Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Track Talk: Little Red Rooster
Posted by: René ()
Date: July 16, 2012 11:10

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

Little Red Rooster
(Willie Dixon)

Regent Sound Studios, London, UK, September 2, 1964

Mick Jagger - vocals, harmonica
Keith Richards - acoustic guitar
Charlie Watts - drums
Bill Wyman - bass
Brian Jones - electric slide guitar

I am the little red rooster, too lazy to crow for day
I am the little red rooster, too lazy to crow for day
Keep everything in the farmyard
Upset in ev'ry way

The dogs begin to barkin', hounds begin to howl
Dogs begin to barkin', hounds begin to howl
Watch out strange cat people
Little red rooster's on the prowl

If you see my little red rooster, please drive him home
If you see my little red rooster, please drive him home
Ain't had no peace in the farmyard
Since my little red rooster's been gone

Produced by Andrew Loog Oldham

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Little Red Rooster / Off The Hook” 7” single
(Decca F 12014) UK, November 13, 1964

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-23 10:00 by René.

Re: Track Talk: Little Red Rooster
Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: July 16, 2012 11:24

Willie Dixon "had" a little red rooster.

Howlin' Wolf had one too,

But Mick WAS the rooster himself.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 16, 2012 12:02

Absolutely sensational song that has sex oozing out of every single note. This was Brian's baby and for him to get a blues song and especially a thinly-disguised ode to a cock to No 1 in the UK charts was incredible.
"If you see my little red rooster, please drive him home". Indeed!

It's such a moving song that I can't see why the Stones ever left it off their set list. When they exhumed it for the first time in about 12 years at Knebworth it sent shivers up my spine.

This is a pretty amazing film - is it from the Red Skelton Show?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-16 12:14 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: July 16, 2012 13:08

Silver Dagger
Absolutely sensational song that has sex oozing out of every single note. This was Brian's baby and for him to get a blues song and especially a thinly-disguised ode to a cock to No 1 in the UK charts was incredible.

Yes, sensational is the word to describe this one. I would add that it not only drips sex from every note, but foreboding and menace and mystery and attitude as well. And you can trace the lineage of so much of the Stones later work to this one ... Midnight Rambler, for example, owes a great deal to LRR.

To me, this is Willie Dixon's finest moment as a songwriter; it just grabs the listener and won't let go (unlike the tepid Little Baby, discussed a few weeks ago). And the Stones knock it out of the park every time, from their shimmering 1964 masterpiece, to the '89 live slow-burn that features Clapton's devastating guitar solo, to Keith's haunting acoustic rehearsal with the great James Cotton, this one always blows the roof off the joint.

Drew

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: July 16, 2012 13:12

Let's not forget El Mocambo, 1976:

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 16, 2012 13:46

Mick played the harmonica on this.

Perfect track!

I'm not convinced thatnit was recorded at Regent Sound though. The clarity and reverb makes it sound more like a Chess recording.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-16 13:48 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 16, 2012 14:37

His Majesty

Perfect track!

I'm not convinced thatnit was recorded at Regent Sound though. The clarity and reverb makes it sound more like a Chess recording.

I thought Jagger did the harmonica indeed, and I remember some pictures of the recording session of LLR, with Jones on a Tele with rosewood board and Richards on his Harmony acoustic. I thought the pictures where from Chess studio.

Mathijs

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 16, 2012 15:19

It is 100% a Regent Sound recording. It has the same sound as You Can't Catch Me. Listen to the drums.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 16, 2012 15:35

This song was the first I heard of the Rolling Stones, and it was 1964. I thought then that it sounded just as good as what Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee (earlier bluesfavorites) played ...thumbs up Top Class Stones!

2 1 2 0

Date: July 16, 2012 19:22

Mathijs
His Majesty

Perfect track!

I thought Jagger did the harmonica indeed, and I remember some pictures of the recording session of LLR, with Jones on a Tele with rosewood board and Richards on his Harmony acoustic. I thought the pictures where from Chess studio.

Mathijs

The picture in Wymans Rolling With The Stones, supposedly from the LRR session(which I doubt), shows them in Regent Sound.

Keith plays 12 string acoustic on LRR though, the picture shows him playing a 6 string Framus acoustic with cut away.

Date: July 16, 2012 19:29

Blueranger
It is 100% a Regent Sound recording. It has the same sound as You Can't Catch Me. Listen to the drums.

thumbs up

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 16, 2012 21:35

Howlin' Wolf did a great version that included Eric Clapton, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts among others

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 16, 2012 21:47

I'd love to comment on this, but I'm just too lazy to crow for day.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 16, 2012 22:14

I recall reading somewhere that the band recorded the track and then Brian came in later and overdubbed his guitar?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 16, 2012 22:18

No doubt one of the Stones highlight of the early sixties..........I remember hearing this song for the first time halfway the sixties when discovering the stones records from my older brothers and sisters..................can't imagine someone dislike this song

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-16 22:42 by NICOS.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 16, 2012 22:23

doesn't exactly challenge wolf's magnificent recording, nor sam cooke's either (his is by far my fave version)...but it's one of their better early cracks at the format...

Date: July 16, 2012 22:40

DGA35
I recall reading somewhere that the band recorded the track and then Brian came in later and overdubbed his guitar?

Just a bit of nonsense from Phil May.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: July 16, 2012 22:48

Brian Jones shines on this one. If only he could have kept playing guitar instead of going kuckoo with kotos and kazoos . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-16 22:52 by neptune.

Date: July 16, 2012 22:53

neptune
If only he could have kept playing guitar instead of moving on to kotos and kazoos . . .

It's great that he moved on to dulcimers, recorders, vibraphone's, marimba's, piano's, mellotrons etc etc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-16 23:14 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 16, 2012 22:57

This song reminds me of Brian Jones. The point when the Stone's were unashamedly ripping off the black blues artists and about to sell it back to the uptight whitey's in America.

They do an amazing job with this cover, for me they reinforce the idea that it's OK to play other people's music, even record it.

Thanks Rene. peace

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 16, 2012 23:14

neptune
Brian Jones shines on this one. If only he could have kept playing guitar instead of going kuckoo with kotos and kazoos . . .

Fortunately he didn't stay with the guitar -he was quite lousy at it. Without Jones and his forays we wouldn't have had the fantastic Aftermath to Beggars period.

Mathijs

Date: July 16, 2012 23:17

Mathijs

Fortunately he didn't stay with the guitar -he was quite lousy at it.

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 16, 2012 23:24

A fantastic blues song that The Rolling Stones turned into a hit record. Amazing that a somewhat obscure blues song was a hit for white teenagers. Full of sexual menace, showing Jagger's unbridled potential. Lovely slide, and Charlie is exquisite. I also really like the Love You Live version, the smokey club feel with some fantastic slide and vocals. The Flashpoint version was completely off the mark, they make it sound more like I'm a Man than Little Red Rooster.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 16, 2012 23:46

StonesTod
doesn't exactly challenge wolf's magnificent recording, nor sam cooke's either (his is by far my fave version)...but it's one of their better early cracks at the format...

Cooke's version is great, too. With Billy Preston on organ.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 16, 2012 23:50

tomk
StonesTod

a sixteen-year old billy...and he gets a shout-out on record from sam...

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: July 17, 2012 00:29

His Majesty
Perfect track!

It really is. What makes LRR sheer perfection, to me, is that every single note, and every inflection in Jagger's voice, is essential. The song breathes. And, the pauses in between the notes provide as much drama (or more) than the notes themselves.

The remarkable spareness of this track proves that less really is more.

Drew

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 17, 2012 00:30

Perfect track and there are really just three versions: the studio version, the LYL version and the Knebworth version. I guess there are many good live versions from the 60s too.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 17, 2012 00:31

Four versions with Keiths recent solo gig.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 17, 2012 00:50

64 Studio cut ...Perfect Stones and ultimate version....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 17, 2012 04:06

tomk
StonesTod

I think it shows the Stone's genius. They were able to take the Wolf versions 'uptown' without losing any of the emotion. Brian's slide is sublime and the effect is haunting. There's nothing superficial about this cut.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1896
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home