Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Going to California. Any Stones sights?
Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: July 12, 2012 21:56

Off the top of my head there is not much Stones-related left standing in southern California. Places like the RCA recording studios in Hollywood and the auditorium out in newly bankrupt San Bernadino where they played their first US gig are long gone. I think some guy crashed his plane into the latter. Venues like the El Rey, where Mick played in 2001, the Forum, the Palladium, the Wiltern, and the Palace (now the Avalon) can be seen. Ditto, try and recreate the Big Hits scene at the Franklin Canyon. The Oriole House where they stayed in 69, is nearby (not sure on details). They stay at the Four Seasons, while on tour, and other times at the Sunset Marquis and Chateau Marmont. Personally I find the original Barney's Beanery very depressing. It got an extreme makeover as a sports bar, and sometimes there is a velvet rope. It is very garish, no longer dark and dingy. Similarly, Haight-Ashbury is a disappointment in the making, as is urine-stinky SF in general, in my jaded opinion. My advice would be to commune with nature by heading to Joshua Tree and staying at the Joshua Tree Inn where Gram Parsons died. It is for sale, btw, ridiculously priced. Nearby Pioneertown, an old Hollywood western movie set, has a fantastic honky tonk bar called Pappy and Harriet's.

P.S. I don't think they rehearsed for the '99 tour at the Fillmore. I recall "hearing" them do it at a hall in Oakland, and I have the parking ticket to prove it. CORRECTED: Yes, they did rehearse primarily at the Fillmore, and then for 2 nights at the Henry J. Kaiser Convention Center in Oakland, where I heard them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-13 03:16 by DeanGoodman.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 12, 2012 22:43

You can always go down to urine-stinky Hollywood Blvd and check out the lost souls and Methadone clinic frequented by MT before his thankful recovery..it's still there. ..San Francisco is a breath of fresh air compared to anywhere in LA., imho but areas "south of Mission" can be pretty scary, lots of lost souls there too.

The places in LA where most our favorite records were recorded and mixed is not what you would expect it to be. The many studios in the valley along streets like Burbank Blvd. are hidden behind non-descript doors and the neighborhood is fairly depressing, smog and traffic are guaranteed. But the small restraunts and bars in these areas are where you are likely to run into music celebrity if that's what you desire. peace

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 12, 2012 22:46

I assume that Barney's Beanery no longer has the matchbooks with a most politically incorrect statement on the cover (I haven't been in there in years).

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: July 12, 2012 22:54

Yep. Hollywood Blvd. is horrific on multiple levels, though the Egyptian Theatre is a great archival movie house, and is screening Gimme Shelter tonight!

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: July 12, 2012 23:10

Try this thread for cool LA Exile on Main Street locations:

HISTORIC Exile On South Main Street CALIFORNIA 1972
Posted by: schillid ()

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: July 13, 2012 01:04

deadegad
Try this thread for cool LA Exile on Main Street locations:

HISTORIC Exile On South Main Street CALIFORNIA 1972
Posted by: schillid ()

[www.iorr.org]

Right on -- that's the exact one I was referring to - thanks foe posting it!
-swiss

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 13, 2012 02:01

oh, and be sure to wear flowers in your hair...or something....

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: July 13, 2012 02:51

They absolutely took over the Fillmore in 99.

Steve jobs delivered a bunch if those colorful Mac's to them as "she's a Rainbow" was bring used at the time for their commercials, or they signed to use it later, all I know is boxes of Mac's were delivered.

The outdoor camera exhibit at the Cliff House is the last thing left from an amusement park from decades gone by. It's worth the trip, beautiful area.

Date: July 13, 2012 03:03

The alta cienega motelwas in LA most famous for being a place where Jim Morrison once lived but Mick Jagger visited Jim there to ask Jim questions about the state of touring, and, performing live at that particular time. The Stones had been off the road and the game was changing. The Doors were hot and were playing the Hollywood Bowl soon which MJ attended and Mick wanted to learn from what The Doors were doing live to prepare for The Stones hitting the road again.

Date: July 13, 2012 03:27

As others have mentioned -

The Barneys Beanery in West Hollywood on Santa Monica Blvd is the original where Morrison and others hung out. The one in Santa Monica on 3rd street is new. Amoeba Records on Sunset is a good way to kill about 8 hours. Also The Rainbow on Sunset is where Lemmy hangs out. It's close to The Whiskey and The Roxy. Also check out the Grammy Museum to get your Rock and Roll memorabilia fix. Check their website to see if they have any special events going on. Also check Waddys website for when he's playing at either The Joint or The Mint. Never can tell who might show up. And be prepared for traffic. Driving in LA blows. I live 35 mile south and gotta leave 2-3 hours early from my house when I go to clubs/concerts just to make sure I get there in time.

Scotty

Date: July 13, 2012 04:31

Here is an interesting account of Jim Morrison meeting Mick Jagger in Jim's Alta Cienage Motel room. You could actually rent that very room if you wanted.

[books.google.com]

Here is the Motel and room number 32:

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: July 13, 2012 04:32

StonesTod
oh, and be sure to wear flowers in your hair...or something....

It's an American dream--includes Indians, too...

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: July 13, 2012 05:41

search for T&A?

Date: July 13, 2012 06:06

Just read that you loved the Grateful Dead, you will be delighted to be one of the first wave of visitors at the Grateful Dead Archive Library on the University of Santa Cruz campus. The Haight ashbury area has become very tacky in it's hippie consumerism but the hippies are still there, if you can recognize them in their BMW's and exotic SUV's. The Dead lived in Marin county North of the Golden Gate Bridge and the area around San Rafael is more authentic to their spirit imho.

Ocasionally some of the street musicians in San Francisco will blow you away with their musicality and talent. BUT the best thing about SF is definately the FOOD and WINE. We have 100's of really great places to eat, my favorite being the Italian ones in the financial district and in North Beach. Take a taxi, park your car at the hotel because parking is a competetive sport in SF.

The Dead played several early shows in San mateo county, specifically Pescadero. This is a small town that hasn't changed much in the last 50 years and most of the residents have stories of them playing the local IDES hall, Jerry being offered a room by the Duarte family who own the local tavern and eatery. It is a mile east of HWY1 about 20 miles south of Half Moon Bay, worth the short drive. peace

Posted by: stones1962 ()
Date: July 13, 2012 07:26

I was just there last week. If you go to 6363 Sunset Boulevard that is the old RCA Records. On the first floor used to be the recording studio where the Stones recorded some of their biggest hits in the mid-Sixties. They used to enter on the side of the building which is on Iver. It is now the Los Angeles Film Institute. Across the street is Sunset Sound studios where the Stones recorded as well as the Doors.

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: July 13, 2012 07:49

Go to Yosemite.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 13, 2012 08:41

The RCA Hollywood studios have been gone for years. The building they were in is still there; now a film school. Sunset Sound is still there. There's plenty of Stones/R&R related sites in LA. Actually, the LA Forum was just sold to the MSG Company (Madison Square Garden Co.). What they plan to do with it, I don't know.

Haight-Ashbury is just as tourist-ridden as Fisherman's Warf. I should know. I live 10 minutes from the Haight. I, for one, don't mind tourists. Isn't that what y'all want anyway? One great big happy multi-cultural world...or something like that.
There's a few nice places there, but the derelicts just ruin it all.
You'd be better off exploring Golden Gate Park.
When in Monterey, do see the Monterey Fairgrounds, home of the Monterey Pop Festival.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: July 13, 2012 08:58

Great posts, by many, in here! Thanks a lot, this thread will come very much in handy on the trip. I'll update it with photos later! Keep the tips coming meanwhile.thumbs upspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: July 13, 2012 09:28

Disco: If you're into 1960s stuff (about Los Angeles) there's a book called Riot On Sunset Strip by Dominic Priore; all about the "scene" there from '65 to '67.
The appendix has all the addresses of of places from back then: clubs, studios, restaurants, etc. Plus it's a good read.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 13, 2012 19:43

Wow!
I did not know the Barneys Beanery still exists.Been there back in the late 80 's when I was hanging to the Morrison" s "places " in L.A.

I think I even have a funny pic from me that was took there, with the red seats and the lamps. ..
24FPS
If you're coming to L.A. have a beer at the ORIGINAL Barney's Beanery in West L.A. on Santa Monica. (There are other places called Barney's Beanery but they are new franchises). The one in Santa Monica is where Jim Morrison hung out, and where Janis Joplin had her last cocktail before heading back to her hotel room on Franklin and ODd.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: July 13, 2012 19:55

If you are into the Dead ...then you have to go to Sweatwaters in Mill Valley. Weir & Lesh play there all the time now. Go on Facebook and check it out.

Nice neck of the woods (just across the Golden Gate Bridge) anyway.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 13, 2012 20:01

Try the 17th at Pebble Beach then tip a pint at the Mission Ranch in Carmel listening to jazz piano

Sounds nice to me

[www.pebblebeach.com]

[www.missionranchcarmel.com]

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 13, 2012 20:10

Just to clarify.

Is the actual building which was home to RCA Studios still there? It's not a new building on the same site or anything like that?

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: July 13, 2012 20:49

If you want to see a piece of LA history, go to The Original Pantry for breakfast. I was there last week. It has been continuously open 24 hours a day since 1924. You may have to wait in line for a bit but it is worth the wait. It is in the heart of downtown LA.

Regarding SF tours: my wife and I went on a guided tour of SF a few years ago. When we got the the Haight district, the guide talked about the "Summer of Love, 1967" when bands would perform there outdoors. He mentioned several SF bands, and then mentioned Led Zeppelin. I knew then that he didn't know what he was talking about. LZ wasn't even a band in 1967.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-13 22:17 by DaveG.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 13, 2012 20:54

DaveG
Regarding SF tours: my wife and I went on a guided tour of SF a few years ago. When we got the the Haight district, the guide talked about the "Summer of ove, 1967" when bands would perform there outdoors. He mentioned several SF bands, and then mentioned Led Zeppelin. I knew then that he didn't know what he was talking about. LZ wasn't even a band in 1967.

well, if the guide was performing his job "in role" then he was stoned, so that gaffe is easily explained...

Date: July 13, 2012 21:04

His Majesty
Just to clarify.

Is the actual building which was home to RCA Studios still there? It's not a new building on the same site or anything like that?

Yes. The building itself is still there. It's no longer RCA but a film school.
After RCA, I think it had a big BMG logo on the building.
The studios, I believe, were either in the basement or ground floor.
Someone told me years ago, don't know if it's true, that where the studios used to be are now editing bays, where they teach film/video editing. I'm not exactly sure when the studios were torn down.

Date: July 13, 2012 21:08

Do whatever your wife wants to do is my best advice. peace

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 13, 2012 21:10

tomk
His Majesty
Just to clarify.

Someone told me years ago, don't know if it's true, that where the studios used to be are now editing bays, where they teach film/video editing. I'm not exactly sure when the studios were torn down.

Thanks. thumbs up

Date: July 13, 2012 21:36

His Majesty
tomk
His Majesty
Just to clarify.

Thanks. thumbs up

My pleasure. I just found out they closed in 1977.
Here's a back-and-forth chat from another web site regarding some gear there.
There's one post by a guy named Kent Tucks who worked there. I remember seeing his name on a few of Nesmith's solo records.

[www.gearslutz.com]

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: July 13, 2012 22:18

Naturalust
Do whatever your wife wants to do is my best advice. peace

Great advice!!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1842
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home