Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Springsteen and McCartney silenced by curfew
Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 15, 2012 23:36

[entertainment.msnbc.msn.com]

Pretty weak of the authorities, IMO.

Re: OT: Springsteen and McCartney silenced by curfew
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 16, 2012 00:10

Sooner or later, someone had to tell Springsteen that his shows are way too long.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: July 16, 2012 00:32

ab

According to the mayor of London being interviewed on the radio today, it was the promotors and not the "authorities" who pulled the plug.

Either way, I'm glad this concert wasn't allowed to continue regardless of who it was disturbing. Springsteen should've behaved like a professional and paced his gig accordingly. There's no excuse for running way over schedule and then soaking your knickers when your mic is turned off.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: July 16, 2012 00:55

It's only rock'n'roll for god's sakes and breaking a few rules is part of the game.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 16, 2012 01:12

WorriedAboutYou
ab

According to the mayor of London being interviewed on the radio today, it was the promotors and not the "authorities" who pulled the plug.

Either way, I'm glad this concert wasn't allowed to continue regardless of who it was disturbing. Springsteen should've behaved like a professional and paced his gig accordingly. There's no excuse for running way over schedule and then soaking your knickers when your mic is turned off.
Springsteen has broken curfews for years.If they fine him,he pays the fine. This,was a legendary moment,that should have been allowed to play out. What the uptight rich folk nearby might get uptight. Screw them!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 16, 2012 04:18

Not just rich folk nearby. Hard Rock Calling is a very loud open-air show in the middle of a big overcrowded city - Aerosmith's performance there a few years ago could be heard several miles away. OK, so Springsteen thinks he needn't worry about deadlines as long as he pays his fine - he can easily afford it. But that doesn't help the people trying to sleep, and pulling the plug does.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 16, 2012 05:11

People are trying to sleep? At 10.40 on a Saturday night?

HRC isnt that loud in terms of outdoor shows - I was at it in 2009, London shows in general are pretty quiet compared to other cities.

And the city must have the earliest curfews in the western world (I think its even 10 pm on Sundays or something). Even the Stones INDOOR shows at the 02 in 2007 were subject to ridiculously early curfew laws with the final night being earlier as it was a Sunday.

Granted, people have to sleep and that's a fair enough counter-argument - but how come everywhere else seems to manage to allow gigs to go on a bit later? I think the Rock in Rio gig in Lisbon last month went on until almost 3 am.

Fair enough, expecting something comparable to that is unrealistic - but 10.30 curfews in 2012 in one of the world's leading entertainment capitals on a Saturday night? Jesus wept.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-16 05:12 by Gazza.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 16, 2012 05:15

Gazza
People are trying to sleep? At 10.40 on a Saturday night?

HRC isnt that loud in terms of outdoor shows - I was at it in 2009, London shows in general are pretty quiet compared to other cities.

And the city must have the earliest curfews in the western world (I think its even 10 pm on Sundays or something). Even the Stones INDOOR shows at the 02 in 2007 were subject to ridiculously early curfew laws with the final night being earlier as it was a Sunday.

Granted, people have to sleep and that's a fair enough counter-argument - but how come everywhere else seems to manage to allow gigs to go on a bit later? I think the Rock in Rio gig in Lisbon last month went on until almost 3 am.

Fair enough, expecting something comparable to that is unrealistic - but 10.30 curfews in 2012 in one of the world's leading entertainment capitals on a Saturday night? Jesus wept.

Don't the Portugese take an afternoon nap though...or something?

Date: July 16, 2012 05:16

Didn't know Jesus was alive.

Did Bruce tell 'em to get off his cloud? Pretty weak of London. What a load.

Posted by: sonyzzz ()
Date: July 16, 2012 05:24

Pricks...

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 16, 2012 05:28

Didn't the Stones Wembley Stadium shows in 1990 have to stop at the same time?

Date: July 16, 2012 05:31

Well, New York City has turned Disney just as well. All the big cities are doing it.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 16, 2012 05:35

DGA35

Yes.

With the noise reduced and minimal fireworks because at a show by someone else a year or two earlier some local woman's pet budgie took a heart attack and died as a result. She complained to Brent council and they introduced pretty strict regulations as a result.

True story (according to an interview with Mick Jagger around the time which was broadcast on BBC radio).

When the Stones played Twickenham in 2006, the show started about 5-10 minutes late as a last minute rainstorm meant the stage had to be cleared of puddles. Instead of going over the 10.30 deadline and paying a fine of what was something like £5,000 (I stand to be corrected, but it was a piddling amount) they cut the show from the standard 20 songs to 19 instead. And stuck with 19 for the rest of the European tour! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-16 05:36 by Gazza.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: July 16, 2012 05:45

Boy, I'm waiting for some of posters here to tell those kids to get off their lawn. I can understand trying to get some sleep, but the show wouldn't have continued into the wee hours. Besides, it's a bit like complaining about the noise when you move near an airport.

Date: July 16, 2012 05:47

thebritisharecomingthebritisharecoming

Date: July 16, 2012 05:53

Well, some of us have bad words for certain Brits...

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 16, 2012 07:34

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Didn't know Jesus was alive.

Did Bruce tell 'em to get off his cloud? Pretty weak of London. What a load.

Jesus IS alive. Don't you know? He goes by the name of Bruce Springsteen (at least to some people, on this board even).

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 16, 2012 07:45

Here in SF, that Outside Lands festival shuts down at 10 PM. It's only about a mile away from where I am, but I can barely hear it. Maybe it's the wind or something.
Actually, most of SF shuts down rather early. Most of the complaints for outdoor shows here seem to be more about drunk and stoned people pissing on people's lawns and houses and the garbage they leave rather than the volume. Hey, I love R&R as much as all of us, but I don't want drunks pissing on my lawn (except me).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-16 07:45 by tomk.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 16, 2012 08:05

It seems to be a trend to have big concerts in the city centre. Well, if you do that you must consider the environment. In Stockholm closing line used to be 24.00. But I think it's closer to 23.00 now. 22.30 seems a little silly. Maybe they should have chosen another spot?

Another thing is the silly servility some shows entertainers like Bruce or Sir Paul. Neither of them are Messiah! The world won't go under if we miss out on one of their songs. Their songs means nothing by the way. It's just pop entertainment. Nothing else.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 16, 2012 10:30

The Stones
It's only rock'n'roll for god's sakes and breaking a few rules is part of the game.

How naive! BS's tour's a multi-million corporation on wheels!

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: July 16, 2012 13:46

Gazza
DGA35

Yes.

With the noise reduced and minimal fireworks because at a show by someone else a year or two earlier some local woman's pet budgie took a heart attack and died as a result. She complained to Brent council and they introduced pretty strict regulations as a result.

True story (according to an interview with Mick Jagger around the time which was broadcast on BBC radio).

When the Stones played Twickenham in 2006, the show started about 5-10 minutes late as a last minute rainstorm meant the stage had to be cleared of puddles. Instead of going over the 10.30 deadline and paying a fine of what was something like £5,000 (I stand to be corrected, but it was a piddling amount) they cut the show from the standard 20 songs to 19 instead. And stuck with 19 for the rest of the European tour! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Yes I was at that show. It caught everyone off guard. They were due to do an encore and the big finally graphics and everything were waiting for about a minute before being set off belatedly. I think they missed ycagwyw from memory though I could be wrong.

Date: July 16, 2012 15:00

Live8, which took place in Hyde Park in 2005, overran by over two hours and finished after midnight which left a number of people unable to get home. Few people worried about that as no-one wanted to miss the 'for one night only' reformed Pink Floyd performance....

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: July 16, 2012 15:34

I was there on Saturday. It was annoying but the boss did start 30 minutes late. I think the council went to far especially given that the whole evening was so quiet.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: July 16, 2012 16:04

It is extremely surprising that this happened in London. Yet I must admit that it is a sign of intelligence if concerts are not too loud.

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: July 16, 2012 16:28

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 16, 2012 16:36

As far as the Springsteen show goes, I couldn't imagine watching that dude for more than 5 minutes. I say hooray for putting him in his place.

That picture of the pelican struggling in the gulf oil spill is tasteless WeLoveToPlayTheBlues. Your decision to post it as a statement against Brits even more so. peace

Date: July 16, 2012 16:42

Naturalust
As far as the Springsteen show goes, I couldn't imagine watching that dude for more than 5 minutes. I say hooray for putting him in his place.

That picture of the pelican struggling in the gulf oil spill is tasteless WeLoveToPlayTheBlues. Your decision to post it as a statement against Brits even more so. peace

Perhaps you missed "certain Brits" in that.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 16, 2012 16:50

That's why the Stones shows at Wembley Stadium used to start 8:20pm always, because they took 2h 10 minutes. Wembley Curfew used to be 10:30pm, and every minute after that was very expensive. Penalty wise.

It sounds stupid to cut the power, but I think it is even more stupid to start the show too late. We all know these shows are "timed", i.e. they know how long the shows last, and they decide when to start. It's simply basic calculations. If you need 3 hours then start 3 hours before the curfew, simple as that. The Stones do that in every city, it is not rocket science.

In 10-20 years or so we will be the ones who complain about noisy music when we are trying to get a good sleep at 10:30pm...

Bjornulf

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: July 16, 2012 17:16

HEY NOW ... at least they GOT to play. Years ago, Yale Bowl in New Haven, CT
mulled over the prospects of a McCartney show, but ultimately the stuck up
WHITE PERSONS neighborhoods nearby shot it down. They got their big bands,
we can't have our R+R? Wussup with that noise?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 16, 2012 17:20

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Naturalust

Perhaps you missed "certain Brits" in that.

Tasteless none the less. That animal is struggling for it's life. peace

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1477
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home