richards - electric guitar, harmony vocals
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass
Brian Jones - electric slide guitar

I warned you baby from time to time
You don't listen, so pay me no mind
About movin' on, yeah, I'm a moving on
I'm through with you, too bad you're blue, I'll move on

Mister Engineer with your throttle in hand
Take me back to that Southern land
It called moving, keep a rolling on
You're flying too high for my old sky, I'll move on

Mister Fireman, please woncha listen to me
I got a woman in Tennessee
Keep on moving, keep a rolling on
You're flying too high, it's all over now, I move on

Yes, I'm gonna move, I'm gonna move
Said I'm gonna move, gotta go home
I gotta go home, I gotta go home
Well, tell ya
I, I, I, I’m going home
I, I, I, I’m going home
I, I, I, I’m going home
I've gotta go home
I've gotta go baby
I gotta keep rolling
And I'm gonna move
I said I'm gonna move, baby
I said goin, goin home
I'm going home darling

Produced by Andrew Loog Oldham

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Got Live If You Want It!” EP
(Decca DFE 8620) UK, June 11, 1965

Re: Track Talk: I'm Moving On
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 26, 2011 10:29

this brilliant rearrangement is so totally freakin hot - ahh, just listen to those cats GO!
that must be the greatest rock & roll band in the history of everything

i love the Rolling Stones

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 26, 2011 10:30

Well Now that's a live-song that I really like...Must be the first one for me ...live songs wasn't that common back in -65...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: April 26, 2011 10:46

A strong candidate for my all-time favourite RS recording.

Probably the only RS record where Keith Richard's musical contribution (a largely unheard chug-chugging rhythm guitar) is weaker than everybody elses, though his backing vocals are good. Brian & Mick of course really shine of course, & what a rhythm section! thumbs up

Date: April 26, 2011 10:58

LoFL: but that "largely unheard chug-chugging rhythm guitar" is crucial to the rhythm section -
and yeah "what a rhythm section" indeed! anyone who can resist moving to this number is just ... damaged or worse

it's a shining piece of forever

i love the Rolling Stones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-26 11:24 by with sssoul.

Date: April 26, 2011 11:03

with sssoul
LoFL: but that "largely unheard chug-chugging rhythm guitar" is crucial to therhythm section -
and yeah "what a rhythm section" indeed! anyone who can resist moving to this number is just ... damaged or worse

True! There's a live BBC version where Keith's guitar is mixed louder:

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 26, 2011 11:11

I'm afraid I would scream like a 13 year old girl too, if I was there when they played this song.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 26, 2011 11:25

................... Hank Snow - I'm Moving On/With This Ring, I Thee Wed -- 1950

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 26, 2011 13:10

A really great live song they produced back then, I think there are 3 versions of this song............

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: April 26, 2011 13:50

Rockman

................... Hank Snow - I'm Moving On/With This Ring, I Thee Wed -- 1950

One wonders if Hank appreciated them turning this:

[/url]

into this:

[url=

]

Date: April 26, 2011 13:59

NICOS
A really great live song they produced back then, I think there are 3 versions of this song............

Really? I only know the GLIYWI & (bootleg) BBC version.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: April 26, 2011 14:29

with sssoul
anyone who can resist moving to this number is just ... damaged or worse

Dear Ms sssoul,

This one leaves me cold ... guess I'm damaged or worse. smileys with beer

The Stones take all the country-fried twang out of the original and speed it up. No thanks, I'll stick with Hank (Snow or Thompson).

Drew

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 26, 2011 23:55

Sleepy City
NICOS

Your right "Sleepy City", but I have a version that sounds different then the you mention.

Im movin on from "Crackin Up.Live 64.65"

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: April 27, 2011 00:17

Absolutely love it; part of my Stones' Top 10

Date: April 27, 2011 00:21

One of my alltime favorite Stones tracks. The intial fade-in on December's Children's version is awesome.

Date: April 27, 2011 00:38

NICOS
Sleepy City
NICOS

Your right "Sleepy City", but I have a version that sounds different then the you mention.

Im movin on from "Crackin Up.Live 64.65"

This is from 'Ready, Steady, Go!', & I have it too (minus the crackles) but totally forgot about it.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 27, 2011 07:28

Absolute menace. They flatten the audience with this one.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: April 27, 2011 07:49

I like this song, but I'm not sure why everyone overlooks Ray CHarles version, which seems to be the version that the Stones based their rendition on. Sadly I can't find a version to post, but it was recorded during Charles' Atlantic years.

Date: April 27, 2011 08:56

drewmaster
Dear Ms sssoul,
This one leaves me cold ... guess I'm damaged or worse. smileys with beer

there there - you poor thing [backing away warily]

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: April 27, 2011 09:35

I'd still be interested if the great EP GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT was really recorded live in concert or if they used some basic tracks and overdubbed most of the music in the studio. The bad quality of the live LP from 1966 makes me suspicious...

Anyway, the EP is really great because you get an impression of how the Stones & theis audience sounded ín concert in those early days. This ruacious track reminds me of the raucious 'Hey Crawdaddy'live recording from the Paris Olympia. I regret that there is no such good-sounding recording of the latter song.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: April 27, 2011 11:54

They did it in Berlin, Sept 15 1965, available on 'The Riot Show', not the greatest recording unfortunaely

Date: April 27, 2011 12:54

vox12string
They did it in Berlin, Sept 15 1965, available on 'The Riot Show', not the greatest recording unfortunaely

I'm not familier with this recording, do you have more details (full track listing etc)?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 27, 2011 15:52

Happy Jack
I like this song, but I'm not sure why everyone overlooks Ray CHarles version, which seems to be the version that the Stones based their rendition on. Sadly I can't find a version to post, but it was recorded during Charles' Atlantic years.

Not the original, of course, but you might like this: Ray Charles with Travis Tritt: (not YouTube so I can't embed it)

[www.dailymotion.com]

Posted by: cookwazzahoe ()
Date: April 27, 2011 16:07

Rockman

Elvis Presley also did a decent version of 'I'm Moving On'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-27 16:08 by cookwazzahoe.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: April 27, 2011 16:51

Sleepy City
vox12string

I'm not familier with this recording, do you have more details (full track listing etc)?

'The Riot Show' vinyl rip is available courtesy of stonesmuziekfan
[www.iorr.org]

I should have mentioned that the show is also part of VGP 248 'Ready Steady Stones'
In mp3 courtesy of stonesmuziekfan
[www.iorr.org]

and in flac courtesy of Keessie
[www.iorr.org]

I stress again that it's not the greatest of recordings, but still, I'm thankful that we have even this

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 9, 2014 01:13

I think I heard the live version first from DECEMBER'S CHILDREN (I didn't usually buy US versions, but for some reason that was an exception, probably due to get an odd track like "I'm Movin' On" and "The Singer Not The Song". The British EP GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! was rather hard to find in the early 80's in Finland, or at least with the resources of a poor teenager boy like me).

Anyway, I still remember what a huge impression the track did to me. Damn, they were rocking hard! So much power in the band, the rhythm section (Bill, Charlie and Keith) offer the solid foundation, which gives enough room for Mick and Brian shine. The groove they got into in the latter part of the song, more driven by an intuition than a strict plan (like with "I'm Alright"), shows the unique cohesion of the band, one mind, five organs. And it hasn't one inch of its charm during the years. Yeah, it is not probably produced too well with the day's recording technique (what a beautiful mess!), but I think with "I'm Alright" from the same EP, it forms the best sonical testimony of the "Stonesmania" back then - teh audience is wild and the band is hot. The energy involved from both sides is beyond incredible!

More recent, and interesting discussion of the track:[www.iorr.org]

- Doxa

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 9, 2014 07:38

They sound like a bad garage band in this one to me. I imagine it was exciting for that time period but it was before my time, quite literally. Poorly done, rushed, 12 bar blues by today's standards.....

Maybe you have to compare it to the music of the time to pick up on the energy everyone here is talking about. I get Chuck Berry and his similar grooves but I obviously just don't get this one. peace

Posted by: 1967fan ()
Date: October 9, 2014 12:39

You all know Hank Snow was Canadian right? I had to look again when I read a recording was from Edmontonsmiling smiley.

Date: October 9, 2014 12:51

Naturalust
They sound like a bad garage band in this one to me. I imagine it was exciting for that time period but it was before my time, quite literally. Poorly done, rushed, 12 bar blues by today's standards.....

Maybe you have to compare it to the music of the time to pick up on the energy everyone here is talking about. I get Chuck Berry and his similar grooves but I obviously just don't get this one. peace

It's the energy, mate + Brian's slide smiling smiley

PS: The Live In England '65 EP-version from Charlie Is My Darling Deluxe is even better, imo. Better sound, better performance thumbs up

From the 18:05 mark. Brian's best live performance ever?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-09 12:57 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 9, 2014 13:00

....some things happened ta ole Naturalust since he finally
got himself a friggin' telly and watched Breakin' Bad .... Start Me Up a couple of days ago now I'm Movin' On .....Piece

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1993
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home