Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Time waits for no one played live?
Posted by: Nate ()
Date: December 1, 2021 22:31

Would anyone please know if the stones have ever played time waits for no one live and if so when and where?

Many thanks

Nate

Re: Time waits for no one played live?
Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: December 1, 2021 22:40

Not according to this excellent resource:

[www.setlist.fm]

Posted by: Stoneswolf ()
Date: December 1, 2021 22:45

Mick Taylor played it at the solo gigs

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: December 1, 2021 22:46

Ok thanks very much for the information guys.

Nate

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: December 1, 2021 23:29

Stoneswolf
Mick Taylor played it at the solo gigs

If the Stones never play it but he did then I would hazard a guess that he played some part in composing it. A gem of a song if you ask me.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 2, 2021 05:25

It was on Taylor's last album, IORR in 1974. He quit soon after. Don't know if Ronnie could pull it off.

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: December 3, 2021 10:39

The Stones will never play this live. Like so many other songs. This is a typical "Taylor song" which they can't play, I think. I hope. TWFNO is too pure and beautiful to be played by the lads these days... Sorry to say that.

Posted by: Barkerboy2 ()
Date: December 3, 2021 12:56

[www.youtube.com]

This acoustic version by Mick Taylor with Erwan Nijhoff on vocals is gorgeous smiling smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 3, 2021 13:05

Barkerboy2
[www.youtube.com]

This acoustic version by Mick Taylor with Erwan Nijhoff on vocals is gorgeous smiling smiley

smileys with beer

Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: December 3, 2021 13:55

wonderful version, thank you barkerboy2 for posting the link

Posted by: Barkerboy2 ()
Date: December 3, 2021 14:46

You're welcome smiling smiley

It is on a Stones bootleg CD I have, called 'The Golden (Un)plugged Album'. It is simply listed as 'Mick Taylor Solo', so for some time, I incorrectly assumed it was Mick singing - d'oh!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 3, 2021 16:27

I don't know if this is a 'typical' Taylor song. He does play a fantastic solo, but all other guitars are Keith.

Mathijs

Date: December 3, 2021 17:48

Mathijs
I don't know if this is a 'typical' Taylor song. He does play a fantastic solo, but all other guitars are Keith.

Mathijs

True, but on the other hand there are many guitarist out there that are proud
of copying Taylor's TWFNO solo exactly, the distinct ascending melodic line included, and showing off with it; seldom Keith's guitar parts. In that sense it's a typical MT (guitarist's) song.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-03 18:06 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: December 3, 2021 19:49

Solo, not song, surely smiling smiley

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 3, 2021 22:40

Didn’t Taylor also play the acoustic guitar and synthesizer

Date: December 3, 2021 23:52

DandelionPowderman

To me and quite a few good guitarists that I know Taylor's contribution on TWFNO is half the song.It gives me the feeling of "Don't you ever call me your lead guitarist again, you're my @#$%& rhythm player". Just joking grinning smiley .I'm not that impressed by the mediocre unrehearsed stuff (imo) Taylor played with Erwin Nijhof, and his dubious solo performances..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-04 00:04 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 4, 2021 00:04

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

To me and quite a few good guitarists that I know Taylor's contribution on TWFNO is half the song. I'm not talking about the mediocre stuff (imo) he played with Erwin Nijhof, and his dubious solo performances.

Guitarists often tend to overestimate their importance. A song is a song, a solo is a solo, a beautiful solo can embellish a song, but even without a beautiful solo a beautiful song stays a beautiful song. Just compare 100 Years Ago full band and piano demo versions. A similar Jagger piano demo for TWFNO would without doubt be as beautiful as the 100 Years Ago one, different to the band version of TWFNO of course, but not just "half a song".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-04 00:06 by retired_dog.

Date: December 4, 2021 00:18

retired_dog

Guitarists often tend to overestimate their importance. A song is a song, a solo is a solo, a beautiful solo can embellish a song, but even without a beautiful solo a beautiful song stays a beautiful song. Just compare 100 Years Ago full band and piano demo versions. A similar Jagger piano demo for TWFNO would without doubt be as beautiful as the 100 Years Ago one, different of course, but not just "half a song".

It's not as black and white like that to me in this case. Taylor plays a very repetitive ascending melody that adds something essential to the arrangement of the song. The improvisation starts later. The Sax-melody of Gerry Rafferty's "Bakerstreet" is a similar example; a very essential melody. It's also the way you "read" a song as a listener that's important. Very personal stuff of course. I love instrumental music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-04 00:21 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: December 4, 2021 00:34

TheflyingDutchman
retired_dog

Guitarists often tend to overestimate their importance. A song is a song, a solo is a solo, a beautiful solo can embellish a song, but even without a beautiful solo a beautiful song stays a beautiful song. Just compare 100 Years Ago full band and piano demo versions. A similar Jagger piano demo for TWFNO would without doubt be as beautiful as the 100 Years Ago one, different of course, but not just "half a song".

It's not as black and white like that to me in this case. Taylor plays a very repetitive ascending melody that adds something essential to the arrangement of the song. The improvisation starts later. The Sax-melody of "Bakerstreet" is a similar example; a very essential melody. It's also the way you "read" a song as a listener that's important. Very personal stuff of course.

Yes, of course, it's not black and white. It needs to be said that TWFNO is one of my favourite Stones songs and of course Taylor's soloing on this one played a big part in catching my attention as it's surely one major ingredient that begged for repeated listening, but I just can imagine that a spare Jagger piano demo would be as beautiful as the finished version, probably leaving more room for imagination than the absolutely fantastic finished version, depending on the mood. It's just that for me, it's not only "half a song" without the solo.

Date: December 4, 2021 00:46

Indeed, any song can be played on a guitar and vocals only, the classical Bob Dylan 'back to basics approach'. "All along the Watchtower" is a nice example. But hey, what about Hendrix doing it ? We're getting too much off-topic now. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-04 00:47 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: December 4, 2021 01:10

TheflyingDutchman
Indeed, any song can be played on a guitar and vocals only, the classical Bob Dylan 'back to basics approach'. "All along the Watchtower" is a nice example. But hey, what about Hendrix doing it ? We're getting too much off-topic now. smiling smiley

Not quite, because this is a good example! I like Dylan's original version a tad better because it's spareness leaves a little more room for imagination imo. The haunting feeling of despair is already there, but you have to sense it, whereas on Hendrix' version, it's already played out by his masterful guitar notes. Of course, just my opinion. Both versions are great. Again, one of my all-time favourite songs.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: December 4, 2021 01:46

Black Crowes offshoot Chris Robinson Band played it a handful of times live. The late Neal Casal did commendable guitar duties.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: December 4, 2021 10:41

Get Mick T and play it live for 60 years shows

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: December 4, 2021 10:44

stargroover
Get Mick T and play it live for 60 years shows

Please don't! The magic is in the studio version (1974)! The Stones will ruin the whole song now. For sure.

Posted by: 5strings ()
Date: December 4, 2021 14:39

hot smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-04 14:59 by 5strings.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: December 4, 2021 16:36

Mathijs

Mathijs

The fact that Jagger actually acknowledged “he threw in a few chords” suggests that he did have a hand in writing it.

His electric is played throughout the song, not just the solo. I’m also pretty confident he played the 12-string.

* ALSO Richards said it was his riff and was taken up and turned into something else by others. Same with Can You Hear The Music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-04 16:45 by TravelinMan.

Date: December 4, 2021 16:39

retired_dog
TheflyingDutchman

Not quite, because this is a good example! I like Dylan's original version a tad better because it's spareness leaves a little more room for imagination imo. The haunting feeling of despair is already there, but you have to sense it, whereas on Hendrix' version, it's already played out by his masterful guitar notes. Of course, just my opinion. Both versions are great. Again, one of my all-time favourite songs.

Don’t forget the Hendrix-inspired Dylan version with Mick Taylor on guitar! Haunting AND rockin’!

Date: December 4, 2021 19:51

TravelinMan
retired_dog
TheflyingDutchman

Don’t forget the Hendrix-inspired Dylan version with Mick Taylor on guitar! Haunting AND rockin’!

That's Mick Taylor almost at his very best.-Masters of War-. If it wasn't for Taylor's solo I wouldn't listen to it. Haunting indeed, like a Messerschmidt, or better, a Stuka thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-04 19:57 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: December 4, 2021 20:45

Thanks for that TheflyingDutchman!Your spot on .I have not heard this version before.Gonna get this for sure.

Date: December 6, 2021 19:51

TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan
retired_dog
TheflyingDutchman

That's Mick Taylor almost at his very best.-Masters of War-. If it wasn't for Taylor's solo I wouldn't listen to it. Haunting indeed, like a Messerschmidt, or better, a Stuka thumbs up

That actually came up on a playlist the other day and I told my buddy to check it out. I hope they release a deluxe version of that album because they included a song on that recent Dylan box set and it sounded awesome. Enough Is Enough is the song.

Dylan could release entire shows from that tour and his fans would gobble them up.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1843
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home