Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 53
Re: OT: Jimmy Page & Robert Plant No Quarter Unledded Revisited
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 1, 2014 18:25

Hairball
Bluzdude...that was me in the foot tall top hat!!! haha, just kidding... grinning smiley
I missed the P/P tour that you mentioned as I was living in the UK at the time.
I did see the Page 'Outrider' solo tour at the Forum though...I believe that was '88.

I remember that show. It was when I first met my wife. From the point of hearing an instrumental version of Stairway, to this day she thought it was the worst concert she has ever been to (she did see Zeppelin in the 70's). She kept asking me what I saw in it, I kept telling her, it was the guitar playing, silly.grinning smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 1, 2014 18:40

BluzDude
Hairball
Bluzdude...that was me in the foot tall top hat!!! haha, just kidding... grinning smiley
I did see the Page 'Outrider' solo tour at the Forum though...I believe that was '88.

I remember that show. It was when I first met my wife. From the point of hearing an instrumental version of Stairway, to this day she thought it was the worst concert she has ever been to (she did see Zeppelin in the 70's). She kept asking me what I saw in it, I kept telling her, it was the guitar playing, silly.grinning smiley

I was also at one of the Arms Benefit shows at the Forum in '83, and remember Page looking and sounding a bit "off".
Being my fist time seeing him live, and after years of being a Zeppelin fan, I was slightly disappointed but still mesmerized by the whole spectacle.
Jeff Beck was out of this world!

After seeing Page solo, Plant solo, Page/Plant, The Firm, Arms Benfit, etc., etc. throughout the years, I'm still saddened that I was never able to see Led Zeppelin live.
I guess those Page/Plant shows in '95 are as close as I'll ever get...

Date: April 1, 2014 18:52

Hairball
BluzDude
Hairball

I was also at one of the Arms Benefit shows at the Forum in '83, and remember Page looking and sounding a bit "off".
Being my fist time seeing him live, and after years of being a Zeppelin fan, I was slightly disappointed but still mesmerized by the whole spectacle.
Jeff Beck was out of this world!

After seeing Page solo, Plant solo, Page/Plant, The Firm, Arms Benfit, etc., etc. throughout the years, I'm still saddened that I was never able to see Led Zeppelin live.
I guess those Page/Plant shows in '95 are as close as I'll ever get...

I think you and I have attended a lot of the same shows. I do feel blessed that I was able to see Led Zeppelin at all 16 of their Forum shows and twice at the San Diego Sports Arena, but then again, as a young guitarist, Zeppelin was my life. Everything else was just Rock n Roll (which was fine) or nothing.

Date: April 1, 2014 19:04

Cheers to that Bluzdude! thumbs up

The closest chance I ever had was in '77 with my older brother, but I was only 13 at the time and he had higher priorities than to drag his pesky little brother along. drinking smiley

With that said, he made up for it throughout the following years by taking me to some of the most memorable concerts I've ever attended:
My first two Stones shows at the Coliseum '81, Pink Floyd The Wall at the Sports arena '80 (twice), and the list goes on and on...

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: April 2, 2014 01:31

StonedInTokyo
Sighunt
I've wanted to delve further into this music and acquire some other high quality recordings either on CD or pro-shot DVD from the No Quarter period that featured Plant and Page. Are there other shows that you recommend featuring the additional musicians doing Zep tunes via like the Unledded MTV show that you can steer me to?

IMHO, although there isn't a bad show in the bunch when the tour began in Feb '95 Jimmy didn't quite have his chops back. Yet as the world tour rolled on he only got better and better. He was at his best during the 2nd US leg in Oct '95, but the set lists in Japan (Feb '96) proved to be a bit more adventurous.

I attended several shows in the US & Europe and as I said, I don't think you'll find a bad one in the bunch. FWIW, I think this pro-shot video from Irvine on Oct 3, 1995 is arguably the best 1995 video source in circulation:

Thank you to all for your great suggestions.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 2, 2014 10:32

Turning To Gold
It's been common knowledge for years that one of the main reasons Jones was not included on the tour and albums is because, a million dollars split three ways is a lot less than a million dollars split two ways. Plus Plant's daughter was going out with the bass player that they did use.

The Unledded project was first offered to Plant alone; he said he wanted Page to join him, which he would presumably not have done if he was in it just for the money. Charlie Jones (who was actually married to his daughter by this time) had been the bassist in his solo band for some time. The real reason for the (very badly handled) exclusion of Jones was, as mentioned before, because it wasn't intended to be a relaunch of Zeppelin, no matter how it actually turned out.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 2, 2014 15:37

my problem with this was the reworked versions .did not care for this .on the next page /plant tour which was 1998 much better .

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: April 2, 2014 15:57

I loved the Page/Plant project, especially the Unledded stuff. Very well done and best of all not an embarrassment to the legacy of Led Zeppelin. I felt the same way about the one off reunion in 2007. I am glad in a way that they have reunited only sporadically, even if 2/3 of the them would prefer to give it another go.

Re: Rolling Stones vs. Led Zeppelin
Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: April 2, 2014 17:15

dcba
I just dug out the excellent NYC 1971-09-03 show and one thing that strikes me is that the Page/Plant complicity onstage sounds kinda fake. Like two ambitious men who understood the money they could make out of their business partnership.

It's well-known Page hired Plant for their 1st US trek (late 68 - early 69) because he hadn't found anybody and he badly needed someone.

Well that's one thing you can't say about the Mick/Keith duo. They were completely symbiotic!

Bingo!

Re: OT: Led Zeppelin stuff
Posted by: leatherjacket ()
Date: April 2, 2014 17:23

saw an open air show in cologne....pretty bad show,
the shadow of a great band.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: April 2, 2014 17:44

leatherjacket
saw an open air show in cologne....pretty bad show,
the shadow of a great band.

Just kidding? So many others feel it was one of the best nights on the tour despite the rain:

vid

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: April 2, 2014 17:51

Hairball
Thanks for that StonedInTokyo!
This was the one of the shows I attended, and have never seen this...very clean!
Didn't they play two shows at Irvine Ampitheater?
Or was it somewhere else in Southern California? Greek Theater maybe? Or Pacific Ampitheater?

I still have a baseball cap from that tour!
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: After a little digging, I just found this site that says they played twice at the Forum in May, and then came back to SoCal in October and played twice at Irvine Ampitheater.
I know I saw one of the May Forum dates, but am not sure which one.
Same for the Irvine shows...not sure which of the two. Will have to dig out the ticket stub archives.

>PagePlant

Audio and video from all four shows are in circulation. I'm still in touch with the original video-taper (audience sources) who owns the master tapes. All pro-shot footage from the tour was placed into a Bay Area storage site.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: April 3, 2014 04:07

dcba
I just dug out the excellent NYC 1971-09-03 show and one thing that strikes me is that the Page/Plant complicity onstage sounds kinda fake. Like two ambitious men who understood the money they could make out of their business partnership.

It's well-known Page hired Plant for their 1st US trek (late 68 - early 69) because he hadn't found anybody and he badly needed someone.

Well that's one thing you can't say about the Mick/Keith duo. They were completely symbiotic!

No your claim about why Page brought Plant into the band is an exaggeration. Yes he had not gotten the singers he originally wanted, like Terry Reid or Steve Marriott, but he hired Plant because he liked the man voice not out of desperation and he got Bonham as a bonus.

They certainly don't have the same childhood connection Mick and Keef have but they ended up making brilliant music together.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 3, 2014 09:06

oldschool

dcba

No your claim about why Page brought Plant into the band is an exaggeration. Yes he had not gotten the singers he originally wanted, like Terry Reid or Steve Marriott, but he hired Plant because he liked the man voice not out of desperation and he got Bonham as a bonus.

They certainly don't have the same childhood connection Mick and Keef have but they ended up making brilliant music together.

Totally agree.

Date: April 3, 2014 18:47

...Like two ambitious men who understood the money they could make out of their business partnership.

ya, right....thats why when most bands played 80 to 90 minutes shows, they were on stage for at least 2 1/2 hours, even when they had only released 2 albums....they just wanted to take the money and rungrinning smiley

OT: Led Zeppelin to Reissue First 3 LPs With Unreleased Songs.
Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: April 23, 2014 23:26

Led Zeppelin is stirring once again. A previously unheard song will be aired, alongside dozens of unreleased live and studio recordings, after the legendary rockers scoured their vaults for an extensive reissue programme.
"La La", recorded during the sessions for Led Zeppelin II, the band’s 1969 album which defined their riff-heavy sound, will be made available for the first time on a companion disc of unheard recordings when the record is re-released in June.

Jimmy Page, Zeppelin’s guitarist, has re-mastered each of Zeppelin’s albums and raided the vaults for rarities, which will accompany each release in the reissue programme.

“The material on the companion discs presents a portal to the time of the recording of Led Zeppelin,” said Page, 70. “It is a selection of work in progress with rough mixes, backing tracks, alternate versions, and new material recorded at the time.”

All nine of the band’s studio albums will be released in chronological order, beginning with Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin II, and Led Zeppelin III. The band, who sold 300 million albums, also recently agreed to add their catalogue to the Spotify streaming service.

The renewed burst of Zeppelin activity will raise hopes that the heavy rock pioneers may tour once again. Their 2007 reunion gig at the O2 Arena was rapturously received. But whilst Page and bassist John Paul Jones are keen to hit the road, vocalist Robert Plant has declined, preferring to pursue his Grammy-winning solo career.

Re: OT: Led Zeppelin to Reissue First 3 LPs With Unreleased Songs.
Date: April 24, 2014 00:04

Not surprising...

Robert Plant: ‘Zero’ Chance of Led Zeppelin Reunion

> NoZep
By Annie Reuter

Bad news for Led Zeppelin fans: the band won’t be performing live soon– if ever.
In an interview with the BBC about the reissue of Led Zeppelin’s first three albums, guitarist Jimmy Page said the likelihood of a band reunion show is slim.
“I’m sure people would love to hear it,” Page said. “I’m not the one to be asking, I don’t sing.”
Singer Robert Plant was a little more dire when asked about a reunion show. Along with reiterating Page’s previous statement, he said the chance was “zero.”

Looks like fans will just have to settle for the upcoming bonus disc packaged with the reissue of the band debut album, which will include a Zeppelin show recorded at L’Olympia in Paris on Oct. 10, 1969.

In the meantime, watch the trailer that boasts snippets of Led Zeppelin performing at the 1969 show, as well as vintage images from the era, including concert posters and ticket stubs.

The deluxe editions of Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin II and Led Zeppelin III will be released on June 3, launching an “extensive reissue program” that will include all nine of the band’s albums in chronological order. All of the albums will be remastered by Page himself. The deluxe version of each album will feature a second disc of unreleased music related to that album.

________________________________________________________________________________

Robert Plant: There is ‘Zero’ Chance of Led Zeppelin Performing Again

NoZep
By Dave Lifton

The upcoming reissues of the first three Led Zeppelin albums has put its members in front of the media again. As so often happens in these situations, questions of a possible reunion get asked, only to be shot down. This time, it was Robert Plant who deflated everyone’s hopes, emphatically saying that it was never going to happen again.

This morning (April 23), Plant and Jimmy Page were interviewed by the BBC promoting the reissues. NME is reporting that Page was asked if they would ever get back together for another show along the lines of the 2007 concert that resulted in the ‘Celebration Day‘ movie and album.

“I’m sure people would love to hear it,” Page said. “I’m not the one to be asking, I don’t sing.”

But when Plant was asked about the chances of it happening again, his answer was a declarative “zero.”

Regardless, the reissues seem to be keeping Page plenty occupied, and has given him a bit of a lesson on how his approach to playing guitar has changed over the years. “My enthusiasm sometimes got in the way of finesse,” he said. “I listen to it and go, ‘Wow, why didn’t I shut up a bit?’ I kind of overcooked it.” But he still adds, “It’s undeniable that we’re good. The band was the real deal.”

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: April 24, 2014 01:10

Wow - Page is 70!eye popping smiley

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: April 24, 2014 01:58

I just got Celebration Day on Blu Ray and I cranked it up on my surround sound system and I was blown away by how good those guys performed at that show. Definitely a keeper. It's funny but I have always been a casual fan, but I'm finding myself going through a "Zeppelin" phase lately where 'm playing their stuff almost daily.

Date: April 24, 2014 04:18

More from the BBC, including excerpts from new releases:

> MoreZep

Robert Plant: "These things aren't to study. They're to turn up very loud and say, hey, once upon at time, everything was just as easy as this."

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 24, 2014 04:36

<<Wow - Page is 70!>>

Yes, Page is (19)70, and some day he'll be (19)80. Life just goes in through the out door, doesn't it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-24 04:37 by stonehearted.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: April 24, 2014 05:10

How can you seriously even compare the two? Completely different bands with totally different sounds so telling which is best isn't really possible.

Rolling Stones vs. Led Zeppelin
Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: April 24, 2014 07:18

Not really happy about the changing of the title of this thread. The spirit of the thread was to stir debate comparing the two bands, and merging the thread with other Led Zeppelin related threads dilutes its original purpose.

New (?) Zeppelin Recordings
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: April 24, 2014 23:01

I apologize if previously posted
LONDON (Reuters) - Legendary rockers Led Zeppelin said on Wednesday they will include previously unreleased songs in the first batch of reissues of their nine studio albums, including a version of their pulsating "Whole Lotta Love"

The reissues, remastered by guitarist Jimmy Page, will be launched on June 3 with deluxe editions of "Led Zeppelin", "Led Zeppelin II" and "Led Zeppelin III". Each album will include a second disc of unreleased music related to that album.

"The material on the companion discs presents a portal to the time of the recording of Led Zeppelin," Page is quoted as saying in a statement from the band.

"It is a selection of work in progress with rough mixes, backing tracks, alternate versions, and new material recorded at the time."

The companion audio for the band's 1969 debut album "Led Zeppelin" features a previously unreleased performance recorded in October of that year at the Olympia Theatre in Paris. The nine-song set features seven tracks from the album, including a 15-minute version of "Dazed And Confused".

"Led Zeppelin II" features some of the band's most famous tracks including "Ramble On" and "Heartbreaker" as well as "Whole Lotta Love," a fixture in the pantheon of classic rock ‘n' roll songs.

Its companion audio contains alternate mixes of five songs from the album, including "Whole Lotta Love", plus backing tracks to "Thank You" and "Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman)," and the previously unreleased track "La La."

The nine tracks featured on the companion audio to "Led Zeppelin III" include outtakes of songs from the album as well as three previously unheard compositions: "Jennings Farm Blues", "Bathroom Sound", and the band's take on the blues classics "Keys To The Highway/Trouble In Mind."

Led Zeppelin was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1995, received a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 2005 and a year later was awarded the Polar Music Prize in Stockholm.

Founding members John Paul Jones, Page and Robert Plant - along with Jason Bonham, the son of drummer John Bonham, who died in 1980, the year the band broke up - gave a tribute concert at London's O2 Arena in 2007 for the late Ahmet Ertegun, founder of the band's label, Atlantic.

Band members have since discounted the prospect of another reunion.

OT: New (?) Zeppelin Recordings
Date: April 24, 2014 23:22

I wonder if the companion disks will be available without having to repurchase the original material....OK, they say it's remastered, but so was Mothership which hardly sounded different than the originals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-24 23:23 by BluzDude.

Date: April 25, 2014 00:26

I don't think so Bluzdude...
I believe the ultimate description of these multi-format releases (deluxe, vinyl, etc.) is buried back in this thread somewhere.
With that said, I think you'll be able to download the new outtakes individually?

Date: April 25, 2014 00:50

Hairball
I don't think so Bluzdude...
I believe the ultimate description of these multi-format releases (deluxe, vinyl, etc.) is buried back in this thread somewhere.
With that said, I think you'll be able to download the new outtakes individually?

If that's the case, I could live with that.

Re: OT: New (?) Zeppelin Recordings
Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: April 25, 2014 15:14

BluzDude
I wonder if the companion disks will be available without having to repurchase the original material....OK, they say it's remastered, but so was Mothership which hardly sounded different than the originals.

The basic 2 disk reissue CD contains the original album on CD1 and the live/outtakes/alternate mixes/demo stuff on CD2.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 25, 2014 16:47

BluzDude

On the issue of Mothership, how annoying...I bought the discs thinking I'd like copies of some of my favourite songs remastered, and found that they are copyright protected, so I can't rip them to my iTunes catalogue.

I know, first world problem, but still.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 25, 2014 17:12

That is crazy treacle and I would be livid. I bought the Japanese box set with all the albums remastered in their original album covers. Very nice collection.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 53

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1793
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home