Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Wole Lotta Yoko
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 3, 2021 11:27

Happened to listen to this yesterday: what a great performance!

The dirty Mac, of course out of tune and messy, but what a heavy groove!

But the real treat is little Yoko wild vocals and Gentlis - I mean Ivry Gentlis - on violin.

I confess I didn't know Gentlis was on violin. Somehow I always thought it was Yoko. But after a couple of repeats, it was too good to be Yoko, so I had to check out.

How the hell did Gentlis end up in the Rock and Roll circus?

Did a little search here on IORR and read it was Brian who invited him!

Stones connections are always a treat!

C

Re: Wole Lotta Yoko
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 3, 2021 19:13

One of the worst songs ever

Posted by: Freebird1959 ()
Date: December 3, 2021 19:31

Yoko Ono.......................Bah!

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: December 3, 2021 19:56

Missus privilege stuff.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 3, 2021 20:07

Whale
Missus privilege stuff.

Indeed it was exactly that, but John obviously thought of her as a true artist... Or did he really? I mean deep down inside?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-03 20:18 by retired_dog.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 4, 2021 00:49

After watching Get Back, I decided to reread Glyn John’s book “Soundman” (a lot of inaccuracies in it, some lies.....)

But the following is on page 125, describing recording the rock n roll circus.

“I was in my booth, way up in the gods, recording the sound for the show, and the area on set where they were playing was obscured from my view. All was going well until I heard this extraordinary noise that sounded like someone stepping on a cat. I panicked thinking that a piece of equipment might be malfunctioning, while peering at the screen to see if it was adversely affecting the guys onstage. All of a sudden a picture appeared of a small figure with a black bag over its head with a mic cable disappearing into it. It turned out to be Yoko, who had decided to contribute to the proceedings. How anyone could have considered her intrusion to be in any way musical is a complete mystery to me”

grinning smiley

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 4, 2021 01:08

I’m opened minded but I find the whole Yoko thing bizarre. Especially her involvement with Lennon’s music.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 4, 2021 01:57

Yoko's cool. Lots of misogony in old rock and roll culture in general and in regard to the Beatles in particular. History will not to be too kind for all that shit. And for a reason.

(Oh yeah, I know all the rednecks and whatever White First wannabe trumpians, plus even the smart ones never bothering to update their thinking (old school rock fans) will attack me. But hey, it's a social media, and everyone is entitled to their as.. le blah blah blah)

- Doxa

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: December 4, 2021 02:09

Doxa
Yoko's cool. Lots of misogony in old rock and roll culture in general and in regard to the Beatles in particular. History will not to be too kind for all that shit. And for a reason.

(Oh yeah, I know all the rednecks and whatever White First wannabe trumpians, plus even the smart ones never bothering to update their thinking (old school rock fans) will attack me. But hey, it's a social media, and everyone is entitled to their as.. le blah blah blah)

- Doxa

you have a point about the misogyny (and racism) she's had to endure and still does

but the i also can't stand whole lotta yoko

some of her solo stuff on the other hand ain't bad

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: December 4, 2021 02:28

I don't think she impressed Chuck Berry winking smiley

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 4, 2021 02:29

Doxa

- Doxa

Yoko might be cool, but whole lotta Yoko is not.
Don’t drag misogyny and race into it.
We’re talking about this performance.

Date: December 4, 2021 06:25

Doxa

- Doxa

Yoko's not a victim of misogony or racism but of her annoying screaming over some of Lennon's music. Could be a piece of art, could be a political statement, whatever - however, my ears are too sensitive to listen to that, any deeper meaning notwithstanding.

Date: December 4, 2021 06:30

ProfessorWolf
Doxa

- Doxa

you have a point about the misogyny (and racism) she's had to endure and still does

I'd like to hear some facts that could underline that. Or is it just your assumption?

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: December 4, 2021 10:38

That song “Don’t worry Kyoko” always gives me a migraine for some reason.
I do like “Walking on thin ice” though.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: December 4, 2021 10:55

Paddy
After watching Get Back, I decided to reread Glyn John’s book “Soundman” (a lot of inaccuracies in it, some lies.....)

But the following is on page 125, describing recording the rock n roll circus.

“I was in my booth, way up in the gods, recording the sound for the show, and the area on set where they were playing was obscured from my view. All was going well until I heard this extraordinary noise that sounded like someone stepping on a cat. I panicked thinking that a piece of equipment might be malfunctioning, while peering at the screen to see if it was adversely affecting the guys onstage. All of a sudden a picture appeared of a small figure with a black bag over its head with a mic cable disappearing into it. It turned out to be Yoko, who had decided to contribute to the proceedings. How anyone could have considered her intrusion to be in any way musical is a complete mystery to me”

grinning smiley

This is hilarious even though I like the track, including Yoko's part in it.

I thought her 2013 album Take Me To The Land Of Hell was absolutely brilliant.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 4, 2021 11:48

Yoko oh-no.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 4, 2021 12:57

I like it. If you mute the vocals, it kinda sounds like a Velvet Underground instrumental jam.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 4, 2021 14:18

Yoko is not an immediate artist, you got to get into the philosophy of the movement. For years she was just Lennon”s wife. One day I had to translate a work on Beuys and bang, I discovered a new passion.

It’s worth the effort!

C

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 4, 2021 14:25

Watch Chuck Berry's reaction to Yoko's vocal stylings in this. Hilarious!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 4, 2021 14:41

I enjoy some of her (their) music: the new wave, post punk stuff as well as songs like Remember Love, Greenfield morning, Don’t worry Kyoko. Then there’s the flipside: she was a deranged goal oriented stalker with a plan, who got Lennon hooked on smack. Maybe he would have gone down that road anyway. JohnandYoko were great in -68-71 but they really shouldve divorced after Imagine. The Primal Scream album is one of the greatest albums ever.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 4, 2021 14:48

crholmstrom
Watch Chuck Berry's reaction to Yoko's vocal stylings in this. Hilarious!

[www.youtube.com]

I had a similar reaction once to a video of some famous rock star.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: December 4, 2021 17:25

retired_dog
ProfessorWolf
Doxa

- Doxa

I'd like to hear some facts that could underline that. Or is it just your assumption?

want to start by saying that a lot of her bad reputation and image she brought on herself with her own behavior and choices

but the sheer feroucity of the backlash against her and her treatment in the press i can't help but feel that if she was white it would have been not nearly as bad

so yeah just my opinion (assumption) feel free to disagree with me

also i'd like to add that as someone who genuinely likes a lot of her music that i can't stand whole lotta yoko

she just ruins it with her um "vocalizations"
nothing to do with her race or gender it's just terrible

great music underneath that though

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 4, 2021 17:36

John loved her. Love is blind. We've all had a mate others didn't care for. Of course not on this level.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: December 4, 2021 17:41

You really have to question the sincerity of her efforts. To me there's no doubt that she is taking the piss and she was introduced by a consummate piss-taker. It may be art in the way of pointing out to what length fans may go to defend and excuse the obnoxiousness.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: December 4, 2021 18:14

Making a long story short.
To me she always was nothing but a pain in the ass.

Just my 2cts

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 4, 2021 18:21

John and Yoko met when she was doing a performance art piece.
She had made a name for herself in that area, from what I can recall.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 4, 2021 18:24

retired_dog
ProfessorWolf
Doxa

- Doxa

All you have to do is look at the mass of writings on how Yoko was responsible for breaking up
the Beatles. Were you around then? Years after that, the hatred subsided, somewhat.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: December 4, 2021 19:07

angee
retired_dog
ProfessorWolf
Doxa

- Doxa

All you have to do is look at the mass of writings on how Yoko was responsible for breaking up
the Beatles. Were you around then? Years after that, the hatred subsided, somewhat.

Belonging to the group of elder members here, I surely was around then, but I was not around the Beatles inner circle so I can't tell what was fiction and what actual fact.

But what I clearly remember is the general feeling that Yoko was much too intrusive, forcing herself in the foreground, in fact using Lennon's fame as a vehicle to express herself in a way she was obviously not able to do on her own.

It was this intrusiveness that put people off imo, not the fact that she was a woman or japanese - however, in today's climate it does not surprise me at all that misogyny and racism are much easier explanations.

I think the clip of the performance with Chuck Berry is telling: One can see that Chuck is not exactly amused by Yoko's screaming on his song (yes, his song, not even John's!). Would you accuse Chuck of racism because of that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-04 19:14 by retired_dog.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 4, 2021 19:45

retired_dog
angee
retired_dog
ProfessorWolf
Doxa

- Doxa

Belonging to the group of elder members here, I surely was around then, but I was not around the Beatles inner circle so I can't tell what was fiction and what actual fact.

But what I clearly remember is the general feeling that Yoko was much too intrusive, forcing herself in the foreground, in fact using Lennon's fame as a vehicle to express herself in a way she was obviously not able to do on her own.

It was this intrusiveness that put people off imo, not the fact that she was a woman or japanese - however, in today's climate it does not surprise me at all that misogyny and racism are much easier explanations.

I think the clip of the performance with Chuck Berry is telling: One can see that Chuck is not exactly amused by Yoko's screaming on his song (yes, his song, not even John's!). Would you accuse Chuck of racism because of that?

A little young at the time to recall the details very vividly, but Yoko animosity pre-break up as opposed to post was a phenom in it's own right. The musical aspect of the criticism, was a foot-note really and post- breakup a jumping off point for many for the racism, misogyny, hatred, that followed for years and still thrives.

Of course Chuck wasn't racist when he cringed at her input.. the musical criticism was legit, but a completely separate issue.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: December 4, 2021 20:37

"That old gang of mine. That’s all over. When I met Yoko is when you meet your first woman and you leave the guys at the bar and you don’t go play football anymore and you don’t go play snooker and billiards. Maybe some guys like to do it every Friday night or something and continue that relationship with the boys, but once I found the woman, the boys became of no interest whatsoever, other than they were like old friends. You know: ‘Hi, how are you? How’s your wife?’ That kind of thing. You know the song: ‘Those wedding bells are breaking up that old gang of mine.’ Well, it didn’t hit me till whatever age I was when I met Yoko, which was twenty-six. Nineteen sixty-six we met, but the full impact didn’t… we didn’t get married till ’68, was it? It all blends into one bleeding movie!
But whatever, that was it. The old gang of mine was over the moment I met her. I didn’t consciously know it at the time, but that’s what was going on. As soon as I met her, that was the end of the boys, but it so happened that the boys were well known and weren’t just the local guys at the bar."

John Lennon
All We Are Saying, David Sheff

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1519
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home