Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 11 of 13
Re: Tokyo Dome show on Google Music
Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: July 13, 2012 02:42

Slick
meh, i will PASS on this vegas crap, how embarassing to have this trash coincide with the bands 50th. but all you chuck, matt, bernard, & lisa fans, enjoy my all means. and dont worry blondie, tim, and kent fans, i am sure toronto 2005 is just around the corner. meanwhile, time to crank la friday again lol.

I am not a big fan of the Chuck/Darryl/Bernard/Lisa/BLondie/horn section era, either, but this is not the full-on Chuck/Darryl/Bernard/Lisa/BLondie/etc. experience, yet. I consider this tour to be a transitional phase between the raw guitar-based versions of the band (1962–1982) and the full-on "session musician/Vegas years" (1994–2007). In 1989/1990 it had not yet become a routine, it was new and fresh, the back-up musicians had not yet become something to fall back on and BILL WYMAN WAS STILL PLAYING BASS (which makes a huge difference, I think). This show still has the magic.

Date: July 13, 2012 02:44

MrEcho
Slick
meh, i will PASS on this vegas crap, how embarassing to have this trash coincide with the bands 50th. but all you chuck, matt, bernard, & lisa fans, enjoy my all means. and dont worry blondie, tim, and kent fans, i am sure toronto 2005 is just around the corner. meanwhile, time to crank la friday again lol.

I am not a big fan of the Chuck/Darryl/Bernard/Lisa/BLondie/horn section era, either, but this is not the full-on Chuck/Darryl/Bernard/Lisa/BLondie/etc. experience, yet. I consider this tour to be a transitional phase between the raw guitar-based versions of the band (1962–1982) and the full-on "session musician/Vegas years" (1994–2007). In 1989/1990 it had not yet become a routine, it was new and fresh, the back-up musicians had not yet become something to fall back on and BILL WYMAN WAS STILL PLAYING BASS (which makes a huge difference, I think). This show still has the magic.

thumbs up

Posted by: dcc2 ()
Date: July 13, 2012 03:00

This one is available for download at the Rolling Stones website. In the archive section. I bought it yesterday now I'm just waiting to see if anyone is going to post the jewel case inserts?!?!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: July 13, 2012 05:45

Downloaded it yesterday. Listened to it today. Not great,not terrible. Just allright. The warhorses are also rans. Nothing new there. Though Satisfaction seems to have more kick to it. The Steel Wheels songs are good to hear. But I wish they would go further back into the catalog for the next releases.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 13, 2012 05:54

dcc2
This one is available for download at the Rolling Stones website. In the archive section. I bought it yesterday now I'm just waiting to see if anyone is going to post the jewel case inserts?!?!

Oh please do some searching wont you?????

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: July 13, 2012 10:59

DandelionPowderman
MrEcho
Slick

Well said!

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: July 13, 2012 11:04

jazzbass
Well, I'm finally giving this a thorough "all the way through" listen and I just have to say, I don't care what anyone else thinks... I think it is an excellent performance. I love the tour (my first Stones concert ever was Philly '89, the first show of the tour), and I also love the album. The Steel Wheels numbers featured at this show sound great, were performed amazingly and I think they stand up well to time. Keith was seriously on his game too.

I'm also giving it my first listen and I totally agree with you. While I prefer the more "jamming" tours from '69 - '81, Steel Wheels was a very exciting show and Keith was in great form. I have great memories of seeing this tour at Shea Stadium in NYC, and this boot brings back great memories.

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: July 13, 2012 12:57

stonesdan60
DandelionPowderman
MrEcho
Slick

Well said!

I don't agree. Imo the SW tour was way more overproduced than i.e. the ABB tour. Also, the latter featured more prominent guitars in the mix (although not better played of course).

On the SW tour there were numerous songs that actually were connected to one another with intermediate samples, keybord playing etc. It was directed with very meticulously timed props. There was way less room for setlist changes and it was much more of a musical style of follow-up.

Also the SW tour had a horn section that actually performed line dance in matching outfits [!], three dedicated backup singers, two keyboard players, lots of stairs and balcony's....

Although I love it, the SW/UJ tour was much more of a Vegas act than any Stones tour before or after.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-13 12:58 by Limbostone.

Date: July 13, 2012 13:08

Limbostone
stonesdan60
DandelionPowderman
MrEcho
Slick

Well said!

I don't agree. Imo the SW tour was way more overproduced than i.e. the ABB tour. Also, the latter featured more prominent guitars in the mix (although not better played of course).

On the SW tour there were numerous songs that actually were connected to one another with intermediate samples, keybord playing etc. It was directed with very meticulously timed props. There was way less room for setlist changes and it was much more of a musical style of follow-up.

Also the SW tour had a horn section that actually performed line dance in matching outfits [!], three dedicated backup singers, two keyboard players, lots of stairs and balcony's....

Although I love it, the SW/UJ tour was much more of a Vegas act than any Stones tour before or after.

They changed the setlist around quite a bit on these tours.

Bitch, Dead Flowers, Factory Girl, Terrifying, Almost Hear You Sigh, Play With Fire, Salt Of The Earth, Undercover and other songs were played now and again, for instance.

Which songs were "connected"?

I get your point, of course, but despite the things you mentioned, I really liked these tours, SW in particular.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 13, 2012 13:28

Limbostone
stonesdan60
DandelionPowderman
MrEcho
Slick

Well said!

True. 1989/1990 is the Vegas act and what came after is a change for the better, 1995 doesnt sound as slick. It's still Vegas-era but in a cleverly updated package. 1997 seems to be a combo, maybe because of Keith.

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: July 13, 2012 13:30

Well, I enjoy it. Sure on some level it sucks - but on another level it's a lot of fun. It's like food: sometimes you feel like raw, tasty horse meat, but at other times nothing would make you happier than one of 'em evil Big Mac. Stones 90s is the Big Mac version of the raw horse meat that was Stones '69. I don't need to give '89 stones my artistic blessing to enjoy it, not always but from time to time.

Actually I think LA 75 is interesting but always unpleasant to listen to; whereas Tokyo 90s might be uninteresting at some level, but there are moments when I would like nothing better than playing the intro to Sympathy VERY LOUD.

AND: I think the Miss You version, false harp and all, is brilliant - Jagger's singing and small interjections is one of his all-time high points,and I think Bobby and Ronnie's solos are AMAZING. The band is spot on all the way. That's the version I play when I give a party.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-13 13:44 by otonneau.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 13, 2012 13:48

otonneau
AND: I think the Miss You version, false harp and all, is brilliant - Jagger's singing and small interjections is one of his all-time high points. The band is also spot on all the way. That's the version I play when I give a party.

exactly the reason why this 89/90 Miss You sounds so horrrible for me...

and why is it unpleasant to listen to LA Friday when it´s interesting ?
or just interesting because of some historic reasons ?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 13, 2012 14:51

Short review of the show…score’s 1 to 5. 1 is unlistenable, 5 is 70’s Stones at their peak.

- Start Me Up: Nice opener, better than in ’82, but too clean for my taste. 2
- Bitch: Nice version! Fast and raw, guitar driven and not too brass driven. 3
- Sad Sad Sad: Totally forgettable. 1
- Harlem Shuffle: very, very nice groove, great bass, some nice guitar work. 4
- Tumbling Dice: Solid performance, but boring as hell. But it does show what the Stones miss since Wyman left: swing and groove. 2
- Miss You: un-listenable, even though tempo and guitars are better than any version since ’94. But those keyboards man….1
- Ruby Tuesday: Never been a favorite of mine, but I like Richards’ acoustic even though they turned it into a schmaltzy sing-along. And what a dreadful fake recorder that is…2
- Almost Hear You Sigh: very, very nice. Excellent guitars, Jagger’s vocals are great. 4
- Rock And A Hard Place. The new songs are much more interesting than the old ones, again nice guitar work, especially Richards is on fire. Never heard those Spanish licks before! 4
- Mixed Emotions: Nice version, nice tempo, quite raw and back to basic. Spoiled by awful horns on the ending. 3
- Honky Tonk Women: this adds absolutely nothing at all. I don’t think I’ll ever need to hear this song again. 1
- Midnight Rambler: Any version of Rambler is nice. Watts is fantastic, and again Wyman is sorely missed. But it doesn’t hold a candle to LA 75. The danger is gone. 3
- You Can’t Always Get What You Want: Horrible. Vegas style sing-a-long for the masses. 2
- Can’t Be Seen: totally forgettable, and a mess. 1
- Happy: I just don’t ever need to listen to this version, or any version after ’78, again. 1
- Paint It Black: Nice, I like Richards guitar, and it’s played fast. Watts and Wyman are on fire. 4
- 2000 Light Years From Home: best track of the set, just really good. Dark and dangerous, Richards is fantastic. It would be a 5, but it gets a 4 due to the horrid outro with that horrid synth guitar solo.
- Sympathy For The Devil: Next please. 1
- Gimme Shelter: it’s better than any version since 94 due to the faster tempo, and Richards and Wood actually playing. 3
- It’s Only Rock’n Roll: good up-tempo version, nice guitars. Just some good, professional latter day Stones. 3
- Brown Sugar. If I want to listen to Brown Sugar I’ll listen to a ’72 or ’75 version. Next please. 2
- Satisfaction: The 90’s version of Satisfaction where probably the best versions they have ever done (if we forget the ’69 MSG versions…). Nice tempo, grooving bass and great guitars. Still, the synths make it all very music-for-the-masses, like a tuxedo band on a wedding. I wouldn’t have been surprised if the next track would have been ‘Paradise by the Dashboard Light’. 4
- Jumping Jack Flash: Nice version. Very professional. Tad too slick. 3

So, what do we have: latter day, very professional Stones, bordering on being too slick and professional. When the brass and synths come in they cross that border, but when these are kept to a minimum they actually sound like a good band. Interesting is that, as with all tours after this one, only the new songs seem to be interesting, and seem to make especially Wood and Richards focus. With the older songs they just go on automatic, but with the new songs they seem to concentrate more and better. Rock and a Hard Place will always be a mediocre song, but all are working hard to make it something special. I guess after a few days this release will be put back into the archive, only to be listened to once in a year, whereas something like LA 75 gets a spin a couple of times per week. That’s the difference a fantastic band, and a professional band.

Mathijs

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: July 13, 2012 15:18

yep - totally agree Mathijs.

i doubt i will listen to this release more than 5 times in the first year, then 0 in subsequent years.
that's not to say I dont like it, but more that it's boring and gives nothing.

i think it's also natural that the band would enjoy playing the "new" songs. I mean..how many times have they played BS, JJF etc...
it's like any band...they normally get excited about playing new songs.

what i will say, Keith plays so well here and Ron does next to nothing.
It's amazing to see how much Keith has deteriorated since 1990...sad actually.

good release to have, but disappointing the band doesn't give more thought to perhaps 1963 -- 1968 period, because afterall, post 1982 is not really something the Stones can hang their hat on ? and it seems they have this release..and the other rumoured show from toronto 2005...wow...cant wait !

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: July 13, 2012 16:56

Bill Wyman sounds genuinely bored here. Usually in every show there is always something he does in these live sets that make me smile, some little lick or flourish or an "ah, that's Bill!" moment, but he appears to be completely and totally coasting and phoning this one in.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 13, 2012 17:01

Turning To Gold
Bill Wyman sounds genuinely bored here. Usually in every show there is always something he does in these live sets that make me smile, some little lick or flourish or an "ah, that's Bill!" moment, but he appears to be completely and totally coasting and phoning this one in.

check out harlem shuffle...billy shines brightly there...

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 13, 2012 17:47

Turning To Gold

Bill´s father died the week before during this japan tour.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 13, 2012 22:15

shortfatfanny
Turning To Gold

I don't know if Bill's father dieing affected his playing for this particular gig or not. I think it's a bigger problem. The vastness of the stage for Steel Wheels, and the uncountable extra singers, musicians, etc, played against what made Bill so great. He is overwhelmed by a tsunami of sound. He can't get his feet planted and push and pull against the band. His playing has little effect on the proceedings at all. Picking him out he sounds like he's just playing the songs note for note, just to keep up. The aural situation makes it impossible for him to put the bottom under the band. Maybe that's one of the reasons he left. It wasn't fun any more, and he could still influence a studio recording, but the stage had become an unfriendly place for a sensitive musician.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: July 13, 2012 22:25

Mathijs
That’s the difference a fantastic band, and a professional band.

I get what you're saying but let's be careful with using words that are not meant to be put downs. A "fantastic band" can't be "professional?"

As far as I can tell, the Stones were ridiculously professional in all the tours previous to 1989. They were absolute pros, and no one else could have pulled off the sense of the band falling off the rails kinetic energy yet keeping it all together and somehow pulling it off night after night, tour after tour. That takes a group of musicians on a different, sophisticated (professional) level to accomplish that..not amateurs.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 14, 2012 00:18

Mathijs
Short review of the show…score’s 1 to 5. 1 is unlistenable, 5 is 70’s Stones at their peak.

Mathijs

This review is hilarious... and dead-on! thumbs up

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 14, 2012 03:35

Disappointing that there's no Undercover. I take it that it wasn't played that night ? So far these releases haven't left anything out.

I agree about the new stuff sounding good. Almost hear you sigh is a stand out. Sad Sad Sad was a surprise to me. Never been a fan of this song but I like how it sounds here, its a fun listen. I don't care what anyone says about Can't Be Seen, I love that song. esp. Live.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-14 04:34 by ryanpow.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: July 14, 2012 04:29

shortfatfanny
Turning To Gold

On Feb 26th Bill was informed his ailing father had died, but they had a gig that night and the next to complete the tour. Bill returned to England on the 28th and attended the funeral on Mar 3rd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-15 10:08 by StonedInTokyo.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 14, 2012 06:07

Ah!1 The stones comeback. Thank God no more coked @#$%& up spead up crap like 81

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: July 14, 2012 11:01

StonesTod
Turning To Gold

check out harlem shuffle...billy shines brightly there...

Bill looked fine.
I remember he smoked a lot on stage.
His playing on Midnight Rambler was extremely good.
He could communicate wiht Keith and Charlie with his eyes closed.

He visited Michael Cooper's exhibition "Blinds & Shutters" at the department store on the day after 1st show in Tokyo.
He came Japan a little late but he had abundant energy in spite of his situation.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 14, 2012 11:52

24FPS
shortfatfanny
Turning To Gold

I don't know if Bill's father dieing affected his playing for this particular gig or not. I think it's a bigger problem. The vastness of the stage for Steel Wheels, and the uncountable extra singers, musicians, etc, played against what made Bill so great. He is overwhelmed by a tsunami of sound. He can't get his feet planted and push and pull against the band. His playing has little effect on the proceedings at all. Picking him out he sounds like he's just playing the songs note for note, just to keep up. The aural situation makes it impossible for him to put the bottom under the band. Maybe that's one of the reasons he left. It wasn't fun any more, and he could still influence a studio recording, but the stage had become an unfriendly place for a sensitive musician.

Very good observation. To me 1989/1990 never was the last tour with Bill, it's 1982/1982. Vould very well be he quit because the band wasnt a band anymore, like before, but a result of Jaggers failed solo career.

Posted by: King Bee ()
Date: July 14, 2012 11:58

Anybody seen any artwork yet?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 14, 2012 12:13

King Bee
Anybody seen any artwork yet?

Yes [www.iorr.org]

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: July 14, 2012 12:20

Well, I can't believe nobody likes the Miss You version! The last verses are so good, and Jagger trading licks with the background vocalists is just so precise and so groovy, excellent build-up. And I honestly don't know what's wrong with the keyboards, this is a smooth 70s soul style version, excellent stuff. While Almost hear you Sigh is excellently played, it remains a horrible rock ballad that any band could have written; Miss You is far more compelling and original.

I also like Satisfaction - I love the way Jagger snarls "I can get-me-no" at the end of verses 2 and 3.

These guys are REALLY playing, I don't think they're going through the numbers at all, contrary to what many say on here. Sure, from 89 onwards they raised their level of professionalism so all shows were very strong and a kick for all who were there I'm sure, as opposed to the hit-and-miss of previous years. But you can still hear, from the small tidbits thrown here and there, that on some nights they not only do it; they love doing it. Tokyo 1990 is one of these shows when it is obvious to me that the band is enjoying PLAYING MUSIC, whereas often they seem to play music as a means of being onstage, which is what they love.

I don't understand the outcries at this release. It's one of the strongest shows of one of the strongest incarnations of the band. It sure has aged quite a bit, but it's still an excellent snapshot of a defining moment in the band's existence.

Besides, i personally find it unbelievable that in 81-82, the Stones got away with playing such sloppy messy shows in times when - with the likes of Michael Jackson - super tight professional musicians were putting on incredible shows. In 89-90, Jackson had done Thriller and Bad tours, and anybody who looks down on these needs to check this:

After THAT, the time when you could come onstage dressed as an american footballer with a hoarse voice and play 10 minute versions of noodlin' on two chords (Just My Imagination) was OVER - at least if you're gonna boast being "the greatest rock n' roll in the world". The Stones HAD to up their game and they did: 89-90 shows are a huge party machine, you could dance on that stuff. And the times were all about having a party, not about fighting in the streets; and the Stones were NOT rebels anymore and didn't pretend. They did everything right at the time, and the fact that we cannot stand the sound of synthetizers anymore is irrelevant. And, there is still a lot of light-hearted fun to get from recordings such as this one.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 14, 2012 12:50

More Hot Rocks
Ah!1 The stones comeback. Thank God no more coked @#$%& up spead up crap like 81

Sarcasm or sincere opinion...? sad smiley

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 14, 2012 15:26

dcba
More Hot Rocks

Sarcasm or sincere opinion...? sad smiley

mhr has now accepted 81 stones into his life with the rest of humanity. he turned the corner a few weeks ago. however, sometimes his old instincts resurface in brief moments of insanity. these episodes will ebb over time.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 11 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2261
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home