Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Track Talk : Come To The Ball
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 22, 2021 15:20

Wow, what a great reworking of the old Windmill/Wind Call instrumental outtake ! Here it is on YouTube (sounds better on the CD !) :

It first appeared (outside of the mysterious "trading circles") on "Could You Walk On The Water" (VGP-027) in 1994. It was listed there as being from the December 1974 Munich sessions but it was then thought to be from the January 1973 Village Recorder, LA sessions (confirmed in the TY Deluxe release notes). Not sure why, maybe Karnbach (who had access to some studio logs) mentioned it in his book in 1997, would have to check. Or maybe because the version that appeared later (not sure when/where) has some great slide work that sounds like Taylor so it wouldn't be Munich 1974, could have been Munich 1973 of course. Actually I wouldn't be that surprised if it was the track labeled "Give Us a Break" that was mastered for GHS (as seen in the pictures released last year) and that's never shown up.

Anyway "Come To The Ball" turned out great I think and I'd place at the top of the reworked tracks we got since 2010 and the first Deluxe release. "Plundered My Soul" belongs there too but since it was a completely unknown track it's not as "fascinating". Here we have this rather "aimless" backing track that was whipped into shape by Mick (with Clifford's help ?) with some great vocal lines and muddy, as they should, vocals. I've often read about singers placing melodies and vocals on an existing backing tracks and been left a bit puzzled as to how that worked exactly, there we have a good answer ;-) Oh and the slide is much more audible than on that first version.

Credits (from TY Deluxe) :
Produced by : Jimmy Miller
Recorded by : Andy Johns and Baker Bigsby
Guitar : Mick Taylor
Piano : Nicky Hopkins

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-22 17:42 by gotdablouse.

Re: Track Talk : Come To The Ball
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 22, 2021 15:30

I share your enthusiasm and Mr Karnbach liked it too!

[iorr.org]
(I wonder if he bought the tape from the engineer and added it to the Vault..).

Imho the female backing vocals work nicely but Mick could have added some horns at the very end of the track. But he kept MT's slide part, which is a big plus.

Just noticed... at 1.06 the riffing is similar to the main one on "Cellophane Trousers".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-22 15:38 by dcba.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: October 22, 2021 15:39

Very very nice track. Love the the overall energy and way the vocals are mixed suitably low -

Date: October 22, 2021 17:40

Really good job there by Mick and ? (the artwork posted so far does not have any details on the rerecordings ?). It doesn't seem like Ronnie overdubbed anything here which is just as well given how it "stands out" (not in a good way) on TAC and LIAHL ;-)

@dcba - nice find on the VJ link ! Going up a bit in that thread, at the time Nico still thought it was a B&B track. It must have changed based on that thread ;-) I remember that the "slide" version sort of appeared out of the blue, possibly around that time too.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 22, 2021 18:53

This is the only one of the Lost and Found outtakes I DON’T like. Something just sounds off to me. Like it’s a bad cut and paste.

Fiji Jim and Fast Talking, Slow Walking though are both revelations to me. NEVER really took much notice of them on bootlegs. But on here, in this company, they’re bloody outstanding.

Rod

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: October 23, 2021 21:57

The best thing in this song i that Jagger s voice is not so in front
But the tube has no melody, no bridge, no solo...is s repetitive thing

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: October 25, 2021 15:01

This one is probably my favorite of the bunch. It’s got an edge to it. The opening lick sounds to me like what they did in the outro jam for “Heartbreaker” in ‘73, no?

Date: October 25, 2021 15:25

MelBelli
This one is probably my favorite of the bunch. It’s got an edge to it. The opening lick sounds to me like what they did in the outro jam for “Heartbreaker” in ‘73, no?

Indeed.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: October 25, 2021 19:00

Not Bill on bass I think.

Mick T I would say. Hmmm, now thinking Keith!

I like it more than most stuff on IORR - could easily make a better version of that album knowing now what there was to play with.

But it sounds / feels closer to an exile vibe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-10-25 19:07 by Four Stone Walls.

Date: October 25, 2021 19:09

Still enjoying that track. BTW I keep hearing this as a speedier version of "Built That Way", must be the doo woop like chord progression, is it just me ?

--------------

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: October 25, 2021 21:46

bitusa2012
This is the only one of the Lost and Found outtakes I DON’T like. Something just sounds off to me. Like it’s a bad cut and paste.

Fiji Jim and Fast Talking, Slow Walking though are both revelations to me. NEVER really took much notice of them on bootlegs. But on here, in this company, they’re bloody outstanding.

... me too....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1901
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home