Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Back to gigs
Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: August 21, 2021 02:50

While the plague of our times is still rampant and showing little sign of going away, gigs, tours and festivals are returning to our life one by one as the vaccination proliferates among people. Unfortunately but understandably, more of them are postponed or cancelled as well, though...

Last night (Thursday 19th) I caught my first gig in almost one and a half year since Music For The Marsden, the all star charity event at the O2 Arena, on March 2, last year. That the highlight of the evening was “Slowhand and Van” is, in retrospect, suggestive in a rather unfortunate sort of the way.

My back to the gig #1 was black midi, one of the most talked about among the groups who came into the U.K. music scene for the last two years or so. A kind of avant-punk/noise-rock/prog/free-jazz type of music, whatever it is (have a picture?). The Pop Group, This Heat, Mars Volta, King Crimson et al spring up to my mind. Intense and improvisational. The members’ age barely over twenty, their technical skills were all too apparent. No support, no encore, the performance finished as soon as it started, a blitzkrieg that lasted just over 50 minutes. Felt a bit shortchanged for a whopping 26 quid I have to say.

Strangely enough, the music also somehow reminded me of some of the modern underground Japanese music. Back home I checked the internet — indeed some of the members are into that type, namely Boredoms, Melt Banana, Melzbow, Shonen Knife to name a few. Their group name is also taken from the Japanese (computer-originated) music genre, Black MIDI.

Worth mentioning is the venue — the semi-outdoor dome newly built for the renowned Edinburgh International Festival, situated in Edinburgh Park on the western outskirts of the city towards the airport. Over the floor space of a large-sized concert hall, folding chairs arranged with enough social distance between them, the full capacity is less than 700 (were it all standing, I’d guess ten times or more of the spectators could be housed). With open-sided walls all around, sufficient ventilation is considered for the safe measures. No proof of vaccination or negative test result was required, although wearing a face covering was directed when leaving your seat and moving around the venue. As I observed, about 10% of the spectators were wearing face masks during the performance, me included.
Despite a rather uncomfortable situation, the reaction from the audience who was sitting through the show was quite enthusiastic. It felt very weird to be back to a gig in such a way though — is it the future to come? I hope not...

I have a few gigs pencilled in for the next few weeks. And I am intending to report them whenever time allows, my hesitant attempts to get back to the concert-going. If any of you IORRians do the same, posting your experience on this thread will be informative and enlightening for the other members. Thank you for reading.

[www.eif.co.uk]

[www.eif.co.uk]

Re: OT: Back to gigs
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 21, 2021 03:58

I jumped into the deep end so to speak with a recent trip to Austin.
Four nights, four shows. One club gig with The Heartless Bastards, followed by a three night stand at Austin City Limits with Jason Isbell and Lucinda Williams.

Was his first shows after he announced his much publicized stance of playing only venues where vax proof or negative test within 72 hours are required, or he cancels the gig.

Wasn't sure what to expect as the policy was enacted only a couple days before I left. Was near the front of the line on night one, wanting to get the rail to welcome back Lu for her first few shows after her stroke (the main reason I went).

Gotta say, it couldn't have been a better system they had in place.
Vax proof checking (digital or hard copy) with ID checked essentially in line before security. Couple behind me (and a few others) who hadn't heard, rushed to a testing site, set up by the venue/promoter just two blocks away, and they were back right behind me at the rail. Very few no shows for the whole three nights (about ten percent they estimate). Not bad, especially in Texas.

Got tested when I returned for safe measure, and have been essentially isolating since I landed a week and a half ago now.

If shows (including the Stones) get cancelled or postponed again, I am so glad I went to these shows. Glad either way, but these were a much appreciated reprieve.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: August 21, 2021 05:44

Large crowds are starting to scare me and I am so used to not going thru all the associated hassles but so far

5/15/21 Silverado Showdown @ Oak Canyon Park with Nekromantix, Throw Rag, Delta Bombers, Jesse Dayton

6/19/21 Dee Skusting & The Rodents @ Offbeat Bar

7/10/21 Sioux City Pete, Monodelux, Superlegend Frankie Delmaine @ Redwood

7/17/21 Roger McGuinn @ Scher Forum Thousand Oaks, CA

7/25/21 Blue Oyster Cult & Jefferson Starship @ Starlight Bowl

8/18/21 Sparks @ Hollywood Forever Cemetery (short set for Annette premier, free show)

8/19/21 Guns N Roses / Mammoth WVH @ Banc Of California Stadium (basically to observe and report on Covid era entrance procedures but got handed a free ticket)

Was rewarded with best GNR show since 1991!

have a few tickets to things but just not feeling it anymore. Would be the same if not for Delta & Antivaxx loons

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: August 21, 2021 07:06

Dan
Large crowds are starting to scare me and I am so used to not going thru all the associated hassles but so far

5/15/21 Silverado Showdown @ Oak Canyon Park with Nekromantix, Throw Rag, Delta Bombers, Jesse Dayton

6/19/21 Dee Skusting & The Rodents @ Offbeat Bar

7/10/21 Sioux City Pete, Monodelux, Superlegend Frankie Delmaine @ Redwood

7/17/21 Roger McGuinn @ Scher Forum Thousand Oaks, CA

7/25/21 Blue Oyster Cult & Jefferson Starship @ Starlight Bowl

8/18/21 Sparks @ Hollywood Forever Cemetery (short set for Annette premier, free show)

8/19/21 Guns N Roses / Mammoth WVH @ Banc Of California Stadium (basically to observe and report on Covid era entrance procedures but got handed a free ticket)

Was rewarded with best GNR show since 1991!

have a few tickets to things but just not feeling it anymore. Would be the same if not for Delta & Antivaxx loons

smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-21 07:07 by StonedAsiaExile.

Date: August 21, 2021 14:41

I attended several shows (as a journalist) in Oslo Prison yesterday. The best of Norway's young jazz musicians played for the inmates.

It was fantastic thumbs up

Date: August 21, 2021 15:41

DandelionPowderman
I attended several shows (as a journalist) in Oslo Prison yesterday. The best of Norway's young jazz musicians played for the inmates.

Good for yousmiling smiley

Were any safe measures taken on site?

Date: August 21, 2021 15:52

RisingStone
DandelionPowderman

We had to take a rapid covid test at the entrance, even though we were all fully vaxed. Normal distances between seats inside.

Date: August 21, 2021 16:12

DandelionPowderman
RisingStone
DandelionPowderman

We had to take a rapid covid test at the entrance, even though we were all fully vaxed. Normal distances between seats inside.

Sounds sensible.
Yeah, I wonder how they keep the safety in regard to the COVID in a place like a prison.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1772
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home