Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Vaults question
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: November 1, 2021 19:11

The Satanic Majesties album had those bootlegs which contained multiple alternative takes of songs on the released album.There are hours of alternate takes of songs from the Let it Be Sessions There was an Imagine deluxe release with dozens of alternate album takes. Do you think the Stones or ABKCO still have these types of recordings for albums like Beggars Banquet or Let it Bleed or have they been lost or thrown away

Re: Vaults question
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: November 1, 2021 21:27

well the recent leak of ffso included she's doing her thing and blood red wine from satanic and beggars sessions and since it seems that this leak came from someone close to the stones orginization i think we can assume that abcko has long since digitized there archives

and crossfire hurricane had lots of little snippets of abcko era outtakes
i seem to remember someone who worked on it said he went thru many many takes of no expectations till he found the right one

so i personally think they have everything we do plus a lot more we don't

Date: November 1, 2021 21:30

and as to whether or not well ever see them released i don't know but in thread about what the next archive releases should be i asked a similar question to yours and retired_dog responded with this interesting hint about next year

Yes and no, they've shown that they can cooperate like on the projects you mentioned above and others like career-spanning compilations like 40 Licks and GRRR!, but as far as I know there's still no general agreement, it's always project-based, therefore we had Satanic, Beggars & Bleed anniversary sets without any unreleased bonus material. There was talk some time ago that the Stones supposedly tried to buy the rights back from ABKCO to get full control over their entire catalog, but nothing came to frution so far (or otherwise it would be the best kept secret in the world!).

Meanwhile, a lot of 60's live and studio material have entered the public domain due to EC copyright legislation and the Stones did nothing to prevent this by allowing ABKCO to release the material in question timely enough (like Dylan, for example).

There's talk behind the scenes that next year's 60th anniversary will not only see the release of the all-new album but also more archive material, some in cooperation with ABKCO, but I'm not allowed to go into further details here.

Let's just wait and see what they have in store for us next year!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-27 02:08 by retired_dog
[/quote]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-01 21:34 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: November 1, 2021 22:09

I know there isn’t much commercial interest in it, but I’d like to listen to20 takes of Street Fighting Man.Or Gimme Shelter with Brian or Ry Cooder

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-01 22:29 by Taylor1.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 2, 2021 06:42

No interest in outtakes. Stones end result is almost always the best. Unless a song is done a different tempo, etc, there's not much in the outtakes.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: November 2, 2021 08:53

I have no doubt Abkco and the Stones have many outtakes. The Fully Finished Outtakes and the Abkco Copyright Extension posts on YouTube prove it.

Why the Satanic, Beggars, Let It Bleed issues is anybody's guess.

There has been other evidence Mick has many outtakes and concerts (I think there were some tapes shown in the Being Mick documentary).

There was news in the last month or so bout Abkco suing for something, I can't remember what.

We know Bill Wyman went through the vaults to try to make what became Metamorphosis.

In a 1995 interview with Keith Williams, Keith Richard said that he has "thousands of hours" of tracks with Mick (apx 3:45) in the excerpt from that interview:

[we.tl]

We certainly could use an official Chess sessions release with the leftovers from the RCA sessions. Satisfaction with Brian's blues harmonica (Shindig) is the missing link between the early Blues era to the next era where the Stones heavily wrote their own songs.

There are people on IORR forum who know a lot more than I do.

Date: November 2, 2021 10:49

Taylor1
The Satanic Majesties album had those bootlegs which contained multiple alternative takes of songs on the released album.There are hours of alternate takes of songs from the Let it Be Sessions There was an Imagine deluxe release with dozens of alternate album takes. Do you think the Stones or ABKCO still have these types of recordings for albums like Beggars Banquet or Let it Bleed or have they been lost or thrown away

As the songs were arranged differently, and more psychedelig, I reckon that they did more takes of the songs on the Satanic Sessions.

However, they have Trident and other goodies. Some were used for Metamorphosis, though.

There are at least multiple/more takes of songs like Family, Jiving Sister Fanny and others.

Date: November 2, 2021 13:08

24FPS
No interest in outtakes. Stones end result is almost always the best. Unless a song is done a different tempo, etc, there's not much in the outtakes.

okay no interest in studio outtakes

how bout a complete box set of all the shows that where recorded for got live if you want it in 65 and 66 plus the shows from ireland in 65 all properly cleaned up and mixed into stereo

what are the chances all these tapes still exist or where properly digitized

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 2, 2021 14:15

ProfessorWolf
24FPS

how bout a complete box set of all the shows that where recorded for got live if you want it in 65 and 66 plus the shows from ireland in 65 all properly cleaned up and mixed into stereo

All the tapes you mentioned were "touched" for the 2012 release of "Charlie Is My Darling", in particular for the live UK 1965 bonus disc (wich is a compilation from various shows). And they sound great imo! So you can bet that everything is in safe storage.

Date: November 2, 2021 16:26

retired_dog
ProfessorWolf
24FPS

All the tapes you mentioned were "touched" for the 2012 release of "Charlie Is My Darling", in particular for the live UK 1965 bonus disc (wich is a compilation from various shows). And they sound great imo! So you can bet that everything is in safe storage.

that's great i suspected that because of the uk 65 release but what about the tapes from 66

also what about the tapes for the radio broadcasts of there shows (honolulu 66 the paris shows from 65-67 and melbourne/sydney 66) do they still exist does abcko have them have they been digitized

i seem to remember tracks from these shows being released for the copyright extension releases but does that mean they have the tapes and right to them

sorry if i'm bugging you just courious

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-02 16:44 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 3, 2021 02:37

ProfessorWolf
retired_dog
ProfessorWolf
24FPS

that's great i suspected that because of the uk 65 release but what about the tapes from 66

also what about the tapes for the radio broadcasts of there shows (honolulu 66 the paris shows from 65-67 and melbourne/sydney 66) do they still exist does abcko have them have they been digitized

i seem to remember tracks from these shows being released for the copyright extension releases but does that mean they have the tapes and right to them

As far as I know ABKCO never brought any "external" master tapes (like the french & australian broadcasts you mentioned) into their physical possession. Consequently, for their "copyright extension" releases they simply used existing bootlegs. A rather fishy move imo, because a "legal release" to constitute a copyright extension according to EC laws requires legal agreements of all parties concerned - in this case ABKCO as the Stones contractual record company for the time period in question, the Stones themselves as performing artists PLUS the respective radio stations as legal holders of the master tapes. I strongly doubt that such a legal agreement between all parties concerned actually exists. Everything looks like ABKCO just did these releases on their own and hopes this will hold up at court one day.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-03 02:43 by retired_dog.

Date: November 3, 2021 04:31

retired_dog
ProfessorWolf
retired_dog
ProfessorWolf
24FPS

As far as I know ABKCO never brought any "external" master tapes (like the french & australian broadcasts you mentioned) into their physical possession. Consequently, for their "copyright extension" releases they simply used existing bootlegs. A rather fishy move imo, because a "legal release" to constitute a copyright extension according to EC laws requires legal agreements of all parties concerned - in this case ABKCO as the Stones contractual record company for the time period in question, the Stones themselves as performing artists PLUS the respective radio stations as legal holders of the master tapes. I strongly doubt that such a legal agreement between all parties concerned actually exists. Everything looks like ABKCO just did these releases on their own and hopes this will hold up at court one day.

well hopefully some kind of deal can be struck on the paris shows they would make a terrific box set

Date: November 3, 2021 05:50

ProfessorWolf
retired_dog
ProfessorWolf
retired_dog
ProfessorWolf
24FPS

well hopefully some kind of deal can be struck on the paris shows they would make a terrific box set

Hawaii '66 sounds like crap. Is any of the 66/67 stuff stereo?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 3, 2021 05:58

Not sure of the time context but... UMe/ABKCO have been/were/are, apparently, exercising what’s known as the “use it or lose it” option under the new law.

Pursuant to the “use it or lose it” provision (Directive 2001/77/EU, Art. 3(1)), recordings are only entitled to the 20-year extension if they are offered for sale to the public before the expiration of the original 50-year term.

Notwithstanding the strategies employed by Sony Music and Universal with their recent archival releases, the new law has yet to take full effect in EU member countries and there is still uncertainty around exactly how certain provisions of the law will operate. For example, there appears to be no established protocol for what constitutes “for sale in sufficient quantity” or what a label must do to make recordings “available” to retain copyright control.

[www.hugheshubbard.com]

Date: November 3, 2021 20:53

24FPS
ProfessorWolf
retired_dog
ProfessorWolf
retired_dog
ProfessorWolf
24FPS

they recorded several shows in britain in 66 for got live it you want it and though i don't
know for certain i belevie they would have used the same 3 track tape for those shows as the ones in 65 and the original release of the got live album included a bad (in my opinion) stereo mix i'd say it's safe to assume these tapes if they still exist are capable of being mixed into stereo and since the 2002 gliywi has a different version of under my thumb on it seems likely that they do still exist

also i love honolulu 66 but your right it was not recorded well the paris l'olympia shows on the other hand sound really good especially the shows from 66 and 67 though I doubt they could be mixed into stereo but i'm no expert

Date: November 4, 2021 19:40

ProfessorWolf
24FPS
ProfessorWolf
retired_dog
ProfessorWolf
retired_dog
ProfessorWolf
24FPS

they recorded several shows in britain in 66 for got live it you want it and though i don't
know for certain i belevie they would have used the same 3 track tape for those shows as the ones in 65 and the original release of the got live album included a bad (in my opinion) stereo mix i'd say it's safe to assume these tapes if they still exist are capable of being mixed into stereo and since the 2002 gliywi has a different version of under my thumb on it seems likely that they do still exist

also i love honolulu 66 but your right it was not recorded well the paris l'olympia shows on the other hand sound really good especially the shows from 66 and 67 though I doubt they could be mixed into stereo but i'm no expert

If they could spiff up those horrendous BBC tapes, they could do wonders with Paris 66/67.

Date: November 4, 2021 19:44

Paris 67 is already released on iTunes. Wasn't that stereo? Can't recall.

Date: November 4, 2021 22:57

DandelionPowderman

well i didn't know that could someone explain how that one sounds
be really weird and awesome if it was in stereo but i kind of doubt it
did they remove the announcer who talks over the music

Date: November 4, 2021 23:05

ProfessorWolf
DandelionPowderman

well i didn't know that could someone explain how that one sounds
be really weird and awesome if it was in stereo but i kind of doubt it
did they remove the announcer who talks over the music

Here you go, mate: [www.dropbox.com]

Date: November 4, 2021 23:07

thanks missed this one

Date: November 5, 2021 01:56

well not stereo but still sounds good seems to be a copy of the boot sources though but what elses is new with the copyright extension releases

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1921
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home