Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Track Talk: Winning Ugly
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 25, 2016 11:02

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

Winning Ugly

Composers: Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
Recording date and location: 10th September – 15th October 1985 RPM Studios & Right Track Studios, New York City, USA
15th November - 5th December Right Track Studios
Producers: Steve Lillywhite & The Glimmer Twins
Chief engineer: Dave Jerden

First released: Dirty Work (LP)
Release date: 24 March 1986 Rolling Stones Records OC 40250

Performed onstage: NEVER

Line-up:
Lead vocal: Mick Jagger
Electric guitars: Keith Richards & Ron Wood
Drums: Charlie Watts
Bass: John Regan
Background vocals: Mick Jagger, Janice Pendarvis & Dollette McDonald
Synthesizer: Chuck Leavell

Alternate versions:
- Winning Ugly I (MJ/KR) -early version with different lyrics
- Winning Ugly II (MJ/KR) -early version, longer than I with additional bass
- Winning Ugly III (MJ/KR) -Dirty Work-version
- Winning Ugly IV (MJ/KR) -7" shortened promo-version
- Winning Ugly V (MJ/KR) -12" London Mix, remixed by Steve Lillywhite
- Winning Ugly VI (MJ/KR) -12" NY Nix, remixed by Francois Kevorkian

Winning Ugly

I want to be on top, forever on the up
And damn the competition
I never play it fair, I never turn a hair
Just like the politicians

I wrap my conscience up, I want to win that cup
And get my money baby
But back in the dressing room
The other side is weeping

And we're winning, winning ugly

And we're heading for the heartbreak
Heading for the blues - yeah
Heading for the blues

I will not act unkind
I will not be so blind
I will not walk so proud
Come down from off my cloud

How can I live my life this way?
Beauty is staring me in the face
Ain't that the truth?
Ain't that the truth?

Hold on
Come on girl
Come on girl

Look out for number one, my country right or wrong
Let the devil take the hindmost
I was brought up to cheat so long as the referee
Wasn't looking

I'm never wrong at all, I always fight the call
I don't admit it
But back in the dressing room
The other side is screaming

And we're winning, winning ugly - yeah

Heading for the blues - yeah
Heading for the blues - yes

I will not act unkind
I will not be so blind
I will not walk so proud
Come down from off my cloud

How can I live my life this way?
Beauty is staring me in the face
Ain't that the truth?
Ain't that the truth?

Come on, baby
Come on, girl
A little bit louder
Walk a little bit prouder

Pretty, pretty, pretty
Yes

And we're winning, winning ugly - that's all right
Winning, winning, winning ugly - come on girl
Watch me sinning, winning, winning ugly
And we're winning, winning, winning ugly - winning ugly
Come on, stay on it, stay on it girl, stay on it girl (winning, winning ugly)
Come on, it's all right, it's all right (winning, winning ugly)

Note: Info taken from TIOMS, NZentgraf and the WW-Internet

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-02 11:12 by NICOS.

Re: Track Talk: Winning Ugly (New)
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 25, 2016 11:15

Would Mick had sang the whole song like he did between 3.00 and 3.30 min. and Charlie used a real drum kit I would have liked the song.......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-25 15:29 by NICOS.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 25, 2016 11:35

In the list of the "songs by the Stones that (almost) everyone hates", this is a classic. And for me, it's actually one I rather appreciate. The sound-production is terrible, especially the drums and the bass (and the backing vocals and the keyboards), but that's the 80's. But the song potentially could be much better: the melody, the chords, the guitars and the break are all good, and the over-the-top Mick vocals kind of work on this song too.
It's a pity it turned out the way it did, but it deserved a better treatment.

Date: April 25, 2016 11:44

matxil
In the list of the "songs by the Stones that (almost) everyone hates", this is a classic. And for me, it's actually one I rather appreciate. The sound-production is terrible, especially the drums and the bass (and the backing vocals and the keyboards), but that's the 80's. But the song potentially could be much better: the melody, the chords, the guitars and the break are all good, and the over-the-top Mick vocals kind of work on this song too.

+1

And this song features excellent guitar playing from Keith. Absolutely wonderful.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 25, 2016 11:53

If you get past the production, this is quite an enjoyable song.
I like the opening with John Regan's bass work. Didn't really know the guy before, but apparently
Mick also worked with him on the Dancing in the Street single for Live Aid.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 25, 2016 11:54

Nah this is a really ugly song without structure tune or anything to my ears...

smoking smiley
RZ

2 1 2 0

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 25, 2016 11:55

matxil

Great song, but production sound is terrible indeed. This goes for the whole Dirty Work album. Could have been a Masterpiece.
jeroen

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: April 25, 2016 12:23

A real brass section instead of those awful keyboards could helped to do more justice to this song with great KR's guitar work

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 25, 2016 12:36

1-0 to the Stones.

They got the job done but it was a horrible match which gotlost in the midfield - not much going on up top.

Bill was injured in the warm up and they had to bring on a sub, John Regan, who no one had ever heard of before...or did again after.

Keith and Ronnie coasted on the wings but with none of their famous interchange passing Mick had little to do in the middle except shout and scream for the ball.

In the end the Stones won a lucky penalty in the 88th minute and got the three points in the bag. But it's not a game the fans will want to see too many times again.

Sometimes you have to win ugly but I'd rather they brought back the beautiful game.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 25, 2016 12:39

Silver Dagger, a nice review in style!

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: April 25, 2016 13:08

marcovandereijk
Silver Dagger, a nice review in style!

It wasn't the beautiful Cruyf game of total football that the Stones
played so well before, particularly during the Jones years. Boy could that Brian move around the field, playing in just about every position. What an absolute all rounder. When he left they were never the same again!

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: April 25, 2016 13:10

I love Winning Ugly from the moment it starts, with a nice strutting bass-line and Charlie’s irresistibly funky drumming (which, thank God, lacks the ‘80s overproduced echo heard on so much of the rest of the album). Then Keith’s bluesy guitar, sounding sooooo so sweet, embraces us and gently carries us into the church of the Rolling Stones, where all of us broken, desperate, neglected, forgotten sinners will surely find compassion and healing and redemption and transcendence. And then Chuck Leavell’s stirring gospel keyboards, bathing everything in a warm, bluesy glow. Church is now in session and it’s time for Reverend Mick to enter and preach the good word. And that he does, rising up before us with a fiery sermon that proclaims (it would seem) his desire to be on top, at all costs, competition be damned. But as he continues, we realize he’s actually mocking those who will step on anyone in order to win. And, praise be to Jesus, the choir echoes and affirms the righteous message that he’s delivering.

It’s a splendid track, full of down-home gospel flavor and bluesy fervor, and the best song on Dirty Work (which is not saying a whole lot, I know).

Drew

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 25, 2016 13:22

I love that wonderfully exhilarating guitar line, and the lyrics are amusing.
Sold! to the sssoul with no shoes on :E

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 25, 2016 13:46

drewmaster
I love Winning Ugly from the moment it starts, with a nice strutting bass-line and Charlie’s irresistibly funky drumming (which, thank God, lacks the ‘80s overproduced echo heard on so much of the rest of the album). Then Keith’s bluesy guitar, sounding sooooo so sweet, embraces us and gently carries us into the church of the Rolling Stones, where all of us broken, desperate, neglected, forgotten sinners will surely find compassion and healing and redemption and transcendence. And then Chuck Leavell’s stirring gospel keyboards, bathing everything in a warm, bluesy glow. Church is now in session and it’s time for Reverend Mick to enter and preach the good word. And that he does, rising up before us with a fiery sermon that proclaims (it would seem) his desire to be on top, at all costs, competition be damned. But as he continues, we realize he’s actually mocking those who will step on anyone in order to win. And, praise be to Jesus, the choir echoes and affirms the righteous message that he’s delivering.

It’s a splendid track, full of down-home gospel flavor and bluesy fervor, and the best song on Dirty Work (which is not saying a whole lot, I know).

Drew
Are we hearing the same thing? Charlie's drums are INSANELY heavy on the '80s gated reverb snare on this song...thank you, Phil Collins.

Jagger's barking aside, I really don't get the hate for this song. If you hate '80s Stones, then you'll hate this. I think it's about par for the course...not great, but not terrible.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 25, 2016 14:38

Absolutely horrible. This is one of their low points. So many people apologizing for the song saying it is ok, but the production ruins it. It is an aimless piece of tripe. Horrible singing, horrible backing track. Just something I never would have expected to hear from The Stones.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: April 25, 2016 15:04

keefriff99
Are we hearing the same thing? Charlie's drums are INSANELY heavy on the '80s gated reverb snare on this song...thank you, Phil Collins.

To me it sounds quite acceptable, especially compared to the ridiculous echo on tracks like Too Rude, Sleep Tonight, and Hold Back.

Drew

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 25, 2016 15:09

drewmaster
keefriff99

To me it sounds quite acceptable, especially compared to the ridiculous echo on tracks like Too Rude, Sleep Tonight, and Hold Back.

Drew
Well yeah, but the first two you mentioned are slightly different. I think the drum sound on Winning Ugly and Hold Back represent the quintessential '80s hard rock sound.

The other tracks you mentioned just had additional echo and delay processing on them.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 25, 2016 15:23

I don't hate it, but I feel it would have been more at home on a Jagger solo record than on a Stones LP.

Date: April 25, 2016 15:34

The percussive echo on Too Rude is very typical for reggae/dub tracks produced a decade before the 80s, so it's not really comparable with the gated reverb snare-sound of the 80s.

That percussive echo-effect on Too Rude is also similar to the drums on Come Together by The Beatles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-25 15:50 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 25, 2016 15:47

Dreadful song. Had nothing going for it. Awful sound, awful production, awful lyrics. AWFUL.

Rod

Date: April 25, 2016 15:56

DandelionPowderman
The percussive echo on Too Rude is very typical for reggae/dub tracks produced a decade before the 80s, so it's not really comparable with the gated reverb snare-sound of the 80s.

That percussive echo-effect on Too Rude is also similar to the drums on Come Together by The Beatles.

You mean slap back echo?

Date: April 25, 2016 16:04

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman

You mean slap back echo?

We just call it an «echo machine» here in Norway smiling smiley

I'm not sure if the slap back-term was even invented when the Beatles' sound wizards produced this, but the effect is the same (supposedly coming from Ringo's bass dum on CT, whilst it's obviously from the snare on Too Rude).

PS. As I'm listening to the Clash's Sandinista right now, I hear they are using that drum echo as well (on the dubs on side 6) smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-25 16:29 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: April 25, 2016 17:34

DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman

You mean slap back echo?

I'm not sure if the slap back-term was even invented when the Beatles' sound wizards produced this, but the effect is the same (supposedly coming from Ringo's bass dum on CT, whilst it's obviously from the snare on Too Rude).

PS. As I'm listening to the Clash's Sandinista right now, I hear they are using that drum echo as well (on the dubs on side 6) smiling smiley

Version Pardner.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 25, 2016 18:44

The album has some Keith-penned songs with anti-Mick lyrics that Mick is singing. In Bill's STONE ALONE he said Had It with You is one such song. Did Mick realize he was singing an anti-Mick song? Anyway, I've wondered if Winning Ugly is in that category.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 25, 2016 18:50

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman

You mean slap back echo?

Version Pardner.

Courtesy in large part to Mikey Dread.
When I saw him open for the Clash at the Santa Monica Civic in 1980, he was met with displeasure and harrassment from a large faction of the audience who were unfamilar with Reggae/dub. To help ease the pressure on him, around the 2nd song two members of The Clash came on stage in disguise w/overcoats, hats, and sunglasses and danced all around the stage and Mikey grooving to the heavy dub set. Once the unruly punks in the crowd recognized the Clash, the rest of Mikey's set went without any problems. I remember smoking a giant spliff with my older brother (who was a weekend college radio dj that played only reggae) during the set, and taking in every second of the entire show - one of the best ever. (Lee Dorsey was also an opening act).

As for Winning Ugly (back on topic) - no comment. thumbs down

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 25, 2016 19:31

WU was played live by Jagger, Melbourne October 6, 1988. Exists on tape, but only incomplete I think.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 25, 2016 19:41

I hate everything about this song, especially the lyrics (at this point in time Jagger was just stringing together clichés) and the non-existent melody.
Jagger once said that he hated how it took the Stones forever to put together a song and wishes they could just take a couple of hours, put a number together and then go to the pub. But this song is what happens when he does that.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 25, 2016 19:46

Title5Take1
The album has some Keith-penned songs with anti-Mick lyrics that Mick is singing. In Bill's STONE ALONE he said Had It with You is one such song.
Did Mick realize he was singing an anti-Mick song? Anyway, I've wondered if Winning Ugly is in that category.

I believe Bill got the wrong title there - Had It With You is a collaboration, the Glimmers singing a love song to each other :E
Dirty Work (the track) too, if I'm not mistaken.

Fight on the other hand is a clear rage-against-the-Mick song and of course the Mick was aware of it - how could he miss it?!
It's funny and charming that he sang it anyway :E

Winning Ugly is apparently a Mick number. Doesn't sound to me like it's aimed at Keith, but what do I know :E

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 25, 2016 20:39

whitem8
Absolutely horrible. This is one of their low points. So many people apologizing for the song saying it is ok, but the production ruins it. It is an aimless piece of tripe. Horrible singing, horrible backing track. Just something I never would have expected to hear from The Stones.

Agree, and the worst part is the absolutely embarrassing lyrics ... probably the all time worst lyrics from any Stones song, imo.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 25, 2016 21:35

Yes, terrible lyrics. However, Mick has struggled writing relevant lyrics for quite a while now. It really started in the 80s.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1573
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home