Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
LIVE ALBUM TALK: No Security
Date: March 11, 2016 11:12

NO SECURITY

Virgin Records
Release date: November 2, 1998

Track list:

You Got Me Rocking
Gimmie Shelter
Flip the Switch
Memory Motel
Corinna
Saint of Me
Waiting on a Friend
Sister Morphine
Live with Me
Respectable
Thief in the Night
The Last Time
Out of Control

The japanese issue includes the following bonus track:

I Just Want to Make Love to You

What are your thoughts on this live album?

Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: No Security
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 11, 2016 11:16

Another Brilliant Live-album from My Favorite Band.

Just listen up to:

Memory Motel
Live with me
Thief in the night

for a starter...

thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: March 11, 2016 11:59

This is the least played livealbum by the Stones that I have. I really don`t know why, but it just hasn`t done it to me. Although the tracklist is good... Maybe I have to give it a new listen this weekend....

Date: March 11, 2016 12:00

gibsonman
This is the least played livealbum by the Stones that I have. I really don`t know why, but it just hasn`t done it to me. Although the tracklist is good... Maybe I have to give it a new listen this weekend....

Yep. I listened once to Dylans Real Live when it was released..nowadays it's Worth gold...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: March 11, 2016 12:03

Great tour. Boring livealbum. Uninspired. Could have been a lot better....

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: March 11, 2016 12:07

Come On
gibsonman

Yep. I listened once to Dylans Real Live when it was released..nowadays it's Worth gold...

Some songs and albums just have to "grow" on you before you like it. Same with Black and Blue. Really didn`t like it at all in the beginning, but I can enjoy it now. Not their best album of course, but still... So I admit I might have been unfair to NS and promise I will give it a new try... cool smiley

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 11, 2016 12:42

It's an interesting collection of songs played live.
Compared to Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!, Love you live and Still Live, this one doesn't play
like a concert setlist. It lacks the dynamics of great openers, working towards a grande
finale. A lot of slow songs too.

But the songs themselves are played well and are very entertaining.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: March 11, 2016 12:46

The ultimate would have been a mixture of the three night at MSG 1998 on two or three cd's which actually was planned to be released before No Security was made. ''I Just Wanna Make Love To You'' from MSG #3 was released as a Japanese bonus track and it's the best version I've heard, too bad it's not on youtube.

No Security is still the best sounding of any Stones live record, and the performance isn't bad either. It has some gems but is partly ruined by stinkers like ''Memory Motel'' with Dave Matthews, the chessy ''Waiting On A Friend.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-11 12:47 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: March 11, 2016 12:59

TheBlockbuster
The ultimate would have been a mixture of the three night at MSG 1998 on two or three cd's which actually was planned to be released before No Security was made. ''I Just Wanna Make Love To You'' from MSG #3 was released as a Japanese bonus track and it's the best version I've heard, too bad it's not on youtube.

No Security is still the best sounding of any Stones live record, and the performance isn't bad either. It has some gems but is partly ruined by stinkers like ''Memory Motel'' with Dave Matthews, the chessy ''Waiting On A Friend.

The bonus track is not from MSG but from one of the Amsterdam ArenA shows where most of the album was recorded.

CD ‘No Security’ (Virgin VJCP-25426, -Japan).
Producers: The Glimmer Twins.
Sound engineer: Ed Cherney.
Recorded live on the Bridges To Babylon World
Tour. Incl. one Japan-only bonus-track:
- I Just Wanna Make Love To You (Willie Dixon) -Amsterdam 1.7.98

Posted by: marko ()
Date: March 11, 2016 13:01

I have never understood why they have released incomplete "shows",this is/was just like still life,flashpoint and live licks.Compilation of live versions and these have never given the right image of the tour.Waste of time really.Song selection is great on all of these but they don´t go nowhere.
Shine a light was sort of complete,but its utterly boring and so on.Only their vaults release has been worth buying and listening.

Date: March 11, 2016 13:05

marko
I have never understood why they have released incomplete "shows",this is/was just like still life,flashpoint and live licks.Compilation of live versions and these have never given the right image of the tour.Waste of time really.Song selection is great on all of these but they don´t go nowhere.
Shine a light was sort of complete,but its utterly boring and so on.Only their vaults release has been worth buying and listening.

Most bands did.

Date: March 11, 2016 13:27

DandelionPowderman
NO SECURITY

Virgin Records

Track list:

You Got Me Rocking
Gimmie Shelter
Flip the Switch
Memory Motel
Corinna
Saint of Me
Waiting on a Friend
Sister Morphine
Live with Me
Respectable
Thief in the Night
The Last Time
Out of Control

This is a very underrated live album. The bonus track from the Japanese disc is a must.

"Gimme Shelter" and "Live With Me" are not bad but not quite as good as the 1995 live b-side versions (or some later and earlier versions).

I would rather have had "Memory Motel" without Dave Matthews and some more songs from that tour such as "Crazy Mama" and "19th Nervous Breakdown" but,overall,a pretty good live album.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: March 11, 2016 13:34

Winning Ugly VXII
DandelionPowderman
NO SECURITY

Virgin Records

Track list:

You Got Me Rocking
Gimmie Shelter
Flip the Switch
Memory Motel
Corinna
Saint of Me
Waiting on a Friend
Sister Morphine
Live with Me
Respectable
Thief in the Night
The Last Time
Out of Control

This is a very underrated live album. The bonus track from the Japanese disc is a must.

"Gimme Shelter" and "Live With Me" are not bad but not quite as good as the 1995 live b-side versions (or some later and earlier versions).

I would rather have had "Memory Motel" without Dave Matthews and some more songs from that tour such as "Crazy Mama" and "19th Nervous Breakdown" but,overall,a pretty good live album.

Exactly what i think as well.thumbs up

Date: March 11, 2016 13:55

Everytime I revisit this album it strikes me how good it is!

It's not one of the live albums I listen most frequently to, though. But it's good to have those deep cuts on a live album, and they're very well-played, too.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 11, 2016 14:46

gibsonman
This is the least played livealbum by the Stones that I have.

I don't even have it smoking smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 11, 2016 14:49

I think the band has had a habit of not caring about their live albums. This is another example of that. I would have prefered a straight live recording from any gig on the Babylon Tour before this.
And the cover stinks too. My personal guess is that no one in the band listened to this one before the release.

Date: March 11, 2016 15:04

Stoneage
I think the band has had a habit of not caring about their live albums. This is another example of that. I would have prefered a straight live recording from any gig on the Babylon Tour before this.
And the cover stinks too. My personal guess is that no one in the band listened to this one before the release.

Respectfully disagree. It's well known that they made this live album for the die-hards, and therefore included deep cuts and rarely played songs never before released on live albums (with Live With Me and The Last Time being the exceptions).

If you take your time listening through it, you'll find that these are some of the greatest live performances of those tracks ever. Especially for songs like Out Of Control, Waiting On A Friend, Flip The Switch, You Got Me Rocking and Memory Motel.

Your description of the album is way more fitting with Live Licks, imo, where there are two open G-guitars on the verses on CYHMK (only one of them played by Keith!) and the infamous edit on Rocks Off.

THAT was an album they probably hadn't listened to. NS was something they selected for the fans and worked on themselves.

Date: March 11, 2016 15:07

DandelionPowderman
Everytime I revisit this album it strikes me how good it is!

It's not one of the live albums I listen most frequently to, though. But it's good to have those deep cuts on a live album, and they're very well-played, too.

Yeah, it's very true that there is no feeling of listening to an Concert, more like one of Zappas 'Live-albums' where they put together nice versions of songs and makes a album out of that...

2 1 2 0

Date: March 11, 2016 15:09

The most scary thing about it is how well YGMR fitted as an opening number...

Date: March 11, 2016 15:14

DandelionPowderman

OK for me..they started with that one 2003 on Stadion in Sthlm...grinning smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: March 11, 2016 15:20

Come On
DandelionPowderman

OK for me..they started with that one 2003 on Stadion in Sthlm...grinning smiley

No, they didn't. I was there, and they started with Brown Sugar smoking smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 11, 2016 15:30

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Respectfully disagree. It's well known that they made this live album for the die-hards, and therefore included deep cuts and rarely played songs never before released on live albums (with Live With Me and The Last Time being the exceptions).

If you take your time listening through it, you'll find that these are some of the greatest live performances of those tracks ever. Especially for songs like Out Of Control, Waiting On A Friend, Flip The Switch, You Got Me Rocking and Memory Motel.

Your description of the album is way more fitting with Live Licks, imo, where there are two open G-guitars on the verses on CYHMK (only one of them played by Keith!) and the infamous edit on Rocks Off.

THAT was an album they probably hadn't listened to. NS was something they selected for the fans and worked on themselves.

Well, I might speak only for myself but if they were going for the "die-hards" they should have made it a double CD with a bonus-CD with extra material (rare songs). And maybe a nice leaflet with pictures from the tour.
For a die-hard fan less isn't more...

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: March 11, 2016 15:30

Definitive version of this album (until they release a 'deluxe' version of it...) is the Japanese edition with I Just Want To Make Love To You coming after Respectable and before Thief In The Night. All in all, great live album with less "hits" than usual (no BS, JJF, SFTD...).

[www.discogs.com]

Date: March 11, 2016 15:33

Stoneage
DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Well, I might speak only for myself but if they were going for the "die-hards" they should have made it a double CD with a bonus-CD with extra material (rare songs). And maybe a nice leaflet with pictures from the tour.
For a die-hard fan less isn't more...

I don't think it was that common (even in 1998) to release whole shows as live albums. I might be wrong, though.

But some of the point with this release was (according to interviews with Mick) was to give the fans some obscure numbers/rarely played songs.

Date: March 11, 2016 15:34

kowalski
Definitive version of this album (until they release a 'deluxe' version of it...) is the Japanese edition with I Just Want To Make Love To You coming after Respectable and before Thief In The Night. All in all, great live album with less "hits" than usual (no BS, JJF, SFTD...).

[www.discogs.com]

And finally without Matt's horrible synth-harp smiling smiley

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: March 11, 2016 15:47

DandelionPowderman
...Live Licks... the infamous edit on Rocks Off.

Which edit?

Olly.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 11, 2016 15:49

kowalski

[www.discogs.com]

A deluxe version would be nice but the original version still hasn't been reissued yet. The Stones' website has been saying that it "will be reissued later this year" for about three years now!
[www.rollingstones.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: March 11, 2016 15:51

Olly
DandelionPowderman
...Live Licks... the infamous edit on Rocks Off.

Which edit?

Try to find «the sunshine bores the daylight out of me» on that version. Good luck smiling smiley

Posted by: tk421 ()
Date: March 11, 2016 15:51

Was there ever a high rez or lossless version of the Japanese No Security available? My CD is long gone and been dying to listen to this again. It's the one album I misplaced and the one album they never made available when they went to UMC. Always loved it. Might be in the minority but Flip The Switch was fantastic.

Date: March 11, 2016 15:52

I recommend the vinyl. It's definitely one of the latter-day albums that sounds best thumbs up

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1714
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home