Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Going to California. Any Stones sights?
Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: July 12, 2012 08:24

I'm gonna spend two weeks in San Francisco for the Outside Lands festival and then drive the pacific coast highway down through Monterey and Big Sur to Los Angeles and Hollywood. Anyone got some tips to do or see, Stones-related or not? How is Haight Ashbury nowadays? The Fillmore East? I guess the Altamont Speedway is a little too off and not very interesting.

Re: Going to California. Any Stones sights?
Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: July 12, 2012 08:34

DiscoVolante
I'm gonna spend two weeks in San Francisco for the Outside Lands festival and then drive the pacific coast highway down through Monterey and Big Sur to Los Angeles and Hollywood. Anyone got some tips to do or see, Stones-related or not? How is Haight Ashbury nowadays? The Fillmore East? I guess the Altamont Speedway is a little too off and not very interesting.

Maybe visit the Hells Angels and ask if they still wanna kill Mick Jagger. Maybe not, seeing as how Sonny Barger is now dead, but you never know--group spirit, pride, and all that, it's like the Mafia in that regard.

Ever hear the story of how they--a group of them driving cross-country on their bikes--actually set out on a mission to kill Mick Jagger in 1970 because they were pissed off over Altamont? He was in the Hamptons at the time, and just before they got there, they abandoned their mission--because it started raining!... They were probably hoping for another great album like Let It Bleed, and just used the weather as an excuse.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 12, 2012 10:51

Stonesnow, you're getting rather tedious.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: July 12, 2012 10:59

some are I have recently encountered .... forget about them, enjoy your trip!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 12, 2012 11:03

The Mojave dessert. Check out the rock where Keith, Anita, Gram and his girl used to trip out and watch out for flying saucers! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: July 12, 2012 12:09

stonesnow
Maybe visit the Hells Angels and ask if they still wanna kill Mick Jagger. Maybe not, seeing as how Sonny Barger is now dead, but you never know--group spirit, pride, and all that, it's like the Mafia in that regard.

Ever hear the story of how they--a group of them driving cross-country on their bikes--actually set out on a mission to kill Mick Jagger in 1970 because they were pissed off over Altamont? He was in the Hamptons at the time, and just before they got there, they abandoned their mission--because it started raining!... They were probably hoping for another great album like Let It Bleed, and just used the weather as an excuse.

stonesnow - You do know pretty much every single thing you wrote here is wrong, right?

Discovolante - Altamont isn't particularly visually interesting and it's locked up, and guarded. Haight Ashbury is commercial and almost a parody of a hippie haven - the Stones didn't spend any time there, like, ever. The Fillmore East is long gone. The Stones stayed at the Huntington Hotel in 1969, but nothing to see there, really. Look up Schild's video of the Stones walking down Skid Row in Los Angeles, where many of the photos came from that are featured on the inside of Exile from a couple/few years back--and I think hbwriter wrote something about that maybe. You could theoretically walk that walk yourself. Stones played the LA Forum. You can check that out, I spose. And they lived at Stephen Stills' house in Laurel Canyon in 1969 for a bit---as did tons of other notables like Zappa, and that might be somewhat interesting.

sweetcharmedlife or Naturalust might have some ideas for SF. I'll think on it some more, Two weeks is a nice amount of time to be in SF. You'll see everything you want to see.

One thing: and you might already know this, plus it somewhat depends where you're staying (temperature varies significantly from neighborhood to neighborhood--up to 8 or 10o F, and there are big difs in humidity--not kidding from very dry to fog banks), but it gets COLD in San Francisco in the summertime. Right now as I am writing at night, it's about 52o -- and raw cold fog is rolling down the street, literally. Around 6pm the heat of the day rapidly drains away and it suddenly gets goddamn cold. Always carry a jacket or hoodie if you're a guy, and a scarf if you're into that--and a cardigan and/or little jacket, and definitely a scarf if you're a woman. It is WARM at night ONLY maybe 3 times per year in San Francisco. Outside Lands is in August in GG Park. You will definitely feel the fog roll in, and you will get cold if you're not prepared.

But it should be a great time. Santa Cruz is pretty cool little place to visit. Go to the boardwalk and the amusement park. Monterey and Big Sur are gorgeous. There's lots of hippie history in all those places, and some hardcore, but not so much Rolling Stones. In LA there's tons of punk and hardcore history, and general rock history of course. You'll find tons to do.

- swiss

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 12, 2012 14:55

swiss
sweetcharmedlife or Naturalust might have some ideas for SF.

i might too. but he has to ask nicely.

Date: July 12, 2012 15:32

I'm pretty sure the San Fran Art Exchange has a show right now with pics by Jim Marshall.
Also, the WWB play from time to time in L.A. Bernard Fowler and/or Blondie Chaplin join them occasionally (usually gigs are at The Joint).

Posted by: Jesse1960 ()
Date: July 12, 2012 15:56

stonesnow
DiscoVolante

Sonny Barger is still alive and well.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: July 12, 2012 16:26

swiss, thanks a lot! Great post, very informative. We're from Sweden and used to cold summers so I don't think the weather will be a problem.

We don't just need Stones-related sights but anything that's worth checking out if you're into classic rock music and fancy the 60's and 70's culture. We love the Grateful Dead, The Byrds and a lot of californian music of the time. I've heard there are some hippie sightseeing tours in Haight Ashbury, even though it sounds a little lame.

And if you have any gems you want to share, like local bars and stuff that isn't in Lonely Planet I would love to know about it! smiling smiley

Date: July 12, 2012 16:28

DiscoVolante
swiss, thanks a lot! Great post, very informative. We're from Sweden and used to cold summers so I don't think the weather will be a problem.

We don't just need Stones-related sights but anything that's worth checking out if you're into classic rock music and fancy the 60's and 70's culture. We love the Grateful Dead, The Byrds and a lot of californian music of the time. I've heard there are some hippie sightseeing tours in Haight Ashbury, even though it sounds a little lame.

And if you have any gems you want to share, like local bars and stuff that isn't in Lonely Planet I would love to know about it! smiling smiley

in that case, go to a show at the Fillmore...the stones connection is that they rented the hall as their rehearsal hangout in '99 prior to the no security tour. but, regardless of that- it's an iconic venue that has seen the likes of most of rock's finest over the decades. you'll be impressed...

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: July 12, 2012 17:27

Go to Amoeba Records and the other small shops in North Beach and throughout the city.

Get an Irish Coffee at the Buena Vista at 2765 Hyde St

Eat clam chowder or some kind of fresh seafood from one of the 18 stools at the counter at Swan Oyster Depot at 1517 Polk St

Go to a Giants game - dress warm

Ride the Cable Cars

If you golf and are in the city, play Presidio or Harding Park, good twilight rates and they rent clubs. If you really play golf, drive down to Monterey and take the 17 mile drive and view Pebble Beach and Cypress, and stop for a drink at Roy's at Sunset and watch the bagpipes at Spanish Bay. That's a golfers mecca. Stay at Spanish Bay and play a round, and play Poppy Hills if they havent closed for remodeling yet?

Rent a car and drive to Lake Tahoe or Napa for a couple days of R&R, both beautiful places.

Date: July 12, 2012 17:32

and avoid fisherman's wharf, lest you wanna be another faceless tourist....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 12, 2012 17:34

I thought this was a Led Zeppelin thang.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: July 12, 2012 18:20

Drive out to Altamont pass!

Posted by: mccparty ()
Date: July 12, 2012 18:44

1. City Lights Book Store (North Beach)
2. Vesuvio's for an Anchor Steam - right next to City Lights
3. Giants Game (get tickets in the Arcade section)
4. San Francisco Art Exchange (lots of Stones photos & Ronnie prints)
5. Amobe Records - Haight Street
6. Melvin Belli's old office on Montgomery Street (featured prominently in Gimme Shelter)
7. Camera Obscura at the Cliff House (near Outside Lands festival)
8. DO NOT GO TO FISHERMAN'S WHARF!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 12, 2012 18:48

mccparty
1. City Lights Book Store (North Beach)
2. Vesuvio's for an Anchor Steam - right next to City Lights
3. Giants Game (get tickets in the Arcade section)
4. San Francisco Art Exchange (lots of Stones photos & Ronnie prints)
5. Amobe Records - Haight Street
6. Melvin Belli's old office on Montgomery Street (featured prominently in Gimme Shelter)
7. Camera Obscura at the Cliff House (near Outside Lands festival)
8. DO NOT GO TO FISHERMAN'S WHARF!

Great list. Check out The Cliff House for a great seafood dinner. And talking of food, if you like Chinese then the House Of Nanking is a must.

Date: July 12, 2012 18:50

cliff house for good seafood??? nice view, but.....

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 12, 2012 18:55

If you're coming to L.A. have a beer at the ORIGINAL Barney's Beanery in West L.A. on Santa Monica. (There are other places called Barney's Beanery but they are new franchises). The one in Santa Monica is where Jim Morrison hung out, and where Janis Joplin had her last cocktail before heading back to her hotel room on Franklin and ODd.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 12, 2012 19:27

Wanton Witch of the Côte
Also, the WWB play from time to time in L.A. Bernard Fowler and/or Blondie Chaplin join them occasionally (usually gigs are at The Joint).

The next Waddy gig at the Joint is scheduled for August 25. Bernard is scheduled to be there.

In Northern CA, definitely spend some time in Napa Valley.

...and the true culture of Los Angeles is found at Venice Beach.drinking smiley

Date: July 12, 2012 19:30

Silver Dagger
if you like Chinese then the House Of Nanking is a must.

ABSOLUTELY!thumbs up

Date: July 12, 2012 19:30

napa valley for the tourist; sonoma county for the purist

Date: July 12, 2012 19:31

StonesTod

purist? their wine isn't half as good

Date: July 12, 2012 19:32

BluzDude
StonesTod

i know; it's twice as good.

Date: July 12, 2012 19:36

StonesTod
BluzDude
StonesTod

I'll send you a case of Spinada for Christmas, that seems to be your speed.

Date: July 12, 2012 19:49

BluzDude
StonesTod
BluzDude
StonesTod

I'll send you a case of Spinada for Christmas, that seems to be your speed.

lived in the area many years. i'll take the best of alexander valley or anderson valley over the best napa can offer any day.

Posted by: mccparty ()
Date: July 12, 2012 19:52

Um.....I'll take the best from both regions....and ALL the Craft Brews as well!!

Date: July 12, 2012 19:55

mccparty
Um.....I'll take the best from both regions....and ALL the Craft Brews as well!!

IP-@#$%&-A by LagFuckingItas, brewed in CaliFuckinFornia....makes a lovely t-shirt....

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: July 12, 2012 20:01

Jesse1960
stonesnow
DiscoVolante

Sonny Barger is still alive and well.

No kidding?! Then Mick Jagger is a dead man for sure, because a Hells Angel never forgets.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 12, 2012 20:20

I'll leave the city and touristy recommendations for others here who have advised you well. My best recommendations are all about the nature and beauty of the California coast and redwood forests you will be near.

The drive south from San Francisco is where you will have access to some of the most beautiful beaches and forests in the world. Specifically the coast from Half Moon Bay to Santa Cruz is as good as it gets. Great forested mountains reaching to the sea and plenty of places to access the spectacular beaches.

My best advice is DON"T BE IN A HURRY when you start south from SF because it will be over soon enough, once you get south of Big Sur the magic of the nature soon gives way to the hectic pace and megalopolis that is LA.

I will give up a couple secret spots that are part of my world:

1. Pomponio and Bean Hollow State beaches. They are about 15-20 miles south of Half Moon Bay and easily visible on Highway 1 on the ocean side of the highway. Both these places are spectacluar, uncrowded and very close to the marine life that makes this place so amazing. Keep you eyes out for whales, several types of seals and washed up treasure on the beach. I saw two Blue whales just yesterday, the largest animals that have ever existed on our planet.

2. Costanoa eco resort. www.costanoa.com This place is just a few miles south of the beaches I am talking about and has accomodations from pitch your own tent sites, to fairly luxurious Lodge rooms with a fantastic spa (great massages!), Hot Tub, Saunas, etc. It is located in the middle of the most pristine and uncrowded spot on the California coast and is a real treat to wake up to. If you find the spot and are inclined to ride horses from the stable, tell the wrangler who you are, tell her you are a friend of Naturalust and I just might meet you and show you some places that are off limits to the public. Trees bigger than you can imagine, waterfalls, swimming holes, mountain lion dens and coastal farming at its best. The horses can take you on trails along the coastal ridges with specatcular views of the forests and the ocean.

Finally when in Santa Cruz, especially if you are a guitar player, I suggest a short visit to a music store called Sylvan Music. It is on the right side of the HWY going south about a mile after you enter the City at Bay and Mission (HWY1 is Mission street in Santa Cruz). They have some of the most amazing guitars ever made. Everything from vintage Gibson SG's like the one Mick Taylor used to play to magical acoustics by luthiers such as Santa Cruz Guitars and James Goodall and sons.

Stones sights are not really part of the place but you can be assured that many of your favorite artists have driven the same road you are on between San Francisco and Los Angeles. Many of them have chosen to live in this area and you will probably see why.

Hope you have a great trip. peace

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1701
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home